IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Trading the 3is for the Audi A5? thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-13, 02:15 PM
vbx
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Trading the 3is for the Audi A5? thoughts?

Just saw an A5 roll pass by and that thing looks amazing. I've been reading a few horror stories though and not sure about the reliability of this car.

Going to set up a test drive on Monday and we'll see how it goes.
Old 11-09-13, 02:23 PM
JLex23
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I traded my 2013 A5 for the 3IS and so glad I did. It was in the shop 10 times in 11 months and had a steering rack replacement. Beautiful car, fun to drive but the quality is lackluster at best .
Old 11-09-13, 02:31 PM
vbx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JLex23
I traded my 2013 A5 for the 3IS and so glad I did. It was in the shop 10 times in 11 months and had a steering rack replacement. Beautiful car, fun to drive but the quality is lackluster at best .
yea, having 2nd thoughts. thanks for the info
Old 11-09-13, 02:52 PM
corsjr28
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very similar experience for me, I've owned 2 A4's and 1 TT over the last 10yrs... nothing but problems with each car, I won't go back to Audi until their cars become more reliable. I test drove the 2013 S4 and 2014 A5 before special ordering my 3IS. I liked the Lexus interior better, Audi exterior better, and the S4/S5 are quick cars - but reliability (I hope) goes to Lexus (this will be my first Lexus). I believe Audi is doing their next redesign for their 2015 lineup, so I'd wait to see how those look and drive.

Like JLex said... they're incredibly fun (and fast) to drive... but they spend a lot of time in the repair shop and sometimes quite a bit of money out of pocket, it's simply not worth it no matter 'cool' they look.
Old 11-09-13, 02:52 PM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Both great cars, really. I am looking forward to taking delivery on my 3IS to enjoy the performance and reliability. However, my wife has a 2013 A5 convertible and has had absolutely no problems with it. In fact, Audi reliability has improved dramatically, as is evidenced bu Audi's significant rise in the recent CR reliability rankings. The problem of oil consumption in the 4 cylinder turbo has been corrected as well.

All that said, I prefer the 3IS F Sport to the A5. The Lexus handles better. The Audi feels more "front wheel drivish." I also prefer the experience of driving a normally aspirated engine rather than a turbo charged one. To be fair though, the A5 is a beautifully crafted, eligantly refined automobile.
Old 11-09-13, 03:08 PM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by corsjr28
Very similar experience for me, I've owned 2 A4's and 1 TT over the last 10yrs... nothing but problems with each car, I won't go back to Audi until their cars become more reliable. I test drove the 2013 S4 and 2014 A5 before special ordering my 3IS. I liked the Lexus interior better, Audi exterior better, and the S4/S5 are quick cars - but reliability (I hope) goes to Lexus (this will be my first Lexus). I believe Audi is doing their next redesign for their 2015 lineup, so I'd wait to see how those look and drive.

Like JLex said... they're incredibly fun (and fast) to drive... but they spend a lot of time in the repair shop and sometimes quite a bit of money out of pocket, it's simply not worth it no matter 'cool' they look.
One thought on waiting for Audi's 2015 redesign: I would not get a new Audi model inthe first few years of the production cycle. It seems Audi, like BMW, takes at least until mid cycle to work the probems, often major, with their cars. That is among the reasons why I nixed the idea of getting the newly minted BMW 4 series coupe now. I have no such worries getting the 3IS in its first year of production, at best I might have to update the nav firmware!
Old 11-09-13, 03:19 PM
vbx
Lead Lap

I'm thinking about getting the 6speed version. They have a white on black and a black on black.

I might just hold off for a while.
Old 11-09-13, 03:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

I like the A5, I have a friend who has one, and a neighbor that has had two. My friend's has like 25k on it and it uses a quart of oil every 1500 miles or so. Apparently thats very common...
Old 11-09-13, 03:24 PM
vbx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CtSFox
Both great cars, really. I am looking forward to taking delivery on my 3IS to enjoy the performance and reliability. However, my wife has a 2013 A5 convertible and has had absolutely no problems with it. In fact, Audi reliability has improved dramatically, as is evidenced bu Audi's significant rise in the recent CR reliability rankings. The problem of oil consumption in the 4 cylinder turbo has been corrected as well.

All that said, I prefer the 3IS F Sport to the A5. The Lexus handles better. The Audi feels more "front wheel drivish." I also prefer the experience of driving a normally aspirated engine rather than a turbo charged one. To be fair though, the A5 is a beautifully crafted, eligantly refined automobile.
Does the A5 give off any horrible fumes from the turbo? Excessive exhaust fumes, oil or fuel?

I had a turbo'd car once and all I smelled was fuel from running rich.
Old 11-09-13, 03:28 PM
Skinnyfats
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read up on the 2.0T engine there have been some issues. Also you are going to a 220HP motor if you have a 350 that is a lot less power. If you lease the value does not hold anywhere near what a Lexus does.
Old 11-09-13, 04:00 PM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I like the A5, I have a friend who has one, and a neighbor that has had two. My friend's has like 25k on it and it uses a quart of oil every 1500 miles or so. Apparently thats very common...
Very important with the 4 cly turbo Audi to break in carefully (usual stufff, plus seating piston rings through natural deceleration, etc.). I know four people who did this with 2012 or later A5's and had no problem with oil consumption. Glad I don't havve to be as careful with the 3IS!
Old 11-09-13, 04:01 PM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vbx
Does the A5 give off any horrible fumes from the turbo? Excessive exhaust fumes, oil or fuel?

I had a turbo'd car once and all I smelled was fuel from running rich.
No such odors.
Old 11-09-13, 04:03 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why are you thinking about trading in a perfectly good car you just bought?
Old 11-09-13, 04:06 PM
vbx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SonyHome
Why are you thinking about trading in a perfectly good car you just bought?
6 speed manual. + the other stuff I already posted about previously.
Old 11-09-13, 06:31 PM
Tone2002
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really think you should.

Quick Reply: Trading the 3is for the Audi A5? thoughts?