IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Rev Limit and Automatic Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-13, 12:10 PM
Rexasaurus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rev Limit and Automatic Shifting

Could not find anything on this for the 2014 model.

I have noticed driving on S/S+ mode with the transmission in "M" the car will seem to still shift up by itself and not bounce of the rev limiter like I would expect it should. Yes it will hold the gear all the way up to 7k rpm but automatically shifts up without touching the paddle.

Does anyone know if the car will actually stay in a desired gear? I have tried doing this with and with out TC on. I turn of TC by holding the button down, not by pedal dance.

Searching I did find that the 09 model will hold the gear until it hits rev limit and you actually desire to change it. Maybe this is something they changed on the 8 speed transmissions?

Any answers to this much appreciated.
Old 10-24-13, 12:35 PM
unixadm
Pit Crew

Received 102 Likes on 31 Posts

That doesn't surprise me and I wouldn't expect a car in this class or from Lexus to do that. The only car I've had which would hold a gear and bounce off the rev limiter until you commanded a shift with my 2009 C63 Merc. I never found it really necessary even with the most spirited driving. It was cool that it would do it though, especially when doing a burnout.
Old 10-24-13, 01:32 PM
alexlude
Lead Lap

When i test drove it in Manual, i was able to redline in Sport+ and it bounced off rev limiter maybe once or twice before i manually upshifted using paddles. Didn't want to keep it there with my foot on the floor with the salesman next to me! HA!
Old 10-24-13, 01:45 PM
Rexasaurus
Driver School Candidate

Really? I just try to do it today in 1st and it automatically up shifted into 2nd while in "M". I'll try it again when I leave work.
Old 10-24-13, 01:49 PM
alexlude
Lead Lap

this was not in 1st.. probably in 3rd or 4th.. but i mashed on the pedal.. was on freeway i think at 4th or 5th.. down shifted a few gears and mashed it.. it definitely hit the rev limiter and bounced once or twice

not something i would do to my own car, that's for sure.
Old 10-24-13, 03:12 PM
JGard18
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It comes in very handy if you want to AutoX this car, I know that much. I used to live on the rev limiter when I autocrossed.

I saw a video review of this car prior to buying it where the guy stated it would hold the gear and bounce off the limiter until you told it to shift, but I have not tried it myself yet
Old 10-25-13, 11:02 AM
sloosh
Driver

You have to disable it to prevent it from upshifting automatically....it's somewhere in the tach options. I'm pretty sure you also have to be in S+.
Old 10-26-13, 04:25 PM
aTeAse
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sloosh
You have to disable it to prevent it from upshifting automatically....it's somewhere in the tach options. I'm pretty sure you also have to be in S+.
Can anyone confirm this on the 3is?
Old 10-28-13, 07:08 AM
sloosh
Driver

I can confirm it as I did it when on the track with one (350 F-Sport RWD) at a Lexus event. I just don't remember specifically how I disabled it.
Old 11-20-13, 03:28 PM
Rexasaurus
Driver School Candidate

So, after much trial and no success on this I finally found the answer I was looking for. The car unfortunately does not hold gears all the way until the rev limiter while going straight and flooring it. However, it seems like it does hold til rev limiter while cornering due to the "G-AI". I haven't tried it for myself, but I found a video of a guy reviewing it and hitting the rev limiter.

It was disappointing to me at first until found that video. Now I know I can at least autoX the beast. So in all, when you are putting it into manual mode it really isn't like a sequential gearbox, just a fancy automatic transmission that knows when it should and it shouldn't hold gears.
Old 11-20-13, 04:40 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rexasaurus
Really? I just try to do it today in 1st and it automatically up shifted into 2nd while in "M". I'll try it again when I leave work.
I don't think you can do that in the first gear.

According to this article its states:

The ability of the transmission to respond only to your commands yields a manual mode that is true to its name. It shifts only when you ask it to, and not when it thinks it should.
http://pressroom.lexus.com/article_p...rticle_id=1519
Old 11-20-13, 05:29 PM
alexlude
Lead Lap

I hit rev limiter in straightaway while on the freeway during test drive. Gunned it hard. (That's why I don't purchase demo test cars). Probably from 3->4. It bounced twice before I upshifted with the paddles
Old 11-20-13, 10:44 PM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My GS and IS both will hold redline for a few seconds before upshifting. I have only done it when winding out the engine on the highway so i am not sure if it does the same in first.
Old 11-20-13, 11:07 PM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SonyHome
I don't think you can do that in the first gear.

According to this article its states:

http://pressroom.lexus.com/article_p...rticle_id=1519
I don't think Lockup Clutch has anything to do with the transmission mapping allowing us to hold redline.
Old 11-21-13, 06:05 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

I guess at Lexus it's

Reliability>>>>>>Bouncing off the limiter

Quick Reply: Rev Limit and Automatic Shifting