2014 IS350 CNET video review

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-13, 11:34 AM
eyeball
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 IS350 CNET video review

Pretty cool and comprehensive 25-minute video review:

Lexus IS350 F Sport: Does it measure up to the German's -- or even need to? (CNET On Cars, Episode 29)

http://m.cnet.com/news/lexus-is350-f...de-29/57611427
Old 11-12-13, 01:57 AM
graviton
Driver School Candidate

To save some of you time perhaps, this really isn't a 25 minute review. The first 10 minutes are about the Lexus IS but the rest are totally unrelated. Here's a link to just the relevant info, plus a big article (which I haven't read yet):

http://reviews.cnet.com/sedan/2014-l...-35831151.html

While I generally like the presentation of this guy's reviews, I always find he has really odd and inconsistent complaints. Almost always I find many opinions I disagree with in his reviews based on my test drives (I test drove so many cars I lost count in my search, which finally ended in a IS 350 F Sport), and this review is no different. It's come to a point where I have to just ignore his reviews, because my in-person test drives were almost always so different in character from the overall impression he gives about a car. On the other hand I tend to find others like MotorTrend pretty accurate to my experience on objective points (subjective things like style are of course always going to vary).

* He whines that it comes in so many varieties (250, 350, RWD, AWD), but that's really not very many variants compared to insane number of options and packages and lines and levels from BMW, for example. I don't recall him complaining about that when he reviewed BMW.

* He says the climate controls "squander" the dash space and he doesn't "need" or like the touch based adjustment, and prefers a **** instead. I really like the touch controls, personally. He's always very opinionated in eccentric ways in his videos like this, so nothing unexpected I guess.

* Again, he whines about access to the volume **** after pushing the shifter up to park. Fair complaint I guess but I never noticed this personally (maybe because I don't have it in park when I do usually?) But why not mention the cup holders being in a slightly awkward position instead? That seems a much more legitimate (though still pretty trivial) complaint, if he's to be this nitpicky (not that nitpicky is bad in a review of a luxury car).

* He complains that the motor controlled dash speedometer thing might break down and need replaced. Since when is pure speculation okay to use as a negative point against a car in a review? Totally unprofessional IMO.

* Most importantly, I find he almost always lacks a focus in performance. Despite being a reviewer of many sport sedans, it seems pretty clear he just doesn't "get" performance driving (and is proven in his series of track reviews of various cars, which is up on youtube somewhere). His comments on performance are almost always off base (and if they're not, it's by luck) IMO -- for example he loved the performance of the Hyundai Genesis R Spec, which I really disliked due to really poorly tuned suspension and handling IMO.

* He says "the ride is tuned to softness, not the same level of precision I would expect out of let's say a 335is, but it's got a certain lack of precision at the really sharp edge." I'm not quite sure what he's saying here, but despite his obvious lack of understanding of performance cars from his previous reviews, let's just say I disagree. From my test drives, I find the new 335i to feel significantly more sloppy, dull steering, and more body roll than the Lexus IS 350. Just read any BMW forum and you'll find people complaining about exactly this (especially long-time BMW fans).

Too bad he reviewed the AWD / 6 speed -- seems like if anything one of the most uncommon configurations for this car in F Sport trim. I mean seriously... why get a performance sport sedan and not RWD + 8 speed? Maybe that's just my opinion. He has some complaints about the 6 speed that I can't comment on since I have the 8 speed -- which I find to be great so far, at least. (To his credit he does say "I'd go rear" in reference to the AWD vs RWD)

That said, I do agree with his closing statement: "This car is a nice blend of performance to a degree that you can actually use it, and comfort to the degree that you will always appreciate it."

Last edited by graviton; 11-12-13 at 02:17 AM.
Old 11-13-13, 04:21 PM
eyeball
Lead Lap

You are absolutely right. The volume control **** placement is negligible since most ppl are turning that **** while driving (not at Park) or they are using the volume buttons on the steering wheel lol
Old 11-14-13, 03:55 AM
graviton
Driver School Candidate

Actually, I tried using the volume **** in park and had no issues whatsoever with the shifter getting in the way. Either he's being incredibly fussy because he wants to find something to complain about, or maybe my seat is adjusted differently or something.
Old 11-14-13, 08:25 PM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brian Cooley is the worst reviewer on youtube. His reviews are filled with over analytical non sense. The volume **** is placed perfectly imo as i rest my arm over the shifter while driving. This guy is simply a douchebag.