IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Nav update destroying hard drive?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-13, 12:47 PM
UncleSpud
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nav update destroying hard drive?

This is what my dealer is telling me. Ever since my nav update for slowness a couple of weeks ago, my Nav/audio system will go black (intermittently) for about 15 seconds and then reboot. Never happened prior to the update.

The cure: rip out the entire system and replace it b/c the new update may be destroying the hard drive. Down time for diagnosis/replacement is one week. Lexus evidently thinks the most recent update is buggy and potentially fatal to the audio/nav systems.

Has anybody heard of this problem and drastic cure? This sounds totally nuts to me. Bad software destroying good hardware makes little sense.
Old 12-06-13, 01:01 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UncleSpud
This is what my dealer is telling me. Ever since my nav update for slowness a couple of weeks ago, my Nav/audio system will go black (intermittently) for about 15 seconds and then reboot. Never happened prior to the update.

The cure: rip out the entire system and replace it b/c the new update may be destroying the hard drive. Down time for diagnosis/replacement is one week. Lexus evidently thinks the most recent update is buggy and potentially fatal to the audio/nav systems.

Has anybody heard of this problem and drastic cure? This sounds totally nuts to me. Bad software destroying good hardware makes little sense.
This seems to be getting worse and impression I'm getting is Lexus doesn't know what's going on. Also I don't think 3IS has hard drive. I thought it was SD card. Why couldn't they update the buggy software and just give you new SD card?
Old 12-06-13, 01:14 PM
UncleSpud
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SonyHome
This seems to be getting worse and impression I'm getting is Lexus doesn't know what's going on. Also I don't think 3IS has hard drive. I thought it was SD card. Why couldn't they update the buggy software and just give you new SD card?
Sony, I'm really worried about being a lab rat while Lexus figures out what to do. The car goes in tomorrow unless I can get some authoritative advice from someone on the forum.
Old 12-06-13, 01:20 PM
alexlude
Lead Lap

possibly it is from how they updated your firmware. the service techs may possibly have somewhat bricked your nav system by updating incorrectly. This has happened on several PS4/XBoxOne, but like Sony said, there is no HDD so not sure why they couldn't fix the SD card and re-initialize.
Old 12-06-13, 03:28 PM
UncleSpud
Pole Position

Originally Posted by alexlude
possibly it is from how they updated your firmware. the service techs may possibly have somewhat bricked your nav system by updating incorrectly. This has happened on several PS4/XBoxOne, but like Sony said, there is no HDD so not sure why they couldn't fix the SD card and re-initialize.
Alex and Sony--just checked with a Lexus service advisor. He claims the 3IS has a hard drive based system. Who's correct?
Old 12-06-13, 05:08 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

I believe the navigation system is hard drive based and the map data is on the sd card.
Old 12-07-13, 02:37 PM
dasrakete
Driver School Candidate

Correct about hard drive. Supposedly quick response. No storage capability for music. Maybe they should try the RNS 510 that Volkswagen uses.
Old 12-07-13, 02:48 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by doodlebug
I believe the navigation system is hard drive based and the map data is on the sd card.
100% correct.

Originally Posted by dasrakete
Correct about hard drive. Supposedly quick response. No storage capability for music. Maybe they should try the RNS 510 that Volkswagen uses.
Also unconscionable that our $50k cars don't have an in-vehicle music collection!
Old 12-07-13, 03:39 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by doodlebug
That doesn't make sense. Why have a hard drive and not have the ability to add music to it or map data on it? I don't think it has HDD.
Old 12-07-13, 05:16 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by UncleSpud
Alex and Sony--just checked with a Lexus service advisor. He claims the 3IS has a hard drive based system. Who's correct?
I would assume the Lexus advisor knows more about the car but I just searched through both 3IS User Manual and Navigation manual and there is no mention of the hard drive. It does mention that SD card holds the map data.

Even if that's the case could they just change the hard drive with new one rather than the whole system? You don't have to replace your whole computer if your hard drive has issues.

If there is hard drive then why can't we store thing on their like other owners have reported. I'm still waiting for my car so haven't had chance to go through this in detail.
Old 12-07-13, 07:12 PM
UncleSpud
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dbs600
100% correct.

Also unconscionable that our $50k cars don't have an in-vehicle music collection!
.....or memory settings on the driver's seat.

I decided to wait until next week to take my car in to the dealer for further diagnosis and repair. It's hard to believe that I'm the only one in North America who's experienced problems after the software update. In any case, I'm hoping they won't have to tear my car apart to get it straightened out.
Old 12-07-13, 07:47 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Please keep us posted!
Old 12-08-13, 12:07 AM
UncleSpud
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dbs600
Please keep us posted!
I'll be glad to dbs.