IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Opti-Coat 2.0

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-13, 02:20 PM
2014IS250
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opti-Coat 2.0

I got Opti-Coat 2.0 put on today. It looks amazing!
Attached Thumbnails Opti-Coat 2.0-image.jpg  
Old 11-21-13, 02:25 PM
KumaF
Driver

OptiCoat FTW! I am also going to have my car opti coated once it arrives. The waiting is killing me.
Old 11-21-13, 03:19 PM
RastaRacer
Lexus Champion

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

ummmm, whats opti coat ?
Old 11-21-13, 03:25 PM
FusterCluk
Driver

Originally Posted by RastaRacer
ummmm, whats opti coat ?
I was just wondering the same thing.
Old 11-21-13, 03:38 PM
RastaRacer
Lexus Champion

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Nevermind, just googled it.

Looks pretty cool, I never heard it before.

Does this protect against rock chips as well?
Old 11-21-13, 03:45 PM
KumaF
Driver

No it doesn't. It is intended to protect paint from elements and contaminants, and serve as a sacrificial layer against minor scratch from small debris. Apart from that, it makes car washing so much easier as dirt and things won't stick on the surface, you can usually just rinse them off with a pressure washer. Also you don't need to polish and wax the car as often.
Old 11-21-13, 04:20 PM
liqinwei26
Rookie

I just had two rock chips on my front lip, I really wish there is something that can prevent it happens...
Old 11-21-13, 04:27 PM
KumaF
Driver

Originally Posted by liqinwei26
I just had two rock chips on my front lip, I really wish there is something that can prevent it happens...
You can have clear bra (i.e. 3M venture shield) installed for protection against rock chips.
Old 11-21-13, 04:44 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 2014IS250
IMO if you want to maintain that OC 2.0, you should use ONR or ONRWW as a wash method utilizing the Gary Dean method. get some OOC and OPC and also the Optimum tire gel. you still have to use the same precautions as far as washing even with the OC 2.0. the coating can be scratched. i've OC'd all my cars. oh forgot, get some OID also, that stuff is the truth. JMO though. however you really don't need anything on top of OC 2.0, i do it because i'm OCD about my paint. car looks great BTW...
Old 11-21-13, 05:03 PM
2014IS250
Rookie

Thanks, I will look into these as I am OCD about my paint as well!
Old 11-21-13, 07:27 PM
KumaF
Driver

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
IMO if you want to maintain that OC 2.0, you should use ONR or ONRWW as a wash method utilizing the Gary Dean method. get some OOC and OPC and also the Optimum tire gel. you still have to use the same precautions as far as washing even with the OC 2.0. the coating can be scratched. i've OC'd all my cars. oh forgot, get some OID also, that stuff is the truth. JMO though. however you really don't need anything on top of OC 2.0, i do it because i'm OCD about my paint. car looks great BTW...
Thanks a lot for the info. But I still can't get my head around no rince washing as I worry about dragging dirt and debris across paint surface as I move my mitt around when I don't do a pre-wash. I just don't know how ONR would avoid that.
Old 11-22-13, 08:27 AM
2014IS250
Rookie

I agree, I did watch the junkman2000 video on youtube that suggested that this is a problem with ONR. Would like to learn more.
Old 12-03-13, 12:48 AM
gwud2go
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2014IS250
Looks nice!
Did you do the Opti-Coat yourself or had a detailer do it for you?
What % are those window tints?
Old 12-03-13, 06:08 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

ummmm, whats opti coat ?
^Opti-Coat is one of the most common premium paint coatings on the market these days. It is a semi-permanent layer of protection that provides YEARS of durability compared to just weeks or months of protection that you get from normal waxes.

Opti-Coat 2.0 is a consumer based product that is available for anyone. There is also a professional product that is available through a select group of authorized installers. I've got some more information on the product on my website... feel free to CLICK HERE to have a look.

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
Paint coatings, such as Opti-Coat, are an extremely wise investment.

Opti-Coat (and other premium paint coatings) will have a higher surface hardness than most factory clear coat finishes. For this reason, as you had implied, they have the ability to reduce light swirls and marring that often result from washing and drying.

Obsidian is a very soft clear coat. As you might know, clear coat hardness varies greatly from one manufacturer to the next, and often even between different colors in the same manufacturer. For instance, my smokey granite mica is much more tolerable than obsidian.

With that being said, NOTHING will permanently protect your vehicle from swirls and marring forever. The fact of the matter is that if you are touching your vehicle, you risk the chance of damaging it. All you can do is use proper technique and minimize the amount of swirls/defects so that future polishing is much easier and less evasive.

Swirls and scratches are removed via machine polishing which actually removes a fine layer of paint. For this reason, you want to minimize the severity of the surface defects so that less material needs to be removed to refine the finish.

Besides surface hardness, premium coatings such as Opti-Coat Pro and CQuartz Finest are crucial to maintaining your paint. Some other benefits that these products provide are:

A thick, durable layer of protection: First, let me clarify that wax (despite the common belief) is used for protection, not to make your car super shiny! Wax will wear away in as little as a couple of weeks depending on your environment and the condition in which you keep your car. These semi-permanent coatings will offer years of protection.

Wax is also very thin, making it very easy for environmental contaminates such as bird droppings, acid rain, bug splatter to penetrate the layer of wax and reach your paint. Bird bombs and bug guts, for instance, are quite acidic. They can and will cause permanent damage that requires repainting. High quality paint coatings are thick enough that these contaminates will be stopped before they can reach your factory finish. This will help to preserve your paint much better than traditional forms of protection (ie wax or sealant).

Also, due to the added thickness of a premium coating, any light surface marring will reside in the coating and NOT in the clear coat. This means the next time the vehicle is polished, the coating will be removed and not the clear coat (or at least much less paint).

*Remember, these coatings are a sacrificial layer of protection... they are meant to take the abuse so that your paint does not have to! Note: they are not meant to protect from rock chips like a clear bra, they simply provide long lasting, durable protection against environmental contamination and damage.

Ease of Maintenance: Because these coatings resist dirt and debris MUCH better than traditional protection, routine washes are much easier. No scrubbing is required and dirt easily wipes away. This makes it safer to wash your car and reduces the chance of introducing wash induced marring or swirls.

Gloss & Shine: Some of these coatings, CQuartz Finest in particular, offer ridiculous gloss. Your car will have that "just detailed" after you wash it look for years, not weeks.

^My car 1 year after it was last polished and coated... still looks pretty good, huh

I could keep going, however I have an entire article on this subject that will be published on the Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog in the near future, so keep an eye out.

More info on CQuartz Finest here & here.

More info on Opti-Coat Pro here.

-Zach

Here is another recent thread regarding Opti-Coat: Obsidian Concerns - Opti Coat?

Originally Posted by KumaF
No it doesn't. It is intended to protect paint from elements and contaminants, and serve as a sacrificial layer against minor scratch from small debris. Apart from that, it makes car washing so much easier as dirt and things won't stick on the surface, you can usually just rinse them off with a pressure washer. Also you don't need to polish and wax the car as often.
^Exactly right. The main benefit of these coatings is to provide a thick, durable layer of protection to ensure environmental contaminates do not reach your vehicle's painted surfaces. Things like bird bombs & bug splatter contain acid which can and will cause permanent damage to your paint if left unattended for even a short amount of time. A coating will help to prevent this damage from reaching your clear coat, therefore preserving your finish for a very long time.

Originally Posted by KumaF
Thanks a lot for the info. But I still can't get my head around no rince washing as I worry about dragging dirt and debris across paint surface as I move my mitt around when I don't do a pre-wash. I just don't know how ONR would avoid that.
^Look up the "Gary Dean Wash Method" it is perhaps the safest way to perform a rinseless wash. I use it regularly on my own vehicle with great results.

As you mentioned, rinseless washing is only suitable if the car is relatively clean already. If the car is particularly dirty, it should be rinsed and washed using the traditional 3 bucket method.
Old 12-03-13, 07:12 AM
KumaF
Driver

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
^Look up the "Gary Dean Wash Method" it is perhaps the safest way to perform a rinseless wash. I use it regularly on my own vehicle with great results.

As you mentioned, rinseless washing is only suitable if the car is relatively clean already. If the car is particularly dirty, it should be rinsed and washed using the traditional 3 bucket method.
Thank you so much for the linked page.

Quick Reply: Opti-Coat 2.0