IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Street Stats: 0-60mph and 1/4 mile drag runs

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-15, 04:51 PM
rex2lex
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Street Stats: 0-60mph and 1/4 mile drag runs

Disclaimer: Do not attempt this on public roads in any type of populated area. I live in the very rural country and do my testing on roads that are wide open with just corn farms around. You can go several hours and more without seeing any other cars and there are no homes or people around either. If you live in an area where there are other cars or people, please take it to the track instead.

2015 IS 350 F-Sport AWD (stock tires)
6 Speed transmission
F-sport intake
F-sport axle back exhaust
93 Octane E10 gas (less than 1/4 tank)
Traction Control completely off
Sport+ setting
Driver weight = 150 lbs
Surface Pro 2 tablet, Palmer Scan XL software, ODBII cable connected to tablet via USB 2.0
Outside temperature in the low 70’s
Asphalt paved roads

Street times are typically 1 to 5 tenths slower than at a track that is scraped and sprayed. Average would be about 3 tenths slower on the street.

Auto mode:
Best 0-60mph = 5.697 seconds
Best 1/4 mile = 14.381 seconds @ 100.041 mph
Other runs = 14.408, 14.414, 14.409

Auto Mode is very consistent. Almost identical runs each time

Best run time slip:

Manual Mode: Paddle Shifters
Best 0-60mph = 5.697 seconds
Best 1/4 mile = 14.256 seconds @ 100.041 mph
Other runs = 14.599, 14.375, 14.486

Using the paddle shifters can be a tenth or so quicker, but it’s also more inconsistent due to the delay in shifting when you hit the paddle shifter. It’s hard to hit shifts perfect because of the delay.

Best run time slip:
Old 10-05-15, 06:14 AM
sinakh89
Rookie

that is very interesting. good description of the testing environment as well. thanks for sharing.

Any stats for IS250 RWD anyone?

By the way I know its off topic but on a scale of 1 to 10 how much louder would you describe your engine sound in comparison to stock state?
Old 10-05-15, 06:37 AM
rex2lex
Rookie

Originally Posted by sinakh89
that is very interesting. good description of the testing environment as well. thanks for sharing.

Any stats for IS250 RWD anyone?

By the way I know its off topic but on a scale of 1 to 10 how much louder would you describe your engine sound in comparison to stock state?
Car and Driver did some tests on the 2014 IS250 RWD. This should give you an idea of where it's at.
0-60 = 7.8 seconds
1/4 mile = 16.1 sec @ 87 mph

For the engine sound, if 10 was with the "stock sound generator", it would be a 5 with the F-Sport intake. The good sound comes from the F-Sport exhaust (or any other exhaust), as it should be. The engine is quieter and the exhaust is louder.
Old 10-05-15, 06:48 AM
cp2
Racer

Received 326 Likes on 195 Posts

thanks for sharing.. those are pretty good digits.
Old 10-06-15, 12:06 PM
rex2lex
Rookie

Originally Posted by cp2
thanks for sharing.. those are pretty good digits.
I was hoping for a 13.9 or 14 flat because I'm pretty sure I remember some reviews where they got the RWD to run 13.9. Lexus shows on their website that the RWD is one tenth quicker 0-60 compared to AWD, so maybe under perfect conditions the RWD could get there, but idk about the AWD. Close enough though.
Old 10-06-15, 12:21 PM
cp2
Racer

one thing I didn't see listed (or I missed it), what was the elevation?
Old 10-06-15, 12:28 PM
rex2lex
Rookie

Originally Posted by cp2
one thing I didn't see listed (or I missed it), what was the elevation?
Ya forgot to add that.........

Elevation: 518 ft (157.9 m)
Old 10-06-15, 12:39 PM
cp2
Racer

so elevation wasn't really a factor then
Old 10-06-15, 01:29 PM
kinglexus99
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You should have done a run in M mode and let the car shift at redline. That seems to be the fastest mode for me.
Old 10-06-15, 02:02 PM
rex2lex
Rookie

Originally Posted by cp2
so elevation wasn't really a factor then
No shouldn't. Maybe I was remembering wrong. I just did a quick search and the fastest RWD review I saw that did a 1/4 mile run was 14 sec flat. I saw one at 14.8. The 6 speed tranny vs 8 speed in rwd may be a small factor.

Originally Posted by nixx621
You should have done a run in M mode and let the car shift at redline. That seems to be the fastest mode for me.
I did do several M mode runs, but did not take it to redline. In the awd we have the old 6 speed tranny and the lag between the time you hit the paddle shifter and when it actually shifts is about 400 rpm, so since it hits peak HP at 6400 (according to Wikipedia) I was hitting the paddle shifter at 6000 rpm, so it would hopefully shift at 6400. Maybe I'll do a few more test this weekend, if the weather cooperates, and shift at higher rpms.
Old 10-07-15, 04:20 AM
sinakh89
Rookie

Originally Posted by rex2lex
Car and Driver did some tests on the 2014 IS250 RWD. This should give you an idea of where it's at.
0-60 = 7.8 seconds
1/4 mile = 16.1 sec @ 87 mph

For the engine sound, if 10 was with the "stock sound generator", it would be a 5 with the F-Sport intake. The good sound comes from the F-Sport exhaust (or any other exhaust), as it should be. The engine is quieter and the exhaust is louder.
Thanks Rex. Didn't know the intake actually reduces the loudness. Hey I know it might be too much but if you add a video of your 0-60 as well then this thread would be a perfect example for 0-60 tests
Old 10-07-15, 11:34 AM
rex2lex
Rookie

Thanks Rex. Didn't know the intake actually reduces the loudness. Hey I know it might be too much but if you add a video of your 0-60 as well then this thread would be a perfect example for 0-60 tests
Ya the stock intake has a "sound generator" hooked to it that creates a loud rumble sound, like a fake exhaust sound, to give the feeling that it's powerful and fast because of the loud noise. Actually a bunch of manufactures are doing this now, pumping the intake sound into the cabin. But that sound generator really just creates a lot of turbulence in the intake tube.

An after market intake, like the Joe-Z or the F-sport eliminates the sound generator making it quieter and smoothing the air flow. Lexus claims the F-Sport intake can give up to a 3% increase in horsepower, which is about 9 hp at the engine and about 5-6 hp at the wheels. Joe-Z inake saw 4-5 hp increase.

For the video.... I could shoot one, but I don't do google (or android) so I don't have a you tube account (or any social media accounts), so not sure where I'd post it. I'm a Desktop Engineer and a Windows only person. I know there are other video posting sites, maybe I'll see what I can come up with.
Old 10-08-15, 05:20 PM
plutoGK
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nixx621
i have done that before. and it was actually slower than the D shift. It also made the transmission over heat really fast. after third 1/4 mile run the ECU upshift the gear at 3nd gear to 4th gear at around 5000rpm.

I also never manager to get under 14 sec
Old 10-08-15, 11:54 PM
sinakh89
Rookie

Originally Posted by rex2lex
Ya the stock intake has a "sound generator" hooked to it that creates a loud rumble sound, like a fake exhaust sound, to give the feeling that it's powerful and fast because of the loud noise. Actually a bunch of manufactures are doing this now, pumping the intake sound into the cabin. But that sound generator really just creates a lot of turbulence in the intake tube.

An after market intake, like the Joe-Z or the F-sport eliminates the sound generator making it quieter and smoothing the air flow. Lexus claims the F-Sport intake can give up to a 3% increase in horsepower, which is about 9 hp at the engine and about 5-6 hp at the wheels. Joe-Z inake saw 4-5 hp increase.

For the video.... I could shoot one, but I don't do google (or android) so I don't have a you tube account (or any social media accounts), so not sure where I'd post it. I'm a Desktop Engineer and a Windows only person. I know there are other video posting sites, maybe I'll see what I can come up with.
Thanks for the info. so your in cabin loudness actually decreased after installing the F intake and exhaust but overall, listening to the car from outside is more loud. correct?

Its interesting how you managed to keep your self so isolated from social media drama! i suggest you put the video in Vimeo. it has a better quality than youtube anyways...

looking forward to it
Old 10-09-15, 03:09 PM
Rebirthing
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the info. so your in cabin loudness actually decreased after installing the F intake and exhaust but overall, listening to the car from outside is more loud. correct?

Its interesting how you managed to keep your self so isolated from social media drama! i suggest you put the video in Vimeo. it has a better quality than youtube anyways...

looking forward to it
Changing the intake only will result in quieter cabin noise.
Adding an exhaust however, the sound will be louder both inside AND outside.
What's the point of an exhaust when you can't hear it when you're driving? lol

Quick Reply: Street Stats: 0-60mph and 1/4 mile drag runs