IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Curb rash

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-13, 11:33 AM
mowerman
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Curb rash

Well didn't take long for this to happen, Just 1850 miles on the car.
Wife says, Please can I drive your car to the bank, I say sure, what can happen at the bank.
Well, here is what can happen at the drive thru teller at the bank.

Would you guys just leave the front, or body shop for respray and filler on the bumper?
I already have an appointment for the wheel repair. Im told it will look as good as new for $100.
Guess ill have to wait and see on that.
Attached Thumbnails Curb rash-20131201_142422.jpg   Curb rash-20131201_142443.jpg  

Last edited by DaveGS4; 12-01-13 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Edit inappropriate
Old 12-01-13, 12:19 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Nasty scratch on the bumper. I ran over something yesterday I didn't see on the road on my way to the bank too. Some scratches on the bumper but luckily I have clear bra and it took all the scratches. I wish I can afford to clear bra the whole car. It's a tough material.
Old 12-01-13, 01:17 PM
Oxytocin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should always supervise when someone is driving your car. Or not let anyone drive it.

Your rims don't look as bad as mine did, so it should be as good as new once fixed (depending in the guy). Hopefully you can fix the bumper. Good luck!
Old 12-01-13, 02:18 PM
splat0023
Rookie

Still never let your woman drive your car. I'm sure she has her own.
Old 12-01-13, 02:27 PM
mowerman
Rookie

Originally Posted by splat0023
Still never let your woman drive your car. I'm sure she has her own.
Lesson learned. She has her own car with perfect wheels. lol
Old 12-01-13, 02:31 PM
eyeball
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mowerman
Lesson learned. She has her own car with perfect wheels. lol
LOL at the perfect wheels part
Old 12-01-13, 04:35 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

did you beat her... just kidding. that looks painful, get the wheel repair and the bumper done properly. doesn't make sense to do one and not the other. it is a brand new 2014 IS, might as well keep her looking good.
Old 12-01-13, 05:02 PM
561Lexus
Driver

IMO your money is better spent on repairing the scratches on the bumper... much more noticeable than the curb rash.
Old 12-01-13, 05:45 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't see clear bra saving that bumper. I had it on my previous car -- though it protects against some flying pebbles, etc. In Portland where they use gravel in the winter the clear bra didn't stop as much damage as I expected. Just my .02.

I'd get bumper fixed. The wheels will get damaged. I have a deep scratch on my passenger driver side rear wheel near the center logo -- no idea how it happened. Flying object of some sort.

Last edited by Glashub; 12-02-13 at 06:12 AM.
Old 12-01-13, 07:28 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

You can also save money and get some sand paper ( various grits ) and some wheel polish and do it yourself. The good thing is that your spoke did not incur any damage.
Old 12-02-13, 05:54 AM
fastdak25
Pole Position

you probably could do the bumper yourself. I got some curb rash from a parking block that stretched half way across the lip of the front bumper. I was able to sand down and fill in the scratches and knicks in the plastic. Ran out of sunlight though when I messed up the paint application with improper newspaper placement. Gonna clean it up with the fine grade sand paper after work and touch it up. As far as where the rash was though, can no longer tell anything happened.
Old 12-02-13, 11:05 AM
waxy
Pole Position

The bumper will be very easy to fix, looks like it's just paint damage and nothing deep incurred.

If it helps, get the touch up paint from Sewell, sand that baby down, putty, sand again with really fine grit then paint it over.

I'd apply 2-3 coats and sand it down, then you can get some glossy Rustoleum to finish it up.
Labor time will be around 2 hours, I would wait for everything to cure before you gloss it up.
Old 12-03-13, 01:37 PM
corsjr28
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
You can also save money and get some sand paper ( various grits ) and some wheel polish and do it yourself. The good thing is that your spoke did not incur any damage.
Can you (or anyone who has fixed their rims) elaborate a bit more on how I could do this? Very similar to mowerman's picture, I have the same minor curb rash (smaller amount) on my front passenger rim from parking this past wknd. (I'm so pissed at myself, I never hit curbs!)

So you're saying I would sand it down, then use wheel polish? I guess I thought the wheels were painted that grey metallic color, would I need to purchase any paint to touch it up? What kind of wheel polish?

I appreciate any and all help!
Old 12-03-13, 01:57 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

before this thread goes off in left field with the assumption you can touch up the wheel with some sanding and repainting.
these wheels are Hyper Black the painting process is to pain the wheel black first, then a special silver paint is applied very evenly and precisely. too much and it will be too silver, too little and it will look gray.

my 2013 GS had some curb rash, I took the wheel to a local wheel repair guy who tried to blend and match which did not go well at all. I took it to another wheel repair shop and they tried to paint the wheel over again without having one nearby to compare, it ended up too dark, he shot a little more silver and it ended up too light. now he is waiting for me to bring another wheel when I have time to have it matched while he paints the wheel.

trust me when I tell you, there is NO touchup paint that will match this wheel. it needs to be redone by a professional who knows how to match Hyper black, it is a step by step process and I guarantee you unless the guys knows what he is doing the repainted wheel will never be exactly how it came from the factory.

if you notice these wheels look almost chrome in the direct sunlight and almost charcoal gray in the shadows.
nothing you buy out of a spray can or a touch up brush will be a match.
but if you decide to try the touch up paint sewell Lexus sells your better off trying to just touch it up using as little paint as is necessary to hide the rash.
otherwise if your wheel guy knows his stuff you can get it 95% as close to a perfect wheel for about 100 bucks. the only other option is ebay to find a used take off (this is what I did for the GS) or buy a new one from Lexus.
I paid 350.00 on ebay for my take off wheel. perfect match. and now I have a spare I am trying to get painted the right color to either use as a spare or to sell once correctly painted.
Old 12-03-13, 02:40 PM
waxy
Pole Position

TY0161 Phantom Grey - For the rims (Minus the glossy coat and primer)

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...s=phantom+grey

1H9 Nebula Grey - For the body (Minus the glossy coat and primer)

http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...2014/6423.html

Perfect match on both, from what my eyes tell me, and I'm legally OCD.

$30 and 4 hours of elbow grease later, your car will be looking like brand new!

Quick Reply: Curb rash