IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Where is the manual transmission option?

Old 10-20-13, 06:05 PM
Theride
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where is the manual transmission option?

what happen?

Im doing some research into cars and like the looks of the new IS, but no manual gearbox?

No one likes manual in lexus?
Old 10-20-13, 06:07 PM
unixadm
Pit Crew

Received 102 Likes on 31 Posts

Give BMW a call if you want a manual, they still believe in it.

The 8 speed auto in this car isn't bad, but if you enjoy driving a manual there really isn't a good replacement.
Old 10-20-13, 06:15 PM
Theride
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by unixadm
Give BMW a call if you want a manual, they still believe in it.

The 8 speed auto in this car isn't bad, but if you enjoy driving a manual there really isn't a good replacement.
I think the styling of this car is begging for a manual transmission. I know BMW and Audi still makes them, but this lexus IS begging for one. I dont like automatics too much because they are prone to fail if you own the car out of warranty.

Does lexus plan on making a manual transmission for the IS in the near future?
Old 10-20-13, 06:29 PM
vbx
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Theride
I think the styling of this car is begging for a manual transmission. I know BMW and Audi still makes them, but this lexus IS begging for one. I dont like automatics too much because they are prone to fail if you own the car out of warranty.

Does lexus plan on making a manual transmission for the IS in the near future?
This car would be a lot more fun if it was manual. The bltch paddle is lame.
Old 10-20-13, 06:31 PM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Automatic prone to fail? And a clutch isn't? Over time, anything is prone to fail. Manual transmissions have fallen out of favor in the US. I don't even know if the Lexus is offered outside of the US with a manual. Plenty of owners on here from outside the US. Let's see what they say.
Old 10-20-13, 06:39 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

i used to be a big fan of manual transmissions, but to be honest I've grown pretty tired of them. todays automatics are so much smoother and easy to drive. i could really care less to own another manual.
dont get me wrong, i can drive a manual just as good if not better then most, maybe i am getting lazy? but i find the quality and reliability of todays auto transmissions to be more than reliable.
for the posters comment about failure, i bought a 1993 honda accord for my daughter to drive that had 200k on it when i bought it. and i sold it with 250k to a client of mine for his teenage son to drive and last i checked its still going strong.
i know for a fact its rare to get more than 100k miles out of a clutch no matter how good of a driver you might be. my friend got almost 200k out of his 93 honda civic but he lives in texas where the roads go for miles and miles. not surprising he got that kind of wear out of the OE clutch.
like any car it really depends on how you drive it. if you drive stop and go traffic all the time or if you do full throttle launches all the time any transmission will wear more quickly!
Old 10-20-13, 07:05 PM
Theride
Driver School Candidate

how much to replace a clutch vs how much to replace a automatic transmission out of warranty?

In my case, i have owned 2 1992 honda accord. one was manual and the other was auto and guess which one gave me more issues? i have owned a 97 acura cl and guess what was happening to the auto? i currently own two automatic cars, one x5 4.8is and a subaru legacy, and im having issues with the x5 transmission. both cars have less than 65k miles. the subaru transmission is very smooth at this point.

Now im not bashing automatics. I too enjoy a lazy ride at times. But i think having an IS with a manual tranny would be an awesome car.

I also notice that many new buyers lease cars so i dont expect that to be a concern of many since they'll return the car before any failure.........and no im not saying it WILL fail. I am saying if I purchase a car and its out of warranty and it were to fail, thats cash fi fix.
Old 10-20-13, 07:11 PM
enoren
Pole Position

Well, you won't find a Lexus IS with a manual transmission. You can use the paddle shifters if you want some resemblance to manual, but automatic is where it's at. If you're not willing to buy automatic, the IS isn't your car.
Old 10-20-13, 08:08 PM
vbx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by moose66
Automatic prone to fail? And a clutch isn't? Over time, anything is prone to fail. Manual transmissions have fallen out of favor in the US. I don't even know if the Lexus is offered outside of the US with a manual. Plenty of owners on here from outside the US. Let's see what they say.
Well, Americans are Lazy. And a lot of them don't know how to drive manuals. It's a lost art.

You will have a lot of people saying yeah they can drive a manual online. But out in the real world, about 2 out of 10 knows how to drive a manual.
Old 10-20-13, 08:23 PM
alexlude
Lead Lap

I've been driving a 5spd manual last 15 years. Maybe I'm older now but too lazy to drive a manual in traffic.. And with smart autos lately with smooth rev matching, I'll take a great auto over manual.

Look at the GTR.. No manual there..
Old 10-20-13, 08:34 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts

1) Very low take rate, so it's not a good business case.
2) Current crop of automatics are very quick and responsive, often giving a car better 0-60 times.
3) Most automatics offer manual shifting either down low or up on the wheel.
4) America is too busy texting, talking on phone, and spilling Starbucks to worry about shifting.
5) More traffic than ever, means a PIA.
6) Most of today's automatics get better mileage than sticks. So meeting CAFE standards is coming into play.
Old 10-20-13, 08:57 PM
vbx
Lead Lap

okay, let's not turn this into a debate. It's about options. A lot prefer the autos but there are still some enthusiast who prefer to drive manuals.

Lexus should make manuals an option. Maybe make is available under a "special order".
Old 10-20-13, 09:10 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Virtually no one wants a manual anymore. Although Lexus should switch to DSG in sport models (that would be a huge differentiator). I drive my 12C in full-auto, track mode 95% of the time, but use A+M for pretty much every downshift.
Old 10-20-13, 09:25 PM
enoren
Pole Position

Americans are lazy? Nice.

If there were a market for manual transmissions, Lexus would make them. It's not even an American thing. As multiple other threads have pointed out, Lexus has multiple configurations worldwide, and the U.S. market doesn't get a lot of options that other countries get.

VBX, show us the demand in Canada or Europe or Japan for manual transmissions. Instead of claiming that a Japanese car company doesn't make manual transmissions because Americans are lazy, I'd lean toward a simpler explanation: they're not profitable to produce, most Lexus buyers don't want them, and the automatic transmission with paddle shifters meets the needs of the majority.
Old 10-20-13, 10:07 PM
vbx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by enoren
Americans are lazy? Nice.

If there were a market for manual transmissions, Lexus would make them. It's not even an American thing. As multiple other threads have pointed out, Lexus has multiple configurations worldwide, and the U.S. market doesn't get a lot of options that other countries get.

VBX, show us the demand in Canada or Europe or Japan for manual transmissions. Instead of claiming that a Japanese car company doesn't make manual transmissions because Americans are lazy, I'd lean toward a simpler explanation: they're not profitable to produce, most Lexus buyers don't want them, and the automatic transmission with paddle shifters meets the needs of the majority.
LOL, Americans visiting Europe, having trouble driving a manual.

LOL, "France doesn't have automatics".

Last edited by vbx; 10-20-13 at 10:12 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Where is the manual transmission option?