IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

DIY - FIX small squeak, rattle, and ticking Driver's Side

Old 11-02-13, 03:41 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts
Smile DIY - FIX small squeak, rattle, and ticking Driver's Side

Some history in this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...vers-side.html

Before proceeding, I have to state the usual common-sense disclaimer that I can't responsible for any damage to your vehicle.

But the good news is after some extensive troubleshooting, I've narrowed down the source of the squeaks, small rattle, and ticking to the following. If you're OCD as I am with these small noises, I hope this helps you as it has me. DIY for each source and fix will be posted in three separate posts below.

TOTAL DIY TIME: < 1 hr
SKILL REQUIREMENT: Low to moderate

1. Squeaking: From the metal clips in the grab handle rubbing directly against the metal opening in the ceiling. Solution: add fabric tape on the clips.

2. Rattle: From the B-pillar's seat-belt height adjuster plastic covers. Solution: add folded fabric tape in the joints.

3. Ticking: From door's motion along rubber seal and against the lower B-pillar cover. Solution: add fabric tape on door latch, on inner B-pillar clip, and inside rubber.

Materials required: 3M Fabric (Hockey) tape or equivalent, exacto knife (or scissors), small flat-head screw driver, large flat-head screwdriver (or any other large screwdriver)
Attached Thumbnails DIY - FIX small squeak, rattle, and ticking Driver's Side-materials.jpg  

Last edited by corradoMR2; 11-02-13 at 07:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Vovchik (04-26-21)
Old 11-02-13, 03:42 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Default 1 of 3

DIY 1 of 3: Fix the squeaking in the Grab Handle.

DIY TIME: < 30 mins

1. Remove the the plastic covers: You will see slits on the side. Use the small flat-head screw driver. NOTE: To minimize scuffing and indenting the plastic, put tape on the tip of the screwdriver. You will need to use some force to pry it up from one side, then the other. Repeat for other plastic cover. You may slightly indent the plastic as I have (see pic) but personally I'm fine with it since no one will see it.

2. Remove the grab bar: On one side, grab onto the two edges of the metal clip and press inwards and pull grab bar out on that side. Metal clip will remain. Remove the clip from ceiling using same process (this part I found tricky and you have to compress with some force). Repeat other side.

3. Insulate the metal clip and re-insert: Add two layers of the fabric tape onto the exterior of the clips. Re-insert the clips into the grab bar.

4. Re-insert the grab handle: Insert one side back into the ceiling hole, then the other. You should feel it click into the ceiling. Insert the plastic covers. DONE.
Attached Thumbnails DIY - FIX small squeak, rattle, and ticking Driver's Side-grab1.jpg   DIY - FIX small squeak, rattle, and ticking Driver's Side-grab2.jpg   DIY - FIX small squeak, rattle, and ticking Driver's Side-grab3.jpg   DIY - FIX small squeak, rattle, and ticking Driver's Side-grab4.jpg   DIY - FIX small squeak, rattle, and ticking Driver's Side-grab5.jpg  

Last edited by corradoMR2; 11-03-13 at 02:34 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by corradoMR2:
perezdr (07-25-20), Vovchik (04-26-21)
Old 11-02-13, 03:43 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Default 2 of 3

DIY 2 of 3: Fix the rattle in the B-Pillar seat belt height adjuster.

DIY TIME: 10 mins

NOTE: With this fix applied, you will need to set the seat-belt height adjustment to your final preferred height. You should not move the height afterwards or you will undo the fix.

1. Prep the thick fabric tape: Cut four to 5 pieces of fabric tape 1 to 3 inches in length. Fold each piece along its length so that you're creating a thicker but narrow piece.

2. Apply the thick tape in the seat belt adjustment assembly: Add in various places (see pic). You may need the small screw driver to jam it in the various crevices. I left mine protruding a little but feel free to push it in near-flush (but not too deep or it will fall in). Make sure assembly is tight. DONE.
Attached Thumbnails DIY - FIX small squeak, rattle, and ticking Driver's Side-belt1.jpg  

Last edited by corradoMR2; 11-03-13 at 02:35 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by corradoMR2:
Leon889 (05-03-22), perezdr (07-25-20), Vovchik (04-26-21)
Old 11-02-13, 03:44 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Default 3 of 3

DIY 3 of 3: Fix the ticking in and around the middle B-Pillar

DIY TIME: 20 mins

1. Tighten the door onto latch: Cut a piece of fabric tape 1 cm by about 5 cm. Wrap around door latch (see pic). It should wrap no more than three times around. The door will feel a little tight to open but this step ensures a tighter close and minimizes door motion over bumps. If the door is hard to open, the tape is too thick and reduce the length. NOTE: Over time, the door will not feel as tight to open due to the wearing over time. You may need to re-apply then.

2. Insulate inner B-pillar panel clip: NOTE: This is a tricky step. Cut a very small 1 cm by 0.5 cm piece of fabric tape. To handle it use the small screw driver. Pull back the top of the B-pillar plastic cover gently. To hold it in place, use the large screw driver. Carefully place the small tape onto the white plastic latch (see pic). Remove the large screw driver and snap back the cover. The Black clip from the cover will clip onto the tape/latch for a snug squeak-free fit.

3. Insulate door rubber interior: (OPTIONAL) Cut a 4" by 3/4" piece of fabric tape. Pull away the rubber at location shown (pic). Apply tape. This step resolves an annoying ticking with the rubber. If you tap on it from the outside, it will not make the ticking. On your vehicle, this location may be a little different and as such, tap onto the exterior of the rubber along its length to see where the ticking noise occurs, and apply tape there. It should be along the B-pillar if ticking even exists with the rubber.

4. Insulate door frame where it contacts inner frame rubber seal: Apply the fabric tape along the door frame to resolve ticking around the door frame (see pic). This occurs because of metal of the door frame making contact against stiff and dry rubber weather stripping around the door frame. This is more noticeable in drier colder weather.
Attached Thumbnails DIY - FIX small squeak, rattle, and ticking Driver's Side-pillar1.jpg   DIY - FIX small squeak, rattle, and ticking Driver's Side-pillar2.jpg   DIY - FIX small squeak, rattle, and ticking Driver's Side-pillar3.jpg   DIY - FIX small squeak, rattle, and ticking Driver's Side-pillar4.jpg   DIY - FIX small squeak, rattle, and ticking Driver's Side-pillar5.jpg  

Last edited by corradoMR2; 11-04-13 at 06:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
perezdr (07-25-20)
Old 11-02-13, 03:50 PM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, great post!

Do you make house calls?
Old 11-02-13, 04:33 PM
abcsoup
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow the detail in this DIY is amazing. Hopefully I won't need to use it but awesome job!
Old 11-02-13, 05:43 PM
ibminh
Driver School Candidate

Thank god this does not apply to me
Old 11-02-13, 06:44 PM
hoosier1
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great post, and thanks for taking time to provide pictures. I've been listening for any squeaks or rattles and have noted none after 500 miles, but if these appear, we all have a good starting point to get them fixed.
Old 11-02-13, 08:00 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Nice write up. You should work for Lexus.
Old 11-02-13, 10:11 PM
2014IS250
Rookie

Wow, thank you!
Old 11-02-13, 10:48 PM
semoquer
Rookie

Wow.. I'm just curious how many people out there have these rattles/squeaks.. I've always known Lexus to be the quietest cars. You are paying a premium, and the price should not come with rattles!
Old 11-03-13, 09:33 AM
r0shiro
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

nice thread my man! keep up the good work. making the world better one DIY at a time...motto. =)
Old 11-03-13, 07:00 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

My pleasure. If any of you try the diy, please post feedback.

Semoquer, Lexus is practically the quietest brand and most reliable so we hear the slightest noise and complain about it as spoiled as we are. Thankfully, it's just that and I'll take that over the German brands' major issues any day.
Old 11-04-13, 08:45 AM
JGard18
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread couldn't have shown up at a better time! I just started noticing some metal on metal sounding vibration noises this past weekend for the first time. I'll have to pay closer attention to where exactly they are coming from. It sounded like it was behind me, so I'm guessing maybe the seatbelt dealy
Old 11-04-13, 06:05 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

JGard18, glad to hear. Please post feedback as I'm always interesting in continually improving this DIY as needed.

Speaking of which, I found another source of small ticking that wasn't present prior to the last 24 hours thanks to colder weather now. It's the metal door frame against the frame's rubber seal. I added Step 4 and a new pic in the "3 of 3" DIY above.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY - FIX small squeak, rattle, and ticking Driver's Side