IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Absurdly High Priced Winter Tire Package from Lexus

Old 12-05-13, 11:02 AM
Randre19
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Absurdly High Priced Winter Tire Package from Lexus

I just got my car and need winter tires asap because its getting very cold in Chicago. The dealer quoted me $1300.46 for just the tire t be mounted and balanced. Basically they are just swapping the tires and showing no concern for how salty winter roads eat away at the f sport rims.

I asked them for the total price which includes the 4 continental winter contact tires, 4 f sport factory rims (which include tire pressure warning sensors and fit kits) and that came to a total of $4423.83 I asked if there were any other cheaper rims available that could be used for the winter on the is350 and he said "NO AFTERMARKET AND/OR USED ARE AVAILABLE AT THIS TIME." Is this true?

My brother called another dealer about a mile down the road and they said they have a winter package that includes rims, the continental tires, free storage, and free first swap for $2799. How is there such disconnect between dealers that are practically next to each other? Do you all think the $2799 deal is a good one?

Does anyone know if there are rims available that wont mess up the sensors and that will work well with the snow tires? Preferably cheap as this package would break my bank instantly.

Thanks everyone!
Old 12-05-13, 11:10 AM
larry13
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pm me about this. I am in Chicago too.
Old 12-05-13, 11:13 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's called revenue. That is how the stealerships make their money. The get some joker in there who is thinking out of panic or need, and they hit them where it hurts, the pocket. That is why you shop around. And use this forum. I think I can recall seeing a few entries where snow tire packages were discussed. You can do search, maybe on snow tire and see what you come up with. Good Luck!
Old 12-05-13, 12:08 PM
Randre19
Lead Lap

I have gotten an estimate from 2 different dealers. One said $2799 and the other said $2295. The original dealer who gave me a price of $4400 said that blizzaks dont fit anymore on the new 2014 IS so they have to use continentals. The other two dealers have confirmed that blizzaks do fit as they have already installed them on other 2014 IS models. Pretty ridiculous and funny how all this is going down haha
Old 12-05-13, 12:24 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

just buy a beater set of used wheels taht you dont mind getting salted up, program second set of TPMS, pick out the tires yourself
Old 12-05-13, 04:23 PM
semoquer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can buy a matching pair of rims on ebay, winter tires on tire rack, and toms sensors. All this will still run you less than what your dealer wants. Talk about a joke..
Old 12-06-13, 11:55 AM
braandon19
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that's way over priced I'm running Michelin aplin pa4 winter performance tires with sparco assetto gara rims and original sensors from the lexus dealership for no more than 2500 dollars Canadian however lol
Old 12-06-13, 12:09 PM
Jlesz
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

i already had tire's from my last car so my dealer ship had replica lexus wheels for $149 each. Total with sensor's and install was just over $1k canadian which is more then fair in my eye's. This is a lexus not a honda civic you need to remember parts are gonna be at a premium, it's a premium brand.

Also the fsport wheels themselve's sell for around $449 msrp so the price they quoted you is not far off. If your concerned about damaging the wheels to begin with why would you buy fsport wheels for winter. just get aftermarket or a used set from previous gen. You can buy a set for $500
Old 12-06-13, 12:55 PM
Randre19
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jlesz
i already had tire's from my last car so my dealer ship had replica lexus wheels for $149 each. Total with sensor's and install was just over $1k canadian which is more then fair in my eye's. This is a lexus not a honda civic you need to remember parts are gonna be at a premium, it's a premium brand.

Also the fsport wheels themselves sell for around $449 msrp so the price they quoted you is not far off. If your concerned about damaging the wheels to begin with why would you buy fsport wheels for winter. just get aftermarket or a used set from previous gen. You can buy a set for $500
I understand that Lexus is a premium vehicle and I did not buy f sport wheels for winter. I spoke with the dealer and they stated that the f-sport wheels are the only ones available for a winter package no matter what season they are used in...that is simply not true. The dealer that Im at does not typically supply winter tire packages so I intend to go to another dealer. I do not want to be my Lexus dealers guinea pig for there first winter/snow tire package. Its a waste of my time and most likely will be a waste of my money when they charge me for miscellaneous stuff that other dealers consider free.
Old 12-06-13, 12:57 PM
Randre19
Lead Lap

My brother had an ISF and his winter package was $3000 so I consider my price of $4423 way to high. I dont care if its the most "premium" brand out there
Old 12-06-13, 03:15 PM
J-Velocity
Rookie

Why don't you just buy from Tirerack ?
Its sky high expensive even its $2800 (I don't care if its true Lexus wheels. Its just Lexus wheels)
Old 12-06-13, 04:37 PM
Randre19
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by J-Velocity
Why don't you just buy from Tirerack ?
Its sky high expensive even its $2800 (I don't care if its true Lexus wheels. Its just Lexus wheels)
Tirerack is good but then you still have to pay for mount & balance and alignment etc... Swapping and alignment is free in the package I'm going to get. I simply don't want to waste money on things that should be free "customer service"
Old 12-06-13, 07:27 PM
J-Velocity
Rookie

Originally Posted by Randre19
Tirerack is good but then you still have to pay for mount & balance and alignment etc... Swapping and alignment is free in the package I'm going to get. I simply don't want to waste money on things that should be free "customer service"
If you get it as wheel and tire package its free mount and balance.
Mount and balance should be around 100 for a set in most places.
You get free service on Lexus but turns out to cost more than tire rack.
Old 12-06-13, 07:53 PM
Randre19
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by J-Velocity
If you get it as wheel and tire package its free mount and balance.
Mount and balance should be around 100 for a set in most places.
You get free service on Lexus but turns out to cost more than tire rack.
I didn't know that. I'm gonna go with a dealer who quoted me $2295 for tires, rims, mount & balance, free wheel swaps, and free storage. That sound like a good deal to you guys?
Old 12-06-13, 08:00 PM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Randre19
I didn't know that. I'm gonna go with a dealer who quoted me $2295 for tires, rims, mount & balance, free wheel swaps, and free storage. That sound like a good deal to you guys?
This price include TPMS sensors?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Absurdly High Priced Winter Tire Package from Lexus