IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Navigation Volume

Old 11-05-13, 06:21 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Hmm this is weird. I never noticed this in my car and I can hear the voice prompt fine while radio is on. I thought it lowers the volume just like 2IS?
Old 11-05-13, 09:22 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dojoman
I thought it lowers the volume just like 2IS?
Can you please confirm whether or not your radio automatically lowers when navigation voice guidance is given? It would be a huge help if it does automatically lower, meaning it's only a matter of a setting in need of change to fix this issue...
Old 11-06-13, 10:11 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by dbs600
Can you please confirm whether or not your radio automatically lowers when navigation voice guidance is given? It would be a huge help if it does automatically lower, meaning it's only a matter of a setting in need of change to fix this issue...
Just tested this morning. Unfortunately it doesn't lower the volume automatically. Wow what a huge oversight from Lexus. My previous 2IS did this automatically.
Old 11-06-13, 01:21 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Just tested this morning. Unfortunately it doesn't lower the volume automatically. Wow what a huge oversight from Lexus. My previous 2IS did this automatically.
Yes, please let Lexus know about this; I have. Thanks.
Old 11-21-13, 09:20 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Spoke with Lexus corporate and I’m exceptionally dissatisfied with their response.

High level employee initially states Lexus believed the audio / radio would automatically lower in volume on navigation guidance, that Lexus’ supplier of the hardware / software believed same should happen too, but they’ve tested two IS’ they have on hand and confirmed the audio / radio does not automatically lower.

Had to argue with the representative to get him to look into the matter further. I said I do not need him being defensive and only want resolution to something that was thought to be a requirement of Lexus in the first place (as if I’m in the twilight zone or something; a company like Lexus with requirements to just roll over when a supplier does not deliver as required!?). I stated every other car I’ve had with navigation automatically lowers the volume upon guidance, past Lexus’ included, and brought up other grounds why same should be programmed to automatically lower, safety included.

I received a follow-up call with more detail stating that on past Lexus vehicles the voice guidance would come through a speaker on the driver’s door, which would temporarily cut out audio / radio sound from said speaker, where the system wouldn’t actually lower the volume at other speakers, but that there would be a perceived lowering in volume, as one speaker stopped broadcasting the audio / radio. Representative went on to state that the way it is set up now is that there’s an independent speaker for the navigation guidance and nothing has changed such that all other speakers still continue at the same audio / radio volume, and he left it at that, as if that was a satisfactory answer!?

I asked what needs to be done about this, etc. and he had nothing to say. I rehashed my issues with the current setup, ask him what he drives now / what he's driven in the past, etc. and he came back stating all Lexus models are like this now and that unless there are a lot of complaints nothing will be done (albeit individual complaints are sometimes cherry picked for review). I said I do not want to file a NHTSA complaint and that this needs to be resolved; that I’m reaching out to corporate to improve the vehicle. He said reports 'can be' forwarded for review, which got me very upset. Why is he telling me what CAN BE done(!?); Why not say he WILL do same!? This is after nearly two combined hours of speaking to him over three phone calls (yes, three); he should certainly know my position by now.

He repeated the best thing is for others to call or write in complaining, to which I said if we know there is an issue, why wait for complaints? I have his direct number and asked if it would be alright if I publish same on forums for others to contact him directly, to which he obviously said no. Nevertheless, he said he cannot guarantee anything. I said I don’t need guarantees, but want proper action taken and based on our conversation thus far, it’s something he should have offered to achieve, not something he should tell me about and leave it at that, at which point he said he would forward my complaint for review.

ANYWAY, EVERYONE, PLEASE(!) notify Lexus of concerns over not being able to hear navigation voice guidance, as same does not automatically lower audio / radio volume when it comes on. You can either call them at: 800-25-LEXUS (53987) or e-mail them here: http://lexus2.custhelp.com/app/ask. Unbelievable how helpful (researching the matter, getting back to me, etc.), but unhelpful (not willing to ensure proper action for resolution) Lexus has been thus far. AND file an NHTSA complaint as you see fit; I certainly will. We need a software update for this ASAP. Thank you very much.

Last edited by dbs600; 11-22-13 at 06:59 AM.
Old 11-21-13, 09:30 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Spoke with Lexus corporate and I’m exceptionally dissatisfied with their response.

High level employee initially states Lexus believed the audio / radio would automatically lower in volume on navigation guidance, that Lexus’ supplier of the hardware / software believed same should happen too, but they’ve tested two IS’ they have on hand and confirmed the audio / radio does not automatically lower.

Had to argue with the representative to get him to look into the matter further. I said I do not need him being defensive and only want resolution to something that was thought to be a requirement of Lexus in the first place (as if I’m in the twilight zone or something; a company like Lexus with requirements to just roll over when a supplier does not deliver as required!?). I stated every other car I’ve had with navigation automatically lowers the volume upon guidance, past Lexus’ included, any brought up other grounds why same should be programmed to automatically lower, safety included.

I received a follow-up call with more detail stating on past Lexus vehicles the voice guidance would come through a speaker on the driver’s door, which would temporarily cut out audio / radio sound from said speaker, where the system wouldn’t actually lower the volume at all other speakers, such that there would be a perceived lowering, as one speaker stopped broadcasting the audio / radio. Representative went on to further state the way it is set up now is that there’s now an independent speaker for the navigation guidance and that nothing has changed to the extent all other speakers still continue at the same audio / radio volume, and he left it at that, as if that was a satisfactory answer!?

I asked what needs to be done about this, etc. and he said nothing. I rehashed my issues with the current setup, questioned him on what he drives now / what he's driven in the past, etc. and he came back stating all Lexus models are like this now and that unless there are a lot of complaints nothing will be done (albeit individual complaints are sometimes cherry picked for review). I said I do not want to file a NHTSA complaint and that this needs to be resolved; that I’m reaching out to corporate to improve our vehicles. He said reports 'can be' forwarded for review, which got me very upset. Why is he telling me what CAN BE done(!?); Why not say he WILL do same!? This is after nearly two combined hours of speaking to him over three phone calls (yes, three); he should certainly know my unrelenting position by now.

He repeated the best thing is for others to call or write in complaining, to which I said if we know there is an issue, why wait for complaints? I have his direct number and asked if it would be alright if I publish same on forums for others to contact him directly, to which he obviously said no. Nevertheless, he said he cannot guarantee anything. I said I don’t need guarantees, but want proper action taken and based on our conversation thus far, it’s something he should have offered to achieve, not something he should tell me about and leaves it at that, at which point he said he would forward my complaint for review. Is this an East Coast - West Coast misunderstanding or something, people operate more slowly there? G-d.

ANYWAY, EVERYONE, PLEASE(!) notify Lexus of concerns over not being able to hear navigation voice guidance, as same does not automatically lower audio / radio volume. You can either call them at: 800-25-LEXUS (53987) or e-mail them here: http://lexus2.custhelp.com/app/ask. Unbelievable how helpful (researching the matter, getting back to me, etc.), but unhelpful (not willing to ensure proper action for resolution) Lexus has been thus far. AND file NHTSA complaints as you see fit; I certainly will. We need a software update for this ASAP. Thank you very much.
I don't have my car yet but I still cant' believe this isn't working that way already. I'm hoping this issue gets resolved soon before my car arrives in 1.5 months but if not I'll also call and ask them to address this. But I agree that they should be addressing this without all of us having to say it's not right.
Old 11-21-13, 09:46 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

i think you have entirely too much free time on your hands. while i agree on your point, i really don't think its that big of a deal.
my 2013 GS 350 doesn't lower the volume, but i find if i set the nav volume to a reasonable level it works fine for most of the music volumes i use. if i have the radio way up loud i either don't need the verbal instructions or i can see the instruction on the nav screen.
Old 11-21-13, 09:52 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Meh, I kind of like it the way it is. I like that it doesn't interrupt my music to give me directions. Apparently I'm in the minority here...
Old 11-22-13, 06:31 AM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

speaking of, if they could find a way to get the navi to shut the hell up when i am talking on the phone you would really have something!
dammit i hate that!
Old 11-22-13, 06:57 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Bass Mech
speaking of, if they could find a way to get the navi to shut the hell up when i am talking on the phone you would really have something!
dammit i hate that!
That's pretty funny. Just last night I was talking to my wife on the phone, while she was driving to an appointment in her RX. Our conversation kept getting interrupted by her nav commands.

Me: "How was your day?"
RX nav: "In 1 mile, slight right onto northbound I-5"
Wife: "This nav lady is rude!"

Old 11-22-13, 07:00 AM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

dammit i hate that!
It's similar principal as what dbs600 is asking for. I didn't have Bluetooth in my previous car so I can't say how other cars work.

You should call Lexus with a request.
Old 11-22-13, 07:09 AM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No it didn;t. You oversight that one too. They had that wrong since 2IS . So embarrassing for not having fixed. All it take is a firmware update.
Old 11-22-13, 07:14 AM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SonyHome
I don't have my car yet but I still cant' believe this isn't working that way already. I'm hoping this issue gets resolved soon before my car arrives in 1.5 months but if not I'll also call and ask them to address this. But I agree that they should be addressing this without all of us having to say it's not right.
If people don't speak up, nothing will be done. You should call / write in now, stating you've gone on a test drive, had an issue with the navigation system, read this forume / thread, etc.

i think you have entirely too much free time on your hands. while i agree on your point, i really don't think its that big of a deal.
my 2013 GS 350 doesn't lower the volume, but i find if i set the nav volume to a reasonable level it works fine for most of the music volumes i use. if i have the radio way up loud i either don't need the verbal instructions or i can see the instruction on the nav screen.
This is something that's exceptionally annoying and of poor design, and if I had known, I may have purchased another vehicle. I do a good amount of driving and how I use my time should not be your concern, but know that I do not have free time to miss turns and exits on my way to meetings. If you agree, great, for which support would be appreciated. You probably don't listen to radio at too high of a volume. The system is nonsense and even if designed to not lower the radio, the navigation should automatically adjust with the radio, so that you always hear it, not that it remains at a certain preset volume under all conditions.

Originally Posted by JDR76
Meh, I kind of like it the way it is. I like that it doesn't interrupt my music to give me directions. Apparently I'm in the minority here...
Is this your first car with navigation? When you miss a turn or an exit, causing you to take a detour, which delays you, I'm sure you'd like it if the system had [very] briefly lowered your radio, and, if anything, the radio with pause capability (which stupidly doesn't have an on board hard drive for a music collection) can pick up right where it left off.

dammit i hate that!
This is all related and Lexus needs to hear from you, writing them takes only a couple of minutes. If anything, there needs to be an option whether or not the navigation system automatically lowers the radio or not and an option whether or not the phone automatically lowers the navigation system.

I repeat, EVERYONE, PLEASE notify Lexus of concerns over not being able to hear navigation voice guidance. You can either call them at: 800-25-LEXUS (53987) or e-mail them here: http://lexus2.custhelp.com/app/ask. Thanks.

Last edited by dbs600; 11-22-13 at 08:01 AM.
Old 11-22-13, 07:37 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Is this your first car with navigation? When you miss a turn or an exit, causing you to take a detour, which delays you, I'm sure you'd like it if the system had [very] briefly lowered your radio, and, if anything, the automatically pausing radio (which stupidly doesn't have an on board hard drive for a music collection) can pick up right where it left off.
No, it is not my first car with navigation. Nor is it my only car with navigation.

In addition to the voice command, the next turn shows up both on my nav screen as well as on my instrument cluster display, so I have to fail to notice both displays plus the voice command to miss a turn.

I understand it's an issue for you that you do not like, and that you'd like to see it changed, but for me, it's not an issue and I would rather just use the displays for directions rather than have my music interrupted, in the event that I do not hear the next command. I would prefer that Lexus leave it as it is.
Old 11-22-13, 07:58 AM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

If people don't speak up, nothing will be done. You should call / write in now, stating you've gone on a test drive, had an issue with the navigation system, read this forume / thread, etc.

This is something that's exceptionally annoying and of poor design, and if I had known, I may have purchased another vehicle. I do a good amount of driving and how I use my time should not be your concern, but know that I do not have free time to miss turns and exits on my way to meetings. If you agree, great, for which support would be appreciated. You probably don't listen to radio at too high of a volume. The system is nonsense and even if designed to not lower the radio, the navigation should automatically adjust with the radio, so that you always hear it, not that it remains at a certain preset volume under all conditions.

Is this your first car with navigation? When you miss a turn or an exit, causing you to take a detour, which delays you, I'm sure you'd like it if the system had [very] briefly lowered your radio, and, if anything, the automatically pausing radio (which stupidly doesn't have an on board hard drive for a music collection) can pick up right where it left off.

This is all related and Lexus needs to hear from you, writing them takes only a couple of minutes. If anything, there needs to be an option whether or not the navigation system automatically lowers the radio or not and an option whether or not the phone automatically lowers the navigation system.

I repeat, EVERYONE, PLEASE notify Lexus of concerns over not being able to hear navigation voice guidance. You can either call them at: 800-25-LEXUS (53987) or e-mail them here: http://lexus2.custhelp.com/app/ask. Thanks.
Alright. I went ahead and submitted a request to add this feature.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Navigation Volume