Print Wikipost

Is the paint protection worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-13, 06:27 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Randre19
My sales guy at Lexus recommends I get the paint protection put on. Typically sells for $1200 but he said he would knock it down to $800.

Is it worth the money?

Never had to have paint protection on my cars so not sure if he's just trying to squeeze more money out of the sale.
i never really addressed your question so ill post again for you.
the simple answer is NEVER BUY ANYTHING extra from the finance or sales office!
why spend all that time negotiating a lower price just to walk into the finance office and be sold a load of crap that just brings the purchase price back up?
i have a lengthy post in another thread i don't want to bother to typing all out again on this very subject.
but the bottom line is sure some people may benefit from stuff like this, but more often than not they never use these services. my Lexus dealer will give me free dent repair if i ask nice, if i have to pay for it they give it to me for their cost.
why did they offer to sell to you for almost 1/2 price? its just a silly sales game to get you to pay more than you really want to for the car. nothing more, nothing less.
so you get a door ding, you come to the dealer and get it repaired while the ding guy is on the lot one afternoon already fixing other cars, do you really think they spent any money getting your car fixed? the only thing they did was talk you out of another 800 bucks of your hard earned money!
Old 10-29-13, 07:02 PM
Randre19
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What are the best areas to put PPF on? Which are a must? Im guessing hood (partial or full?), bumper, and fenders. Maybe headlights and mirrors? What do you guys think?
Old 10-29-13, 07:07 PM
Randre19
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bass Mech
i never really addressed your question so ill post again for you.
the simple answer is NEVER BUY ANYTHING extra from the finance or sales office!
why spend all that time negotiating a lower price just to walk into the finance office and be sold a load of crap that just brings the purchase price back up?
i have a lengthy post in another thread i don't want to bother to typing all out again on this very subject.
but the bottom line is sure some people may benefit from stuff like this, but more often than not they never use these services. my Lexus dealer will give me free dent repair if i ask nice, if i have to pay for it they give it to me for their cost.
why did they offer to sell to you for almost 1/2 price? its just a silly sales game to get you to pay more than you really want to for the car. nothing more, nothing less.
so you get a door ding, you come to the dealer and get it repaired while the ding guy is on the lot one afternoon already fixing other cars, do you really think they spent any money getting your car fixed? the only thing they did was talk you out of another 800 bucks of your hard earned money!
Your right about getting pitched to spend more money! The place that is doing my tints (shadeddays) also does PPF so if i choose to get it I will go through them as they are almost half the price of lexus. Thanks for the input about the need for PPF in winter months. I'm from chicago so winter/snow is definitely an issue. Im still debating whether or not to get it but either way I am not paying lexus to do it.
Old 10-29-13, 07:12 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

What are the best areas to put PPF on? Which are a must? Im guessing hood (partial or full?), bumper, and fenders. Maybe headlights and mirrors? What do you guys think?
anything that faces forward that you don't want chipped up.

heres what i do, let the installers do stuff like the bumper and difficult shapes. hoods are very easy to do and so are headlights. so i do those and sometimes mirrors and i usually do the rocker panels also.
anything flat is an absolute breeze to clear bra. anything that has gaps you can wrap the material around will give a clean install.

if you can remove a grille and lay the CB under it you will get excellent results.

you really need to cover at least 18 inches back from the front of the hood..
headlights are usually pretty easy but the IS headlights you may want to leave to a professional.

fog lights if you have them tend to get hot and may burn the clear bra off so test the temp of the lens after they have been on for a few minutes with a quick tap test.
Old 10-29-13, 07:21 PM
Randre19
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bass Mech
anything that faces forward that you don't want chipped up.

heres what i do, let the installers do stuff like the bumper and difficult shapes. hoods are very easy to do and so are headlights. so i do those and sometimes mirrors and i usually do the rocker panels also.
anything flat is an absolute breeze to clear bra. anything that has gaps you can wrap the material around will give a clean install.

if you can remove a grille and lay the CB under it you will get excellent results.

you really need to cover at least 18 inches back from the front of the hood..
headlights are usually pretty easy but the IS headlights you may want to leave to a professional.

fog lights if you have them tend to get hot and may burn the clear bra off so test the temp of the lens after they have been on for a few minutes with a quick tap test.
I dont know if itrust myself or have a steady eanough hand to apply the clear bra myself. Most likely will let the professionals do it. Thank you for all the help its greatly appreciated
After all this PPF talk, do you have it on your ride?
Old 10-29-13, 08:35 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

my ride is currently somewhere in the middle of the pacific ocean at the moment. i wont see it for at least another month.
but i have done several of my other cars.
Old 11-04-13, 04:58 AM
PTmobile
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the great input guys!

Any of you know a good 3rd party installer in chicago?
Rick at Body-Skins is one of the best and he is mobile... so he will come to you for the work. His rates are also very fair. I highly recommend him... and I am a fellow installer.

http://www.body-skins.com/
Old 11-04-13, 05:00 AM
PTmobile
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Skinnyfats
Places that it snows I would get the paint protection film. Here in SE Texas we don't get snow. Rocks, sand and other crap being kicked up onto your car is rare. Back in DC I would get at least one rock chip per year if not two to three. Never had a windshield last more than 3 years without chips.

I did get the dent protection which repairs door dings. They wanted 1250 for it but knocked it down to 450. Just so that I have peace of mind when people start dinging my doors. It will happen its only a matter of time.
Actually you have something in Houston that is much worse than rock chips, love bugs. They will destroy the paint on your car very quickly... and they are rampant down there. Also Katy/Houston is pretty bad for rock ships as well. There is a lot of road construction going on down there. We get down there all the time for installation work because there are not too many installers there.
Old 11-04-13, 10:35 AM
Randre19
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PTmobile
Rick at Body-Skins is one of the best and he is mobile... so he will come to you for the work. His rates are also very fair. I highly recommend him... and I am a fellow installer.

http://www.body-skins.com/
I was actually looking them up last night and there work looked great and prices seemed good. Wouldn't mind going out to Elgin for quality work. The images describing the different PPF packages on there website were not working so I couldn't see them. What is the bikini cut package? Just smaller area of the car covered?
Old 09-28-14, 09:19 PM
hieu
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you should look into c-quartz or optic coat
Old 09-28-14, 11:09 PM
jennypenny
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

my dad asked me some really practical questions when i wanted to get my car done.

1) does PPF protect against accidents or warranted against accidents?

2) if any accident occur, does the PPF installer reinstall for free?

Otherwise, its just protecting the paint, then your basic washing, polishing and waxing is more than enough.

I didnt get it done. haha,