IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

need a quick favor!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-13, 07:56 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default need a quick favor!

im looking to buy some clear bra for the rocker panels. can someone grab a tape measure and measure the length of the rocker panel from front to back?

also i would like to know how wide of material i need to cover the rear section since its the widest part of the rocker panel. can you open the rear door and measure by bending the measure tape around the rocker and tell me how far it is from the inside under where the door is touching the step part and all the way around to the bottom where the edge of the clear film can be hidden underneath.
im guessing it's at least 8 inches wide. my GS 350 needs at least that much to cover everything.
thanks!
Old 10-25-13, 05:35 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Here you go with pics.
Attached Thumbnails need a quick favor!-dim1.jpg   need a quick favor!-dim2.jpg  
Old 10-25-13, 06:20 AM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

thanks dude!
so from the looks of it i need at least 8 inches wide, probably more like 10 if i want to keep the edges hidden. is that line on your panel clear bra? and is it factory or did you install some aftermarket yourself?
i know the rear piece is factory around the wheel arch and door opening area. but it looks like you have some on the door itself, is that factory also?
Old 10-25-13, 09:51 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

You're welcome. It's all stock.
Old 10-26-13, 12:04 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bass Mech
thanks dude! so from the looks of it i need at least 8 inches wide, probably more like 10 if i want to keep the edges hidden. is that line on your panel clear bra? and is it factory or did you install some aftermarket yourself? i know the rear piece is factory around the wheel arch and door opening area. but it looks like you have some on the door itself, is that factory also?
Hi Bass Mech,

For the rocker panels of the 3IS, your estimate of 10" is quite accurate. If you go for a precut kit for the rocker panels, it would be on a 12" film because of the varying width and twisting shape of the rocker panels. However, you would find it easier to just buy a precut kit - eg. XPEL or Proform Design. The reason is you need to spend more time to deal with crevices and subtle details on the edge of the rocker panels that extends towards the underneath of the car. The clear coat of the rocker panel stops at a certain point.

I am going to install it soon and i will try to post some closeup. Hope it helps.

About the rocker panel, it is when you actually touch it and study it in close detail that you are amazed how much details Lexus has put into design. If anyone do decide to go ahead with clear bra on the car, the rocker panel is a must for this car since it will be pitted in. I time.
Old 10-26-13, 03:40 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AndyL
Hi Bass Mech,

For the rocker panels of the 3IS, your estimate of 10" is quite accurate. If you go for a precut kit for the rocker panels, it would be on a 12" film because of the varying width and twisting shape of the rocker panels. However, you would find it easier to just buy a precut kit - eg. XPEL or Proform Design. The reason is you need to spend more time to deal with crevices and subtle details on the edge of the rocker panels that extends towards the underneath of the car. The clear coat of the rocker panel stops at a certain point.

I am going to install it soon and i will try to post some closeup. Hope it helps.

About the rocker panel, it is when you actually touch it and study it in close detail that you are amazed how much details Lexus has put into design. If anyone do decide to go ahead with clear bra on the car, the rocker panel is a must for this car since it will be pitted in. I time.
is there actually clear bra on the rocker from the factory? i may remove it and install my own because mine will be seamless.
Old 10-26-13, 09:08 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Not from factory but from precut clear bra kits from Xpel or Proform Design. Try to look up their web sites and search for 2014 Lexus.
Old 10-26-13, 09:11 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

i never buy precut kits, thats for amateurs! lol

clear bra is not that hard to put on at all. with a little patience you can usually get it to form to just about any shape.
Old 10-27-13, 01:21 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

clear bra is not that hard to put on at all. with a little patience you can usually get it to form to just about any shape.
Here is my take---- pre-cut kits are not for amateurs. Xpel kits are used by many professional clear bra installers. Also there are other great companies which design great precut kits.

Anyone can install paint protection film but it takes experience and skills to perform a great install.

Of course, if you go for seamless and won't mind taking the time to take the pieces apart --- eg, take out the whole bumper, rocker panel and do clear bra by bulk film, then the result is the best. Or if you go for full hood option, it is popular among installers to use bulk film to cover the hood with wrapped edges for most of the hoods. But for front fenders, pre-cut kit is usually the norm.
Old 10-27-13, 03:09 PM
vbx
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wait... you dont even have the car yet?
Old 10-29-13, 10:41 AM
PTmobile
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We install precut kits all the time. What is amateur about it? Kits are now designed with wrapped edges and the patterns can easily be modified in the software to cover any area you want. That eliminates cutting on the paint... which most amateurs do... and end up damaging the paint in the process of trying to protect it.
Old 10-29-13, 12:13 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PTmobile
We install precut kits all the time. What is amateur about it? Kits are now designed with wrapped edges and the patterns can easily be modified in the software to cover any area you want. That eliminates cutting on the paint... which most amateurs do... and end up damaging the paint in the process of trying to protect it.
I've never cut the paint, I've never seen a precut kit with enough excess to wrap around the edges so I stand corrected. but I still think with some practice and patience you can do a better job without a kit. I usually insert film under the film im cutting to avoid messing up the paint.