IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Did you consider Mercedes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-13, 05:51 PM
ISISGUY
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also considered the CLA, I didn't mind the outside, it's different from a lot of cars out there, which is why I ultimately decided on the IS, but the interior was no comparison. I love the 3IS interior.
All german cars are very functional but very simple. I love to drive the crap out of cars, so if I'm gonna be looking at an interior for a while, it better be something I'm happy with. Unless you're going up the line to M3 or S4 status, that's where I would compromise. But then again, they seem to try a little harder on quality materials in those models.
Old 11-16-13, 05:45 AM
dsadsauser
Pole Position

Wow, lots of MB bashing here. I love MB and always consider them. Since I have kids, safety is always my most important category, then performance, then utility, technology, reliability, etc. So, MB always gets a first look. They are on another level in safety- even over Volvo.
Old 11-16-13, 06:10 AM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jbayse99
Wow, lots of MB bashing here. I love MB and always consider them. Since I have kids, safety is always my most important category, then performance, then utility, technology, reliability, etc. So, MB always gets a first look. They are on another level in safety- even over Volvo.
unfortunately some brands play up safety a lot more than others. the fact is unless you can replicate the same accident over and over no 2 are the same.
not saying Merc is not a safe car, they are and have a reputation for it. but all manufacturers make very safe cars. Lexus got a very high rating on the new IS.
being in the insurance business for the last 10 years i can say that it is rare to sustain serious injury in 90% of accidents. cars are filled with airbags and all sorts of technology.
the other 10% of really bad accidents people are still going to get hurt or killed regardless of if they are in a Mercedes or not.
if your that concerned about what happens to your family, spend the difference between a mercedes and the Lexus on a good life insurance policy. people rarely look at the importance of this type of coverage. they always think they have enough at work or the crappy little term policy they bought is enough..
until you've delivered a death claim check personally to a widow you may never understand.
i am not saying you should ignore the safety of a car, but put that worry energy into being pro active about the what if scenario. fact is, we all die eventually! that you can predict with 100% certainty.
but you may never be involved in a life threatening accident! so don't buy into the hype. most any decent car of this caliber has enough safety in it to keep you and your family alive. but the differences between cars are not enough to go around worrying that if you didn't buy a merc that you've somehow put your life in danger.
heck, just getting up in the morning to face the public roadway is risky enough no matter what you drive!
Old 11-16-13, 06:23 AM
Goodlife
Driver School Candidate

I test drove the cla before choosing the IS and I didn't like the dash layout felt cheap! I did like that sunroof though!
Old 11-16-13, 06:30 AM
KaShiDC
Rookie

I did look at Mercedes. My friend was buying a CLK at the time I had decided on Lexus and we were shopping together. Some of the cars looked nice but the interiors were just not plush to me. I would not buy based on the research on reliability although the sales guy did keep telling they were better than Lexus but could not tell me why. I had done thorough research before looking although I did "look" at everything, Audi, BMW, MB, Acura, Lexus. What really interested me in Lexus was my first Toyota, a Tacoma and the zero issues in five years. I think my Tacoma and IS make a nice pair and I am very happy with my decision. I do have to admit I like the Northern Lights Violet Metallic Mercedes has available on the CLA. What a cheap marketing strategy though, advertising at $29,900 when it would cost at least 15K more to match the options I have on my IS.
Old 11-18-13, 04:57 AM
dsadsauser
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bass Mech
unfortunately some brands play up safety a lot more than others. the fact is unless you can replicate the same accident over and over no 2 are the same.
not saying Merc is not a safe car, they are and have a reputation for it. but all manufacturers make very safe cars. Lexus got a very high rating on the new IS.
being in the insurance business for the last 10 years i can say that it is rare to sustain serious injury in 90% of accidents. cars are filled with airbags and all sorts of technology.
the other 10% of really bad accidents people are still going to get hurt or killed regardless of if they are in a Mercedes or not.
if your that concerned about what happens to your family, spend the difference between a mercedes and the Lexus on a good life insurance policy. people rarely look at the importance of this type of coverage. they always think they have enough at work or the crappy little term policy they bought is enough..
until you've delivered a death claim check personally to a widow you may never understand.
i am not saying you should ignore the safety of a car, but put that worry energy into being pro active about the what if scenario. fact is, we all die eventually! that you can predict with 100% certainty.
but you may never be involved in a life threatening accident! so don't buy into the hype. most any decent car of this caliber has enough safety in it to keep you and your family alive. but the differences between cars are not enough to go around worrying that if you didn't buy a merc that you've somehow put your life in danger.
heck, just getting up in the morning to face the public roadway is risky enough no matter what you drive!
Uh, yeah, what makes you think I don't have a life insurance policy?

To state the difference in (for example) the rear impact damage an accident could do to my kids from a rear collision in a Mustang (3 stars) and a 335i (5 stars) is negligable, is just plain absurd. I use the two as examples because I went from a new 5.0 to my current car, a 335i. Same with a Kia SUV and a Mercedes full-size SUV. The occupants in the Mercedes will sustain less injury than a Kia. To think MB/BMW/Volvo/Audi are just all "show" with their safety is crazy in my eyes. I'm not saying only Euro cars are safe. I'll take a Dodge Charger all-day in an accident.

I'm not trying to change the subject of this thread. Just stating I considered Mercedes because of their safety, which is #1 on my list because priorities in life have changed.