IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Best Thing You Like About Your 3IS

Old 10-18-13, 11:07 AM
datou
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Thing You Like About Your 3IS

Besides being a die hard Lexus/3IS fan. What attracted you to get your 3IS? LFA gauges? DTR lights? 8-Speed Transmission (F-Sport)? Rims? etc.
Old 10-18-13, 11:12 AM
Mr_VFS1
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The main reason I picked the 3IS was because of its competitors. The BMW 328/335, Audi A4, Cadillac ATS, and even the Q50. I particularly enjoyed the overall appearance of the Lexus than its competitors. Although the 335 and A4 are turbo, I still prefer my IS over it. The technology in the Lexus is far superior to the others. I especially like the LFA Gauge in the F-Sport model. Made my decision final with that.
Old 10-18-13, 11:24 AM
vbx
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I pick the fsport over the q50 only because we can recirculate the cabin air without turning the ac on.

The q50 has better technology and a better navigation interface. But whats the point if ur forced to turn on the ac or breathe in smelly fumes from american cars in front or big azz trucks on the side of u with their mufflers pointed directly at u.
Old 10-18-13, 11:31 AM
Mr_VFS1
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vbx
I pick the fsport over the q50 only because we can recirculate the cabin air without turning the ac on.

The q50 has better technology and a better navigation interface. But whats the point if ur forced to turn on the ac or breathe in smelly fumes from american cars in front or big azz trucks on the side of u with their mufflers pointed directly at u.
The big azz truck made me laugh
Old 10-18-13, 11:33 AM
fastdak25
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was looking at the BMW 335 and Caddy CTS coupe. When it comes to BMW, to me anyway, they all look the same. I can tell a 3 series from a 5 series, but not a 328 from a 335 unless I see the number or it's not moving and can see the wheels. Also wanted 335 but was a bit out of my price range, plus they're more expensive to maintain.

Have seen ATS commercials spamming TV for months now, have yet to see a single one on the road unless I passed one head to head and didn't know it since they look identical to the CTS. CTS coupes are nice, but were just lacking in power and don't hold their value nearly as well.

Saw the commercial for the 3IS and instantly fell in love with the looks. Two weeks later went and looked at one. Loved the features and the interior, wonder driving experience. Like the ATS, it's new and none on the road, but unlike the ATS this car stood out. Had it for 2 months, still turning heads, people asking questions, waving on the road, etc. This car get's noticed. Do people really notice caddies and BMW 3series? I don't think so.
Old 10-18-13, 11:39 AM
Tone2002
Rookie

I wanted a small luxury sport sedan. The other features for the F Sport were an added bonus.
Old 10-18-13, 11:46 AM
js1011
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I overall like the body style of the IS, the lines, and front grill - first.

I also like the gauge, and I like how the interface changes between modes. I also like how you can split screen the gauge (if you will).

BSM is insanely cool, and it is a super safe feature. Even though the BSM feature is not limited to Lexus, I still really like it. If you could only afford one - in my opinion BSM > VGRS.

I also like the power of the IS350. When you think your car is going to stop climbing on the highway (for example) - it keeps going and going. We truly have fun on highways!

Our choices prior to buying the IS350 were BMW, Cadillac, and Infiniti. We saw great comparison videos online between the 4 makers, and was sold on Lexus. We skipped Audi, because we didn't like the body style of the A6 or S6. They seem plumpy with not too appealing lines. I do like Audi's LED technology though!

Datou - Nice topic of choice, BTW!

Last edited by js1011; 10-18-13 at 11:53 AM.
Old 10-18-13, 11:50 AM
carderoni
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I test drove the E90 and F30 BMW 335i's in M-Sport Trim and the B8 Audi A4 and S4. For me, it was several things:
  • The handling and overall composure of the 350 F-Sport. Only the E90 rivaled it in terms of a top notch combination of damping, body roll, and overall suspension behavior.
  • Having owned NA and FI engines in the past, I've always preferred the linear power progression of NA motors. The torque the German engines produce at low RPM's is pretty exciting, but they are also more complicated and a bit higher maintenance as the miles add up (as FI engines tend to be, especially turbos).
  • The interior design and layout is much more modern and, at least for the driver, ergonomic in the new IS.
  • More car for the money. The BMW and Audi, with similar options, run about $8-10K higher than the Lexus and I don't feel they are worth that premium. The only thing they definitely have over the new IS is straight line acceleration.
  • Reliability. With either of the German cars I would have made damn sure to be out of them before the factory warranty ran up. And without the BMW's free scheduled maintenance I would have never seriously considered it.
  • Styling and commonality. 3 series and A4/S4's are everywhere and blend in like an Accord or Camry around here. The new IS is clearly more daring in its styling - more polarizing, too - but also more unique. People don't look at one and think it's just any other car, which has been confirmed by the reactions of random strangers and even my grade school nephews.

Last edited by carderoni; 10-18-13 at 11:54 AM.
Old 10-18-13, 11:53 AM
MrBlonde
Driver School Candidate

The LFA gauge just makes every other car in this class look sorta old and outdated in comparison! Plus the interior build quality is imo beyond what BMW and Audi can do...have not felt as comfy in neither A4 nor 3-series (which were the competition to me).
Old 10-18-13, 11:54 AM
cpham4
Driver School Candidate

For me it came down between the CLA vs IS-F.

I waited and waited until October when the CLA came out so I could see it in real life. I saw it and I wanted to throw up. It's okay in picture, but uglier in person.

Overall I love everything about the IS-F, from the grill to the back lights to interior design.

I actually hesitated at first because my brother has a 2nd generation IS so I didn't want to copy him. When I started comparing the two generations some more, I realized the only thing that looks similar is from the side. Everything else is pretty much new and different.
Old 10-18-13, 11:54 AM
georgeowls
Driver School Candidate

As someone who's waiting on their special order, this thread is pure torture but glad to see so many people enoying the 3IS.
Old 10-18-13, 11:59 AM
sloosh
Driver

Was looking for a new car after 13 years of driving the same POS Dodge Stratus Coupe. It was reliable for 12 years with few issues, but the last year was bad. I went and test drove a BRZ as I wanted a sporty car with a manual transmission and a DBS was well above my pay grade. I honestly was not that impressed by the power or interior. I was also looking at a S4/5 as well as a 335i, but I was weary of German reliability. I went with my brother-in-law to look at the new IS - we test drove a 250 F-Sport and I loved the features, looks, and handling. So I went ahead and put in a special order for the 350 F-Sport RWD...ended up just going to a different dealership as they had the car almost 3 or 4 weeks before my SO arrived. The thing I love the most...****, that it doesn't shake when I go above 45
Old 10-18-13, 12:05 PM
vbx
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cpham4
For me it came down between the CLA vs IS-F.

I waited and waited until October when the CLA came out so I could see it in real life. I saw it and I wanted to throw up. It's okay in picture, but uglier in person.

Overall I love everything about the IS-F, from the grill to the back lights to interior design.

I actually hesitated at first because my brother has a 2nd generation IS so I didn't want to copy him. When I started comparing the two generations some more, I realized the only thing that looks similar is from the side. Everything else is pretty much new and different.
By IS-F you actually mean F-Sport right?
Old 10-18-13, 12:28 PM
WhiteISWay
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

The look and feel from the cockpit of a Fsport. (So, the gauge, seat, arm rest, air vents/ analog clock, buttons for seat warmers and mirrors (they have a soft feel to them) and dash design)

I initially test drove a non F sport and did the seats felt too big too me. I felt at home as soon as I sat in.
Old 10-18-13, 12:43 PM
FusterCluk
Driver

It just felt like a more driver-centric car to me. The interior is top-notch, ML is outstanding, and the seats were the best I've sat in a very long time. The fact that it looks so aggressive and like nothing else on the road sealed the deal for me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best Thing You Like About Your 3IS