IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Consumer Report IS250 Smackdown!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-13, 05:42 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Consumer Report IS250 Smackdown!

Looks like there is another magazine with distaste for the IS. At least he 250 variant. But the IS is not alone. It is joined by the Q.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...ports/3146525/
Old 10-22-13, 08:04 AM
JGard18
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kind of sad because they tested arguably the worst possible IS available if you're looking for "fun". But whatever, I don't care, I'm VERY happy with my IS350 F Sport and when it came down to this, the Q50 or the 330i, I wouldn't have chosen differently because a magazine said so.
Old 10-22-13, 08:14 AM
Redcastle
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know what to think of Consumer Reports. Reminds me of when they panned the iPhone. Makes me wonder if they make these controversial evals in part because of the publicity and attention it provides them.
Old 10-22-13, 08:18 AM
LexFather

Odd even the base IS is fun....oh well, their opinion....

When the IS wins first in multiple reviews, internet is quiet. IS bashed by Consumer Reports...watch this go viral....

Old 10-22-13, 08:21 AM
sarcoptic
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Its definitely a laugh considering the car is well loved by a lot of other reviews and in fact is even up for car of the year....so who exactly is wrong here.
Old 10-22-13, 09:41 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Well, Consumer Reports should like Camry better than IS :-)
Old 10-22-13, 10:05 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Consumer Reports is a garbage mag for stupid housewives who don't know how to use "the Google."

I would never buy or not buy something based on their "recommendations".
Old 10-22-13, 10:22 AM
IntegresS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was shocked when I saw this haha Naturally, my coworkers emailed me the link to the article this morning and told me my car sucks lol

It is indeed interesting though how this one is so much the opposite of all of the good reviews IS has been getting
Old 10-22-13, 10:28 AM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

CR reviews washing machines and underwear for pete's sake... I wouldn't give much attention to CR in car reviews. I trust JD Powers more than CR

I rather see Car Mag reviews who are in the industry. Car & Driver and other car mag's loved the IS350...

Forbes also gave the IS350 great reviews.

Not much difference between 250 and 350 except HP
Old 10-22-13, 11:06 AM
FusterCluk
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll trust the experts at C&D and R&T before I trust the Walmart of review magazines. Pick the cheapest, heaviest version and then ***** that it's cheap and heavy, yeah no thanks.
Old 10-22-13, 11:34 AM
enoren
Pole Position

Let's all be honest... if Consumer Reports had made a glowing review of the 2014 IS, we'd all be crowing about how everyone agrees our cars are awesome. They didn't, so now everyone is saying the source doesn't matter. Enjoy your car for what it is, not what someone says it is.
Old 10-22-13, 11:40 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

This is very shocking. There is no good reason for the IS not to be recommended. What is happening with CR is they are increasingly not recommending cars because one or two minor things are not to their liking. A rough example would be the Civic, which is a fine car by all means, minus the dip in interior materials and handling. Not deal-breakers to most people, and nothing that makes the car bad. To not recommended it simply because it is less than the previous model is simply illogical. It's still a good car that reaches solid levels. Same with the new IS. It may have not met their personal criteria in certain spots, but that's no reason to not recommend an entire car. It's like scolding a student for getting a "B" on a test instead of an "A." Should that student not be allowed to go to college now because of that B? Crazy thinking.

This strange thinking on their behalf has me rethinking my entire trust in CR. Their logic and points of importance have shifted since that Civic test and it's spreading and getting worse. All these not recommended cars are fine autos with excellent reliability. There's no good reason to pass such judgement. It's a disservice to the public.

Last edited by Fizzboy7; 10-22-13 at 02:20 PM.
Old 10-22-13, 12:29 PM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by enoren
Let's all be honest... if Consumer Reports had made a glowing review of the 2014 IS, we'd all be crowing about how everyone agrees our cars are awesome. They didn't, so now everyone is saying the source doesn't matter. Enjoy your car for what it is, not what someone says it is.
Words to live by, Lloyd!
Old 10-22-13, 12:45 PM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

For what it's worth, I read the original note via my CR online subscription. Their comments were from their "first drive" (not quite the same level of evaluation as car mags first drives by the way). They are in the process of evaluating and reviewing the 3IS now. It was unclear from the article which 3IS variants were to be selected for in depth inspection.
Old 10-22-13, 01:44 PM
UncleSpud
Pole Position

Previous picks by CR: '06 STI (CR claimed a tolerable ride with blistering performance). The car rode slightly worse than a Conestoga wagon and the only blister was to one's backside for sitting in the car. I drove mine cross-country and the only way I could tolerate the ride was by using Aleve liberally.

Another CR pick: 2013 Honda Accord V6 sedan (I traded mine for the IS 350 F Sport). The V6 Accord had the worst steering of any car I've owned in nearly 49 years of driving.

Another CR pick: the 2012+ 328i. Really? Awful steering, totally numb, not just my opinion either (plenty of reviews to support my claim). Steering on the Lexus is exponentially better, as is the steering on my '13 Mustang GT (both with EPS).

I wouldn't get too wound up over CR's negativity.

Quick Reply: Consumer Report IS250 Smackdown!