IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Shut up and Drive! Episode 2

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-13, 12:43 AM
jdot85
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shut up and Drive! Episode 2

Here is the second episode of Shut up and Drive where they test drive 2014 IS350 F Sport again!

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/page...d-drive-videos

The whole episode is separated into 4 video clips.

Enjoy!
Old 11-22-13, 01:48 AM
graviton
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool to see the Lexus IS 350 F Sport in a "TV show", but honesty the production, direction, scripting, etc. of this is absolutely atrocious. When they finally get to the actual driving (wasting 15-20 minutes on worthless fluff), you find them showing only a few minutes of video clips of the "race", and the filming of it is absolutely horrible. The few minutes of coverage of the actual "racing" amounts to harsh cuts between just a few video clips at terrible angles (and suspiciously, with clips that seem to be partially fast-forwarded).

There's also really weird discrepancies that indicate it was NOT done in a single take as they claim -- the guy's partner sees him off at launch, yet somehow teleports ahead to a curve to watch him pass by? WTF. Then you see this back-facing camera obviously from another car in front of the Lexus, which you don't see from the aerial view, indicating at the very least that shot was staged or done in multiple takes. You'll notice also at some points where he drives near to a camera for a "dramatic" shot (though clips 2-3 seconds long are hardly long enough to be dramatic -- stupid video editing/direction IMO), which I think were staged/planned in advance.

Honestly really terrible show, I'm not sure what the purpose of this is. I'd much have preferred just a simple dash cam observing the entire race from start to finish without all the stupid distracting cuts and clips (I don't really care to see a close-up of the driver's face) and preliminary fluff.

I suspect it's because they aren't actually driving that fast, and in fact they're trying to make it look faster with cuts and selective fast-forwarding. If they showed a raw dash cam, it would probably be much more apparent how mediocre their speed is (I'm just guessing though to figure out why the coverage of the "race" is so absolutely terrible). It makes sense to me, though, because nowhere in the video do you see them going really fast in any real sense.

I've seen faster driving in random road tests on MotorTrend youtube videos.

Last edited by graviton; 11-22-13 at 01:55 AM.
Old 11-22-13, 03:21 PM
ybing
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

he has a fear what happen when fall from height, simple answer~ u die LOL