IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Need some help with tire/wheel tools

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-13, 09:16 AM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ProperD
i would go ahead and get the lowes torque wrench since its under warranty and it would be easier to replace it since there is always a local lowes.

since i have nothing else to reference, i will reference the US Navy's "joint fleet maintenance manual", which specifies that you should choose a torque wrench in which your final torque value will fall in between 20 to 90% of the total value of the torque wrench. however, it also says that micrometer (click type) torque wrenches should be exercised @ 60% of their total value (6) times to ensure that you will not get a proper reading.

did you read the (1) and only review for those jack stands? it was not good. did anyplace else have something nice to say about it? usually before i buy something ill narrow it down by trying to find reviews via google, which will pull up what other automotive forums and at home mechanics have posted.

as for jacks, i absolutely love my HF 2 ton low profile jack.

the 2 ton jack (4,000lbs, more than enough)
is the lowest of all their jacks, at 2 5/8"
http://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-h...ump-68050.html
It actually came included in this package.

OTC 1533 Aluminum Racing Jack Kit with 2-Ton Jack and Stands, 80th Anniversary Edition : Amazon.com : Automotive OTC 1533 Aluminum Racing Jack Kit with 2-Ton Jack and Stands, 80th Anniversary Edition : Amazon.com : Automotive

It seem there is always someone who isn't happy so even though this package has great rating, if you look at the ones from 1 star, it makes you not want to buy it. Amazon told me I could return it for free if I don't want it. I probably need to make up my mind by tomorrow.

Thanks for the suggestion on the torque wrench. Are all these pretty much have same accuracy? I see some pretty big price ranges on these. One from Mountain had original retail price of $200+.
Old 12-04-13, 12:18 AM
Dawa
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

majority of measurement tools have an "error of accuracy"
i have this $20 torque wrench from harbor freight, it has an accuracy of +/-4%,
and that isnt too bad at all

many torque specifications have a range (for example: 25-30ft lbs) so if you torque to the middle
of those 2 numers, itll help cover you in the event of inaccuracy.
Old 08-24-20, 08:41 PM
zhifan1
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Looking to get a cordless impact wrench as I do not have the luxury of a garage in my apartment. Looked through various reviews, but would like folks' opinion on this. The DeWalt mid-range
 DCF-894 DCF-894
seems a popular choice, but there are reviews on amazon that it is not that capable enough to remove wheel lug nuts, others say that it is more than sufficient. Only planning to remove wheels during brake bleed and tire rotation. Any opinion on a sufficiently good cordless impact wrench? Thanks..
Old 08-24-20, 09:59 PM
kj07xk
Instructor

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by zhifan1
Looking to get a cordless impact wrench as I do not have the luxury of a garage in my apartment. Looked through various reviews, but would like folks' opinion on this. The DeWalt mid-range DCF-894 seems a popular choice, but there are reviews on amazon that it is not that capable enough to remove wheel lug nuts, others say that it is more than sufficient. Only planning to remove wheels during brake bleed and tire rotation. Any opinion on a sufficiently good cordless impact wrench? Thanks..
A cordless impact wrench is pretty much a money pit if you’re not using it much. The battery will lose strength over time and charge cycles, so you have to buy new ones, and they’re usually not cheap.
If you’re not taking the wheels off frequently, just get one of these, dirt cheap, and sufficient leverage to make getting even the hardest nut off pretty easy. I carry one in each car, beats those rinky-dink OEM wrenches if you need to change a tire away from home too.

The following users liked this post:
zhifan1 (08-25-20)
Old 08-25-20, 04:01 AM
zhifan1
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by kj07xk
A cordless impact wrench is pretty much a money pit if you’re not using it much. The battery will lose strength over time and charge cycles, so you have to buy new ones, and they’re usually not cheap.
If you’re not taking the wheels off frequently, just get one of these, dirt cheap, and sufficient leverage to make getting even the hardest nut off pretty easy. I carry one in each car, beats those rinky-dink OEM wrenches if you need to change a tire away from home too.

What you've said makes alot of sense... just found out that this tool is in my toolbox, the handle can be extended to enable even greater force to be exerted, great stuff! Thx, mate..