IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3IS Battery Drain (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-14, 11:26 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by flytldr

Have you had any other issues with your car?
How many miles on it?
Garage parked, or outside?
Is this the first time?
Any aftermarket accesories installed?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm trying to trace down this elusive bug in our cars.
It's happened to me as well. And from what I read, it's happened 2 and 3 times to some guys.
So any furter info you have would really help me out!

Thx!
3148 miles, 4 1/2 months. Car is garage parked. I have not had any other issues with it. It is the first time it has happened. The car has RSR down springs and window tint. Everything else is stock. I am a little pissed at Lexus for telling me I should have just called roadside assistance from the car. I told them that was tough to do with a dead battery and no power to anything.

Originally Posted by dasbuch
1994 cars had simpler technology. With an increase in technology features comes increase in opportunity for error.

Try removing Bluetooth from your life and see how you make out. It's a battery draining hog.
You're right about the tech stuff. I told Lexus if a third person tells me to call roadside from the car, they should be prepared to just come get the ****ing car and keep it. I don't use much bluetooth, but maybe it is a culprit. Still, the '94 has it by way of aftermarket and didn't have these issues.

Last edited by link13; 08-18-14 at 04:00 PM.
Old 08-18-14, 02:35 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Longo just picked the car up and left me a loaner. We'll see what they say.
Old 08-18-14, 03:42 PM
spiridons
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same here, battery dead after 2 months of ownership

Car had not been driven for 2 days..

Road car assistance came and boosted my battery

Took it to dealership and they asked me how long the car was not driven.... I responded who cares.
Should not happen. I have an old jetta..car was not driven for 1 month, never had an issue

Finally they recharged the battery..said that i might had left a light inside the car..I did not...
However i use bluetooth allot...I have just disabled bluetooth...but even that, they should fix bluetooth issue if drains battery.

Thanks,
Old 08-18-14, 04:52 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spiridons
Same here, battery dead after 2 months of ownership

Car had not been driven for 2 days..

Road car assistance came and boosted my battery

Took it to dealership and they asked me how long the car was not driven.... I responded who cares.
Should not happen. I have an old jetta..car was not driven for 1 month, never had an issue

Finally they recharged the battery..said that i might had left a light inside the car..I did not...
However i use bluetooth allot...I have just disabled bluetooth...but even that, they should fix bluetooth issue if drains battery.

Thanks,
They called me this morning and said they would send a tech from South County Lexus and then called me to say that a local tech would not be coming. They sent AAA instead and the guy Robert was pretty good. He load tested the battery and it was low and on the border of failure. Finally, at 2:15, a flatbed showed up, took my car to El Monte, and left me with a loaner. The loaner is kind of beat. I hope they resolve the issue. I suspect they'll just put a new battery in it and refuse to acknowledge that these cars have a battery drain issue. Then, in 4 more months, they'll put another new battery in it. I like the car a lot, but if they play the see no evil game for too long, my next car probably will not be another IS.
Old 08-19-14, 08:30 AM
link13
Lead Lap

I will say that dealing with Lexus corporate was frustrating and I was annoyed that it took 9 phone calls to get started on solving the problem. However, I will say that exactly two phone calls were with Longo Lexus and I should have just called them to begin with. They told me they would come get the car and leave me a free loaner. They did that. I called the service adviser because I happened to be leaving work and he called me back immediately. He is on this and I really appreciated the conversation we had about the issue. He is going to be thorough and they're going to do testing rather than simply replacing the battery and hoping for the best.

Over the years, I have known some great people who work or worked at Longo including Liz (RIP 007, miss you), Verone, Ted, and the guy I bought my car from, Sergio. It is not a mere accident or coincidence that very high quality people are associated with this dealership. After the frustration with corporate, I am happy that Longo stepped in and took ownership of this situation.
Old 08-23-14, 09:22 AM
Striker98
Rookie

Just happened to me for first time. Car only has 4,500kms. In other issues to date. Car was bought in April 2014.
Old 08-29-14, 10:05 AM
db991
Driver School Candidate

Hi there! New member here and just recently purchased a nebula grey is250 awd fsport. I had this within 3 weeks of owning the vehicle and it only had 800km on the engine. Had to call roadside assistance to get the car flat bed to my local Lexus dealership. The told me to leave the car overnight and said that it's the first time they heard of this issue, I then told them about this site and plenty of 3is owners that are currently experiencing the same problem. They told me it was probably just a bad battery and they more than gladly replaced my batter with the Lexus premium battery and currently having no issues with it.
Sorry for the long first post haha
Old 08-29-14, 10:44 AM
v33k
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

It seems to me that there are more Canadian(including myself) are having this issue?

Dealership replaced my battery and so far, no further battery issue.

But also, my car has been driven every single day since then.
Old 08-29-14, 01:57 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Striker98
Just happened to me for first time. Car only has 4,500kms. In other issues to date. Car was bought in April 2014.
I bought mine in April 2014 also and it had 3200 miles at the time. No further issues, but this happened last week on Monday and I have driven the car most days since then. It sat for 2 days last weekend.

Originally Posted by db991
Hi there! New member here and just recently purchased a nebula grey is250 awd fsport. I had this within 3 weeks of owning the vehicle and it only had 800km on the engine. Had to call roadside assistance to get the car flat bed to my local Lexus dealership. The told me to leave the car overnight and said that it's the first time they heard of this issue, I then told them about this site and plenty of 3is owners that are currently experiencing the same problem. They told me it was probably just a bad battery and they more than gladly replaced my batter with the Lexus premium battery and currently having no issues with it.
Sorry for the long first post haha
3 different people at corporate told me I should have just called roadside assistance from inside the car. Not easy to do when the battery is dead. Sigh.
Old 08-29-14, 06:20 PM
db991
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by link13
I bought mine in April 2014 also and it had 3200 miles at the time. No further issues, but this happened last week on Monday and I have driven the car most days since then. It sat for 2 days last weekend.

3 different people at corporate told me I should have just called roadside assistance from inside the car. Not easy to do when the battery is dead. Sigh.
Haha ya I feel that they can't quite grasp the idea of a new car being completely dead. The roadside assistance technician that came to pick my car up mentioned to me that my car was like 5th new 3is he had to either boost or pick up this month. Makes me feel uneasy that this problem isn't a bad batch of battery like I was told by the dealership
Old 08-29-14, 08:46 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

^^^ That would all depend on how many batches of bad batteries did Panasonic make..??

Are they still making them...???

Is it really the batteries failing..!!??

Joe Z
Old 09-04-14, 12:23 PM
flytldr
Driver School Candidate

This is question for the guys that have had MORE THAN ONE incidents of a dead battery.

What is the version of your audio system firmware?
ie: V10B8710
Old 09-14-14, 06:32 PM
evilspirit
Driver School Candidate

Hello! I'm Max, from Russia!

I am sorry for bad english

Lexus is 250 Fsport, Date of purchase in July 2014 in Moscow. Mileage 3900 kilometers. Many times left the car for 2-3 days in the parking lot, there were no problems.

Left the car on Friday afternoon, on Sunday the car is not opened. Measured the voltage of the battery, instead of 12 volts only 4.1 !!! (((

I'll call the Lexus to ask for help, but if the United States they do not recognize the problem, I think the situation in Russia will not be better, these cars have a lot less.

I'm wondering, the problem due to a defective battery or a problem in the car? If I change the battery, it will solve the problem? I'm afraid that if I go away from home and I sit the battery I will face big problems: D

Last edited by evilspirit; 09-14-14 at 06:34 PM. Reason: photo
Old 09-14-14, 08:41 PM
Trish67
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by evilspirit
Hello! I'm Max, from Russia!

I am sorry for bad english

I guarantee your English is way better than anyone's Russian on this forum!

In sorry to hear about the battery issue. I haven't encountered the problem yet. Good luck and please let us know how it turns out.
Old 09-14-14, 11:56 PM
kmanpete24
Rookie

I leave my car many times for more than 4 days and haven't experience battery drain.

Quick Reply: 3IS Battery Drain (merged threads)