IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Looking at IS250, but Cup Holders?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-13, 05:34 AM
Kwik8276
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sveinongen
Like this would be good. At least you get support for the elbow. I wish the 3IS was designed like this one....
I don't mind how everything is !! Feels like I'm in a cockpit and the car is just suited for the pilot !! Passengers are always gonna complain !! Just full out a customer complaint and keep it movin lol !!! Haha
Old 12-07-13, 06:04 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

@sveinongen I like that layout. Very attractive. But I don't see how the cup holder situation is much improved and then one has to reach for the **** to switch to Sport+ whereas right now it's right where the arm rests. As @Kwik8276 says -- I think the Lexus engineers wanted to create a drivers cockpit with passengers as an afterthought -- in the USA at least.
Old 12-07-13, 07:59 AM
sveinongen
Driver

Originally Posted by Glashub
@sveinongen I like that layout. Very attractive. But I don't see how the cup holder situation is much improved and then one has to reach for the **** to switch to Sport+ whereas right now it's right where the arm rests. As @Kwik8276 says -- I think the Lexus engineers wanted to create a drivers cockpit with passengers as an afterthought -- in the USA at least.
if you wanna rest your arm now you get your elbow in the middle of one of the cupholder, In the RC interior at least you get some soft support

In my case I use the the alot mouse more than the Mode switch so I have to move my arm more now,

Anyway, no car is perfect and we will never be totally satisfied.
Lexus 3is is an awesome car
Old 12-07-13, 11:10 AM
albino1
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Something as simple as flipping the shifter and mouse would make a big difference. But really it need a total overhaul. Combining the issues of cup holders for passengers, cup holder for mouse use, lack of storage/cubby space, etc, and in the end you come up with needing a full redesign.
Old 12-07-13, 02:21 PM
UncleSpud
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zerologs
I've owned a 2002 IS300 and then a 206 Lexus IS250 AWD which went away when it couldn't fit a rear car seat.

Now that the kids are getting a little older I wanted to buy either a 2014 is250 or a 2014 Infiniti Q50. I really like the looks of the new IS, but when I drive it I can't seem to get past the cup holder location. My wife's arm seems to be right on top of the cup holders and I can't really seem to find a place to put my phone that works well.

What are your thoughts on the cup holders? Are they as bad as they look/seem after having the car for a while or is it easy to adjust too? Where do you keep you phone if not in the cup holders?

Thanks in advance!
They're not so bad, and it's all relative. Compared to the BMW X1, or any E90 3-Series car, 3IS cup holders are brilliant. Back in the '80's, most of the German marques refused to put in any cup holders until they realized Americans couldn't drive more than a mile before becoming dehydrated.

Seriously, the placement is awkward on the 3IS, but it's livable. I wouldn't pass on the Lexus because of it. From the standpoint of driving dynamics, I think you'd be much happier with a Lexus, although the Q50 is not a bad car (there are several 3IS vs. Q50 threads in this forum that you might wish to read). I do understand however, that small things can make or break a deal. My biggest gripe with the 350F is the lack of memory setting on the driver's seat, which is unconscionable on a $45,000+ car. Despite that, I'm a happy camper.
Old 12-07-13, 04:49 PM
sveinongen
Driver

Originally Posted by UncleSpud
They're not so bad, and it's all relative. Compared to the BMW X1, or any E90 3-Series car, 3IS cup holders are brilliant. Back in the '80's, most of the German marques refused to put in any cup holders until they realized Americans couldn't drive more than a mile before becoming dehydrated.

Seriously, the placement is awkward on the 3IS, but it's livable. I wouldn't pass on the Lexus because of it. From the standpoint of driving dynamics, I think you'd be much happier with a Lexus, although the Q50 is not a bad car (there are several 3IS vs. Q50 threads in this forum that you might wish to read). I do understand however, that small things can make or break a deal. My biggest gripe with the 350F is the lack of memory setting on the driver's seat, which is unconscionable on a $45,000+ car. Despite that, I'm a happy camper.
I find it very strange that Lexus doesn't let the Buyers select what they want in they'r car.
Like no Ultra Sonic Blue color for US market, led fog light, ventilated seat in Nuluxe interior,memory seat and so on. In the European marked this is options you can have in the F-sport
Old 12-12-13, 11:55 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Where are the cup holders on the 54K 4 series?
Attached Thumbnails Looking at IS250, but Cup Holders?-images.jpg  
Old 12-12-13, 02:42 PM
iPinky
Driver

^^^ Looks like it's along the inside of the door? I can foresee leg burns with an open container of hot coffee.

Not sure if it's because I'm a woman. But since my seat is positioned slightly closer to the dash (so I can reach the pedals), I have to slightly turn at an angle to reach a drink in the front cup holder. Forget using the second one behind it. I have to either turn halfway or do some awkward elbow-in-the-air/reach-behind-me maneuver to get a drink from it.
Old 12-12-13, 04:31 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

No it's not just you iPinky. I missed them in the doors in the picture. I guess my point is that cup holders are disappearing from cars that have a shifter and a controller in the center consol.
Old 12-12-13, 04:46 PM
Kwik8276
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by iPinky
^^^ Looks like it's along the inside of the door? I can foresee leg burns with an open container of hot coffee. Not sure if it's because I'm a woman. But since my seat is positioned slightly closer to the dash (so I can reach the pedals), I have to slightly turn at an angle to reach a drink in the front cup holder. Forget using the second one behind it. I have to either turn halfway or do some awkward elbow-in-the-air/reach-behind-me maneuver to get a drink from it.
Lol !! How tall are u ?? I'm only teasing !! :-)
Old 12-12-13, 04:59 PM
iPinky
Driver

Originally Posted by Kwik8276
Lol !! How tall are u ?? I'm only teasing !! :-)
Lmao. Maybe I like to drive like those old Asian ladies, all close to the steering wheel, okkk?? Hahaha. Nah...jk
Old 12-12-13, 05:10 PM
Kwik8276
Lead Lap

Lmao. Maybe I like to drive like those old Asian ladies, all close to the steering wheel, okkk?? Hahaha. Nah...jk
I'm just teasing ;-) I sent u a pm ;-)
Old 12-12-13, 08:20 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

^^^ Looks like it's along the inside of the door? I can foresee leg burns with an open container of hot coffee.

Not sure if it's because I'm a woman. But since my seat is positioned slightly closer to the dash (so I can reach the pedals), I have to slightly turn at an angle to reach a drink in the front cup holder. Forget using the second one behind it. I have to either turn halfway or do some awkward elbow-in-the-air/reach-behind-me maneuver to get a drink from it.
You can get real long straw with few bends in it so you don't even have to reach to get the cup out! I agree cup holder position is some what awkward and many people may not use it. I wish they had a cover of some sort so you could just keep it closed and have cleaner look when not using them.
Old 12-12-13, 10:33 PM
albino1
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Glashub
Where are the cup holders on the 54K 4 series?

They're in front of the shifter. Completely out of the way, and utterly convenient
Old 12-12-13, 11:53 PM
chamjin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by albino1
They're in front of the shifter. Completely out of the way, and utterly convenient
Afaik, you have to lift that tray and put it somewhere else to use cupholder underneath?

Quick Reply: Looking at IS250, but Cup Holders?