IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

GTR to IS350 F sport

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-13, 08:29 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Coming from a GT-R to an IS is actually a smart and more practical move IMO. the GTR is a great car, a BEAST as many may call it but its not a practical road car. My friend and I drive each other's cars, he has a C6 Z06 and i have my rinkidink IS, and we both fight to drive my IS. He cant get everywhere he needs to be with a Zo6 so he is constantly borrowing my car, and me when I drive the Z06, its a fun drive till you have to do it daily, thats when it becomes a headache. I cant wait to drive my slushbox after driving a vette. Same goes for my motorcycle. not practical enough

Would I sell the GTR? NO but I would have it as a sunday driver.
Old 11-18-13, 09:46 PM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 142 Posts

Love your current GT-R and previous car pictures simonsez! Thank you for sharing them and about your experiences owning these cars.

I can tell you have excellent taste in cars and have a strong passion for modding. I especially like that you own imports! What other amazing cars do you have up your sleeve?

Going from a GT-R to a IS350 F Sport, you're obviously going to sacrifice performance and in turn you'll get more luxury (especially comfort which seems to be your main reason to switch), reliability, and a whole lot lower cost of ownership. Obviously other things are going to be cheaper as well - i.e. insurance, fuel costs, but I'm lumping these all under the term "cost of ownership."

The IS350 (base & F Sport) have some of the most comfortable seats in it's class. I felt very secure sitting inside them, even when driving more spirited in the F-Sport with Sport+ mode on. I felt the suspension was great when in normal mode and you could really feel a change (it stiffen up) in Sport+ mode. Such a fun car to drive that really makes you feel like you could push it harder.

So it's really about what you value and want in a car. If you're not looking to keep the GT-R as a weekend car, then there will be a trade off. Whatever decision you go with the GT-R and the IS350 are both fantastic cars that you can't go wrong with.

My two cents,

~ Im2bz2p345

Last edited by Im2bz2p345; 11-18-13 at 09:50 PM.
Old 11-19-13, 12:01 AM
DansonISF
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

**** i'll trade you with my ISF + cash for your GTR how about that lol
Old 11-19-13, 12:36 AM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by simonsez
am i crazy making this move?
Yes you are.
Old 11-19-13, 01:07 AM
magne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by simonsez
hello guys,

I've been lurking on the forum since 2006. was interested in getting 2IS but never happened...
been thru few cars and currently driving Nissan GTR trying to move into 2014 IS350 F sport.
am i crazy making this move?
Got sick of riding this train like (GT-R) ride daily in NYC.
hopefully my IS350 F sport allocation shows up very soon.

always loved Lexus IS since gen 1.
Never driven the GT-R myself, but I had a tuned 2006 Impreza STI as a daily driver before mye new IS, so I can see your point about harsh ride and economy etc.
I traded my STI for a new IS mainly because of economy and harsh ride quality, and besides with a very visible rally blue car with a big wing, everyone wanted ro race, so there was the risk of loosing the lisence eventually. Afterall, if you have the 300+hp you will use these horeses from time to time.

The problem with the STI was the harsh ride combined with poor roads in Norway where I live.
It was a really tiresome car to use for a daily driver, as it was very stiff in the suspension, the clutch was a workout to use and the noice level inside was ear deafning. Also there was the knowlige that the salt in the wintertime took it's toll on the car, and the risk of something happening to car when it was used as a dd (parking everywhere)

However, the main reson of mine for changing from the STI to the IS, was the economy. Since the STI was also a hobby car, I used a lot of money on it on top of fuel, insurance and maitenence cost.
So I ended up selling the STI and getting the new IS-fsport (300h). Since I live in norway, the only engine avlible to us is the 300h (hybrid).
So now I have a comfortable quiet ride to work. It has enough power in sport mode (instant torque becuase of the electric engine) but it is still a comfortable luxury ride over anything else.
The cost of my daily driver is now less than half of what it was before when you calculate fuel, insurance and maitenence.
Since I work in the city, the car is mmuch nice to ride to work. An automatic gearbox instead of a heavy clutch manual is fantastic in traffic. Not feeling every pothole and speedbump all the way through the back makes the ride home after a long day at work seem relaxing.
The only thing I really miss about the STI is the fantastic 4wd system. The 3IS is not avalible when anything else than rwd here. And when it is 1-2 feet of snow outside, the rwd is no good here. But it is not useless either, becuase of the weight of the batteries for the bybrid system beeing placed on top of the rear wheels.

However, since I'm also a car enthusiast, I need something to work with. So I have another car in the garage that only gets used during the summertime, and that I spend to much money on. But since you also have a bike, I assume that it will do the job of satisfying the enthusiast in you.
If you really love the power of the GT-R. Don't sell it.
If you want something more user friendly as a DD, sell the GT-R and get the lexus.
If you can afford it, get something else that you do not use as a daily driver, besides the lexus. So you can have the lexus and use it without feeling the need to modify to much. And then you can have another car to fiddle with on the side, if the bike does not satisfy that need

Hope these advices helps you some.
Old 11-19-13, 01:48 AM
Gee2anIS
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

consider the GS-F
Old 11-19-13, 04:01 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

If you had a G37x and loved it, then you fully understand what to expect with the 3IS (and better).

However, if you're waiting for more power, the chances of it coming in the next year are slim. Consider an RC F?
Old 11-19-13, 06:45 AM
simonsez
Driver School Candidate

I really do appreciate all your comments & feedback.
Some would think it's a crazy move and downgrade, however it's all about how much value you get out of the car.
as Im2bz2p345 mentioned.
Old 11-19-13, 07:23 AM
RastaRacer
Lexus Champion

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Niice cars you have there sir, you will definitely love the 3 IS F-Sport
Old 11-19-13, 07:42 AM
Timmah
Driver

Coming from a GTR the power is a huge lack in the 3IS. 3IS is going to be smoother and cheaper cost to own vs a GTR. However, you can trade GTR get a 3IS and keep you eye out to buy a couple year used GTR for a steal. Than have the best of both worlds.

You also mention you liked to Mod Cars. With the 3IS you are very limited to power as after market support isn't nearly as plentiful as the GTR. GTR +8Kish is going to be back snapping quick. 8Kish on a IS would you get a super charger adding 50WHP MAX.
Old 11-19-13, 08:30 AM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

I wish I have your problems...
Old 11-19-13, 08:33 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Why not have both. My 12C is my daily driver, and the IS is my grocery getter. It's always nice to have the option.
Old 11-19-13, 02:39 PM
Slash300zx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 52 Posts

The 3IS is a very nice car and quite fun to drive, coming from 2 2IS to a 3IS I can say the 3IS is more fun and addicting but I still miss the nice kick the 2IS (350) had...... so when it comes to power, if you like the power of the GTR, then you will definitely miss the GTR. Like someone already said, you could wait and see if they come out with a 3IS-F or perhaps the new RC-F that might be coming out next year so that, even though it still won't be as fast as the GTR, it won't be such a big difference..... now if you are not looking at performance anymore then just go ahead and get an IS350 F-sport and enjoy your commute everyday
Old 11-19-13, 03:13 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Short answer: yes you're crazy for making the move, I'd just get a cheap AWD or FWD beater and keep the GTR.

Long answer: If you want to have one car and cheaper maintenance, insurance, and upkeep costs (than the GTR), go with the ISF. The unofficial word is that there will be no 3IS body style ISF, which could mean an excellent thing for resale values. ISF's are also very rare and limited in production. I see very few in NY myself. Obviously when dealing with snow the 3IS AWD would be better, but the ISF is fully capable in snow with winter tires (I personally have a FWD beater).

To put it in perspective, oil changes are ~$150 at the dealer (draining 10 qts of oil at home is a pain), 30k service cost me $600 (change differential fluid, oil chg, change AC & air filters, change brake fluid). Tires are anywhere from $700-$1300 depending on the brand and size. Rotors and pads vary in price, Pads $200-300 a set, Rotors $300-400. And that's on the high end. Also insurance is reasonable since it's a sedan.

I see you're in NY simonsez, if you want a ride or more info, PM me, I'll be glad to help.
Old 11-19-13, 03:42 PM
lmsls
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Why not have both. My 12C is my daily driver, and the IS is my grocery getter. It's always nice to have the option.
Exactly.. If you can afford a GT-R's 2k monthly cost of ownership (car payment, insurance, gas, maintenance, etc.,) you can likely afford a second car payment. If not (no offense) you shouldn't of purchased a GT-R. I would hate to have to get rid of my GT-R because it's overall harsh behavior as a DD... That car is supposed to be a weekend track demon, 99% of the time sitting in the garage looking pretty. A 12C on the other hand is a completely different story. That car is as composed and comfortable as it gets for a high performance car.

You should be looking at something like an F10 M5 or Audi S6/S7 RS6/RS7. Comparable MSRP yet you'd save a ton. The cost of ownership for the above would be considerably less. That would be a swap I could totally understand. Hell, even a S4... Why an IS 350?? I love my 3G IS but coming from a GT-R as my DD, you're going to be disappointed in the power real fast. Unless $$ is a factor of your switch, I'd seriously consider something else... and again, I LOVE my IS, it's a great car, but If I was trading in my 100k + car I'd likely be in the market for something in a different class.

I'm jealous of you though, hah. If I didn't have a terrible driving record (multiple speeding tickets :0) and insanely high insurance rates on the three cars I have, I'd definitely have a GT-R in my garage.... albeit it'd be used, but a GT-R nonetheless.

Seriously OP, take a look at the Audi's. I have an A7 3.0T with a GIAC tune and it's an absolute rocket. Over 450 AWHP just from a tune. Pretty impressive if you ask me. Audi has been making some incredible motors recently, and I've never even driven the S7/RS7 but I can only imagine.

That is one awesome whip though, OP.. and I'm lovin the white!

Don't miss the GT-R too much! Haha

Quick Reply: GTR to IS350 F sport