IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Weak Headlamps and High-Beams. :|

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-13, 11:26 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Weak Headlamps and High-Beams. :|

Anyone else feel our headlamps and high-beams are weak?

They’re much brighter on my other cars and I feel our headlamp brightness should be the at least that of our high-beams.

Anyone replace or 'upgrade' bulbs due to same?

Last edited by dbs600; 12-07-13 at 07:40 AM.
Old 12-07-13, 02:22 AM
jennypenny
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Yours is LED headlamps or HID?
Old 12-07-13, 03:14 AM
IS35OF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read many times that the LED headlights fitted to US vehicles have less light output to those UK/JDM/Australian etc. vehicles fitted with the HID Xenon lights.

I would of thought LED would be better being newer technology, but if that's the case, I'm glad our Australian models come with Xenons. LED headlights are only available on the hybrid IS here as far as I know (obviously for power consumption reasons I assume.)

Now sure of its possible to upgrade LED headlights??
Old 12-07-13, 07:38 AM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jennypenny
Yours is LED headlamps or HID?
I'm not sure. I have a 2014 Lexus IS350 AWD F Sport w/ Nav and BSM.

How do I find out? Didn't know we could chose between LED's and HID's.

Originally Posted by IS35OF
I have read many times that the LED headlights fitted to US vehicles have less light output to those UK/JDM/Australian etc. vehicles fitted with the HID Xenon lights.
Really? Where did you read this? Didn't know there are differences.

Is the US the only market where the IS has LED's?

Hmm... Thanks. :|
Old 12-07-13, 10:35 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dbs600
Didn't know we could chose between LED's and HID's.
HID's are standard and LED's are part of the Premium package.

A good read on headlights, pluses and minuses of each type:

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/ba...led-26530.html
Old 12-07-13, 11:13 AM
Indie
Driver School Candidate

I'm not sure. I have a 2014 Lexus IS350 AWD F Sport w/ Nav and BSM.

How do I find out? Didn't know we could chose between LED's and HID's.

Really? Where did you read this? Didn't know there are differences.

Is the US the only market where the IS has LED's?

Hmm... Thanks. :|
If you have FSport.... In the U.S..... You have LED headlights
Old 12-07-13, 11:52 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Indie
If you have FSport.... In the U.S..... You have LED headlights
Absolutely correct, LED's are port of the F Sport package as well. Good catch Indie!
Old 12-07-13, 11:55 AM
dAiLL3sT
Lexus Test Driver

does anyone know if a hid kit would be able to work on these LED headlights?
Old 12-07-13, 12:00 PM
hoosier1
Driver

Compared to HID, the LED lights have a whiter light that matches the running lights and a broad side-to-side beam. Down the road projection is slightly less than HID, but there are so many variables with lighting depending on projector design. Based on my experience, BMW has the best adaptive HID headlights, but they now offer LED headlights as a $1,600 option. LED headlights will likely last for the lifetime of the car and will be the future standard for automobile lighting.

I find the LED headlights on the IS to be attractive with more than adequate lighting on dark country roads that are driven daily. The bright white light creates a natural daytime light.

I spent about $2,000 on my Harley upgrading to a LED light package. HD named the LED headlight "Daymaker," and they are spot on. One of the best investments you can make for good lighting and safety.

Last edited by hoosier1; 12-07-13 at 12:22 PM.
Old 12-07-13, 12:08 PM
Kwik8276
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by hoosier1
Compared to HID, the LED lights have a whiter light that matches the running lights and a broad side-to-side beam. Down the road projection is slightly less than HID, but there are so many variables with lighting depending on projector design. Based on my experience, BMW has the best adaptive HID headlights, but they now offer LED headlights as a $1,600 option. LED headlights will likely last for the lifetime of the car and will be the future standard for automobile lighting. I find the LED headlights on the IS to be attractive with more than adequate lighting on dark country roads that are driven daily. The bright white light creates a natural daytime light. I spent about $2,000 on my Harley upgrading to a LED light package. HD named the LED headlight "Daymaker," and they are spot on. One of the best investment you can make for good lighting and safety.
I agree , I used to love how the hid's looked but after having my led headlights on my '14 is250 fsport ! I think these look actually better cause u don't see anything bluish , this is all natural white light and looks really good to me at night . I think we were all just used to the beautiful bluish hid that we can't still wrap our heads into something new , this is def the way bulbs should start looking like !!
Old 12-07-13, 12:10 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by hoosier1
Based on my experience, BMW has the best adaptive HID headlights, but they now offer LED headlights as a $1,600 option.
Yes, agreed; the headlamps on my BMW are AMAZING; almost as though the high-beams can light up a sports field; no joke with how much of what's in front of you they light up!
Old 12-07-13, 12:39 PM
hoosier1
Driver

Yes, agreed; the headlamps on my BMW are AMAZING; almost as though the high-beams can light up a sports field; no joke with how much of what's in front of you they light up!
The fact that you are comparing the IS LED to BMW HID headlights explains why you can tell a difference in lighting. Our ES300h has HID headlights, and they only provide slightly better distance with a yellow tint. My bi-xenon BMW adaptive lights were outstanding especially when driving on twisty country roads. BMW seems to be the leader for xenon lighting technology.

However, it's interesting that BMW still builds a lot of 3 series with halogen projectors, and some of these 328i and 328xi cars list for more than 50 grand. You have to give credit to Lexus for recognizing that a luxury car should have HID or LED headlights.

When driving rentals with halogen headlights, it's seems that the lights are not turned on at times. LED and HID lights are so much better.

A good test for your IS headlights is to evaluate your lighting when cars pass you on the highway when they are side by side. Based on my results, the IS LEDs provide great lighting.

Last edited by hoosier1; 12-07-13 at 12:42 PM.
Old 12-07-13, 01:50 PM
tlr
Rookie

Funny thing is that i was just telling my wife how good the lighting in the fsport is...then again i am comparing it to regular halogens fitted on my tacoma and supra.
Old 12-07-13, 01:53 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tlr
Funny thing is that i was just telling my wife how good the lighting in the fsport is...then again i am comparing it to regular halogens fitted on my tacoma and supra.
Not sure what my 2004 LX470 has, but I feel they're also brighter / illuminate more than my 2014 IS350.
Old 12-07-13, 03:53 PM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Not sure what my 2004 LX470 has, but I feel they're also brighter / illuminate more than my 2014 IS350.
Not that your lights on your LX aren't brighter, but sometimes truck/suv lights appear to be brighter, or better illuminating due to the extra height off of the road.

Quick Reply: Weak Headlamps and High-Beams. :|