IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Dynamic Radar Cruise

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-13, 04:30 AM
kabgolf1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Dynamic Radar Cruise

I have to say that the $500 spent for the dynamic radar cruise with Pre Collision was money well spent. I am not a fan of cruise control normally and ordered it because of the Pre Collision Safety. The system however, is quite amazing. I used it for the first time yesterday on a long ride of about 60 highway miles. The system gets set with the cruise stalk like normal but then it shows radar ready and the setting for distance to the vehicle in front can be adjusted from far to medium to short. It was great because I never had to hit the gas or break the entire time. I even had a car change lanes right in front of me and the system beeped and hit the breaks fairly hard in order to avoid coming up to fast. The system also shows icons in the F-Sport meter of my car and another car in front, if present.
The only thing is I could not take pics as my girlfriend is very nervous on the road and she would not allow me to. I will take pics of the next usage and post.

Last edited by kabgolf1; 11-12-13 at 04:31 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-12-13, 08:41 AM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 142 Posts

Great mini-review and information of the Dynamic Radar Cruise system/technology.

Thanks for posting your thoughts,

~ Im2bz2p345
Old 11-12-13, 09:08 AM
magne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also have the dynamic cruise control and pcs system.
I'm very satisfied to, but be aware of one thing.
The system "suddenly" stops working when the speed is lower than about 25-30 mph.

So if the traffic in front of you slows down a lot, it will suddenly relase the breakes if the system is breaking for you. This can result in you rear ending someone if you're not aware of this.

Also, if the road is narrow the system can very suddenly hit the brakes becuase it belives it detects a car in front of you, when you are overtaking someone in the lane besides you.

Appart from these minor flaws the system works perfect
Old 11-12-13, 09:48 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Nice write-up. I had that option on a M35 I owned previously. I wasn't the biggest fan, I guess I felt like I paid for something I never really benefited from. Unless I traveled late at night or early morning, the volume of traffic basically rendered it useless. I also found that being on cruise for a long time tended to make me sleepy.
Old 11-12-13, 10:56 AM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by magne
The system "suddenly" stops working when the speed is lower than about 25-30 mph.

So if the traffic in front of you slows down a lot, it will suddenly relase the breakes if the system is breaking for you. This can result in you rear ending someone if you're not aware of this.

Also, if the road is narrow the system can very suddenly hit the brakes becuase it belives it detects a car in front of you, when you are overtaking someone in the lane besides you.

I ordered this to and that is what I'm concerned with. It seems weird that below 25MPH it stops working altogher which sounds very dangerous. I wasn't aware that this wasn't a full range function.

How is the acceleration if car infront goes very slow and speeds up? Ideal implementation would have been to use the drive mode (eco, normal, sport, sport+) to also dictate acceleration.
Old 11-12-13, 11:31 AM
kabgolf1
Lead Lap

I am aware of the speed limitation but I believe even regular cruise control cuts out at speeds under 25 mph.
Old 11-12-13, 11:35 AM
kabgolf1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SonyHome
I ordered this to and that is what I'm concerned with. It seems weird that below 25MPH it stops working altogher which sounds very dangerous. I wasn't aware that this wasn't a full range function.

How is the acceleration if car infront goes very slow and speeds up? Ideal implementation would have been to use the drive mode (eco, normal, sport, sport+) to also dictate acceleration.
The acceleration is nice and smooth and works in conjunction with maintaining the preset distance selected to the vehicle in front. I did not notice a difference between normal, Sport and Sport+ as far as the acceleration went. There was definitely a stronger acceleration when a vehicle cleared the lane and no other vehicle was sensed.
Old 11-12-13, 09:49 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Also, if the road is narrow the system can very suddenly hit the brakes becuase it belives it detects a car in front of you, when you are overtaking someone in the lane besides you:
I've never experienced this in 8 years of DRCC on my 2IS. I know BMW had issues with such behavior, but never Lexus. I can be going around a bend in the road with metal guard rails, and the cruise performs exactly as it should. Maybe the 3IS cut corners with the deep price cut with the option?
Old 11-13-13, 04:20 AM
IS350AWD
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just drive manually.

More fun and better MPGs
Old 11-13-13, 04:38 AM
magne
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TimboIS
I've never experienced this in 8 years of DRCC on my 2IS. I know BMW had issues with such behavior, but never Lexus. I can be going around a bend in the road with metal guard rails, and the cruise performs exactly as it should. Maybe the 3IS cut corners with the deep price cut with the option?
Just so I've mentioned it, the roads in my country are very narrow. This has happened to me 4-5 times. Every time it happend i was beside a truck or big rig. And there was about 1-1,5 meters space between me and the truck.
I don't expect this to be a problem in the US where the lanes are almost twice the width of the what the lanes are here in Norway.
Old 11-13-13, 10:40 AM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kabgolf1
The acceleration is nice and smooth and works in conjunction with maintaining the preset distance selected to the vehicle in front. I did not notice a difference between normal, Sport and Sport+ as far as the acceleration went. There was definitely a stronger acceleration when a vehicle cleared the lane and no other vehicle was sensed.
Thanks for the feedback. Someone posted that implementation on their car (I think different car mfg) had very slow acceleration.
Old 11-13-13, 11:09 AM
Jake
Lead Lap

I've really been considering the 14 IS 350 F-Sport. I know that the Dynamic Radar Cruise is a special order, which turns me off a little bit (time wise). I want the power rear sun shade too ($200), so I would have to special order it anyways. I feel that $500 spent on a crash prevention system would pay for itself. What all does it include as part of the option? Dynamic Radar Cruise, and pre-crash seat belts?
Old 11-13-13, 04:03 PM
magne
Lead Lap

Dynamic cruise control, pre crash seat belts and steering column, and most importantly a pre crash radar that starts to beep and applies the brakes extra hard if you are in danger of, or about to crash.
This has alerted me a couple of times when the traffic in front has stopped very suddenly, and it is a very good device to have. It may be the difference between rear ending someone or hitting the brakes just in time