See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Cleaning and Detailing Guides
Print Wikipost

Is the paint protection worth it?

Old 10-29-13, 10:04 AM
Randre19
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Is the paint protection worth it?

My sales guy at Lexus recommends I get the paint protection put on. Typically sells for $1200 but he said he would knock it down to $800.

Is it worth the money?

Never had to have paint protection on my cars so not sure if he's just trying to squeeze more money out of the sale.
Old 10-29-13, 10:06 AM
enoren
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Randre19
My sales guy at Lexus recommends I get the paint protection put on. Typically sells for $1200 but he said he would knock it down to $800.

Is it worth the money?

Never had to have paint protection on my cars so not sure if he's just trying to squeeze more money out of the sale.
Not worth it. This is a profit center for the dealership.
Old 10-29-13, 10:38 AM
embolism
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$800 wow... probably costs the dealer about $50 worth of product and labour
Old 10-29-13, 10:59 AM
sloosh
Driver

I paid $950 for self healing clear bra (Xpel Ultimate) that covers the complete hood, front bumper, both fenders, mirrors, rockers, trunk lip, and undersides near the wheels. I like it so much I'm considering getting the entire car done.

Your dealer is ripping you off...but what else can you expect from them? :P
Old 10-29-13, 11:27 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

Get it via a 3rd party installer after the car is purchased....

Paint protection or clear bra on the paint / head lights / fog lights etc.. Is worth getting if you don't want any rock chips on anything up front..!!

~ Joe Z
Old 10-29-13, 11:31 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Big time profit for the dealer. I would imagine there are some shady dealers, yes even those who sell the Lexus brand, who would take the cash and apply nothing. How would you ever know? If you have to have it, go elsewhere.
Old 10-29-13, 11:41 AM
js1011
Rookie

There are various sealants that you can buy and do it yourself for cheap. Clear bra is another option, but dirt will accumulate at the edges, and it doesn't look that good on white.
Old 10-29-13, 12:33 PM
AlGonquin
Driver School Candidate

I bought 'paint protection' and have all the paint nicks that I thought I was protecting against. Don't waste your money. To protect from weather (soft damage), I use NuFinish, which is inexpensive and works, or you could research other more expensive waxes/polishes.

Next time it is a clear bra for me, though the border line could be an issue for some people (see above re. white finishes). I've seen plenty of them on exotic cars.

Todays paint finishes nick (from rocks and pebbles) way too easily.

Last edited by AlGonquin; 10-29-13 at 12:38 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 10-29-13, 12:56 PM
mmims2000
Driver

The paint protection doesn't protect against and knicks, scratches, etc like a clear bra will. All it's supposed to do is basically "seal" the paint so that bird crap, acid rain, etc. doesn't leave a residue and is easier to remove. Sort of like a glorified wax. It's very little benefit for the expense. And I've seen it on other cars and I don't even think it really does anything. I think you're better off with regular washing and good quality wax to protect the car. Then, if you really want to protect your car, a clear bra works great against road rash, and is virtually invisible if installed by someone who has a lot of experience. I have the front end of my car done, and I highly recommend it.
Old 10-29-13, 01:04 PM
Randre19
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for all the great input guys!

Any of you know a good 3rd party installer in chicago?
Old 10-29-13, 02:25 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

my advice is IGNORE anyone's opinion here unless they live in a state where it snows.
people in California don't get nearly the rock chipping problem we do in Colorado where they sand the roads when it snows.
if you live where there is no snow I would tell you that the clear bra may be a waste. or at least if you do get it installed the really thin stuff is plenty.

in Colorado if you don't cover your headlights, hood, fenders and mirrors your car will look like crap in a couple years.
there is something to be said for just repainting. but if your fairly skilled at installing clear bra its worth it in materials to install it yourself, if it gets tore up you can remove and replace with new pretty easily.
call it a cheap insurance policy if you like.
if I lived in California, Arizona, or Texas I wouldn't bother personally I don't like having to install it but its better than having the whole front end look like its been through a sand storm.

we also replace windshields here a lot, however people who tailgate others often buy a lot more glass than people like me who leave about 2-3x the normal follow distance on the highway.
with wind, the little sand particles on the road travel a lot more than the rocks that crack your glass those can be avoided by knowing how to drive.
Old 10-29-13, 02:50 PM
Skinnyfats
Pole Position

Places that it snows I would get the paint protection film. Here in SE Texas we don't get snow. Rocks, sand and other crap being kicked up onto your car is rare. Back in DC I would get at least one rock chip per year if not two to three. Never had a windshield last more than 3 years without chips.

I did get the dent protection which repairs door dings. They wanted 1250 for it but knocked it down to 450. Just so that I have peace of mind when people start dinging my doors. It will happen its only a matter of time.
Old 10-29-13, 03:21 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Skinnyfats
Places that it snows I would get the paint protection film. Here in SE Texas we don't get snow. Rocks, sand and other crap being kicked up onto your car is rare. Back in DC I would get at least one rock chip per year if not two to three. Never had a windshield last more than 3 years without chips.

I did get the dent protection which repairs door dings. They wanted 1250 for it but knocked it down to 450. Just so that I have peace of mind when people start dinging my doors. It will happen its only a matter of time.
for what it's worth the door ding is just profit for the dealer in my experience door dings are about 30-40 bucks to remove. you would have to have 10 removed to make it worthwhile verses paying for it yourself.
Old 10-29-13, 03:30 PM
Skinnyfats
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bass Mech
for what it's worth the door ding is just profit for the dealer in my experience door dings are about 30-40 bucks to remove. you would have to have 10 removed to make it worthwhile verses paying for it yourself.
That is only if the door ding is a quarter or smaller. Anything larger you have to take it to a shop and that is 300 to 400 a pop. Here in Texas people drive big azz trucks and they murder your doors with those huge doors.
Old 10-29-13, 06:10 PM
azmojo
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

For $800, you can buy a lot of professional paint touch up & repair, or even have the bumper re-painted.

Also depends how long you plan to own it. No one expects a used car to be chip-free.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is the paint protection worth it?