IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Navigation Volume

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-13, 10:35 PM
abcsoup
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Navigation Volume

Is there any way to set the navigation system so that it reduces the music volume when it speaks out directions? Right now, if I'm listening to music, I can barely hear the audio prompts for turns and such. I raised the voice volume to compensate, but now when I don't have music on it's like she's shouting at me, lol.
Old 11-05-13, 03:38 AM
kabgolf1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As far as I know there is no way to set that. My girlfriend has the same issue in her RX.
Old 11-05-13, 05:59 AM
sloosh
Driver

Originally Posted by kabgolf1
As far as I know there is no way to set that. My girlfriend has the same issue in her RX.
? You can set it in the Navigation or Audio settings. I know I've seen it.
Old 11-05-13, 06:46 AM
abcsoup
Driver

Originally Posted by sloosh
? You can set it in the Navigation or Audio settings. I know I've seen it.
Hmm, okay, I will check it out and see if I can find it later today.
Old 11-05-13, 07:10 AM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow; this is the SAME EXACT problem I’m having. I mentioned same to the master tech at my dealer when I recently brought mine into service and the result was that it cannot be changed, although I am not confident that he exhausted all resources. I plan to write Lexus regarding same, as EVERY other car I've ever had with navigation automatically reduces the volume of the radio / source when directions are being given (and that's including a Lexus LX470). How could they have gotten this simple, basic and important function wrong? I urge every to please contact Lexus corporate regarding this, whether by calling 800-25-LEXUS or by e-mailing them on their website. This can be so easily fixed!

Last edited by dbs600; 11-25-13 at 09:02 PM.
Old 11-05-13, 09:41 AM
abcsoup
Driver

Originally Posted by dbs600
Wow; this is the SAME EXACT problem I’m having. I mentioned same to the master tech at my dealer when I recently brought mine into service and the result was that it cannot be changed, although I am not % confident that he exhausted all resources. I plan to write Lexus regarding same, as EVERY other car I've ever had with navigation automatically reduces the volume of the radio / source when directions are being given (and that's including a Lexus LX470). How could they have gotten this simple, basic and important function wrong? I urge every to please contact Lexus corporate regarding this, whether by calling 800-25-LEXUS or by e-mailing them on their website. This can be so easily fixed!
Yeah, this feature is quite an oversight from a usability standpoint, especially since it's been there on previous vehicles. I'm guessing it could be addressed with a nav system update (v9000 perhaps?), but there's no guarantee of that.
Old 11-05-13, 10:05 AM
albino1
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just a thought: have you tried turning the volume ****/hitting the buttons on the wheel when it starts to talk? I feel like I did this and the volume changed without increasing the radio.
Old 11-05-13, 10:10 AM
abcsoup
Driver

Originally Posted by albino1
Just a thought: have you tried turning the volume ****/hitting the buttons on the wheel when it starts to talk? I feel like I did this and the volume changed without increasing the radio.
I think I turned the volume **** down, which made my music volume drop so I could hear the nav voice in the background more clearly. But I don't remember it changing the volume of the nav voice.
Old 11-05-13, 11:14 AM
sloosh
Driver

Verified you can change it via Menu -> Setup -> Voice.

Edit: note changing the volume controller **** won't adjust the nav volume.

Last edited by sloosh; 11-05-13 at 11:14 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 11-05-13, 12:34 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

To be clear, yes, we can change the volume of the navigation voice, but that's not the point. What is the point is to have the system automatically, temporarily lower the volume of the radio when the navigation voice comes on. Increasing the navigation voice to a loud volume and having it come on is annoying when you’re either listing to radio that’s low in volume or not listening to any radio at all...

Last edited by dbs600; 11-05-13 at 03:47 PM.
Old 11-05-13, 01:19 PM
vbx
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To be clear, yes, we can change the volume of the navigation voice, but that's not the point, which is to have the system automatically, temporarily lower the volume of the audio / radio when the navigation voice comes on. Increasing the navigation voice to a loud volume and having it come on is annoying when you’re either listing to audio that’s low in volume or not listening to any audio at all...
This is a Lexus. It's a luxury car. If you want a car that has a better navi system with smoother animation and one that lowers the volume of the radio while the navi is speaking get any other car. .
Old 11-05-13, 03:42 PM
sloosh
Driver

To be clear, yes, we can change the volume of the navigation voice, but that's not the point, which is to have the system automatically, temporarily lower the volume of the audio / radio when the navigation voice comes on. Increasing the navigation voice to a loud volume and having it come on is annoying when you’re either listing to audio that’s low in volume or not listening to any audio at all...
Ah - nevermind then.
Old 11-05-13, 03:48 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sloosh
Ah - nevermind then.
I really don't know how it's possible they got this wrong. Confused.

Good thing is that it can be fixed with programming, but they need to hear from us.
Old 11-05-13, 04:00 PM
vbx
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really don't know how it's possible they got this wrong. Confused.

Good thing is that it can be fixed with programming, but they need to hear from us.
I filled out a survey stating that I wanted that option. Everyone should do the same when they get the survey email.

Complaining does work. Previously we couldn't recirculate the cabin air in the 2013 and older Infiniti vehicles. The 2014 model now lets you do that. (Well, the Q50 we can).
Old 11-05-13, 06:03 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

How did this work in last generation IS? Even my 2002 Acura TL-S with Nav did this.

Quick Reply: Navigation Volume