3IS Battery Drain (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-14, 11:38 AM
dasbuch
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
audi has done it or so i've heard.

edit: yep, audi has done way more than lexus has - http://www.audihelp.com/auda-106-power_management.html
Because it's on Audi's marketing propaganda doesn't mean I would necessarily trust it. I've seen Audi's that were less than a year old that had non-functional LEDs around the headlights, and LED bulbs are something that should last a really long time and should be hard to screw up. I'd rather they figure out how to make a light bulb reliable before I trust them with the more advanced stuff.

Last edited by dasbuch; 08-02-14 at 11:43 AM.
Old 08-02-14, 12:21 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by dasbuch
Because it's on Audi's marketing propaganda doesn't mean I would necessarily trust it. I've seen Audi's that were less than a year old that had non-functional LEDs around the headlights, and LED bulbs are something that should last a really long time and should be hard to screw up. I'd rather they figure out how to make a light bulb reliable before I trust them with the more advanced stuff.
uhhh, okay...

and the above comes from the a4's owner's manual, not, rather, a marketing attempt aimed at those perhaps in the market for an audi.
Old 08-02-14, 12:54 PM
dasbuch
Driver

Originally Posted by davyjordi
uhhh, okay...

and the above comes from the a4's owner's manual, not, rather, a marketing attempt aimed at those perhaps in the market for an audi.
Fair enough on the source of that particular info, I'm just saying Audi and the other German makes have a tendency to prioritize the quantity of their technology features and the innovativeness of them over reliability of the features themselves. I only want new technology if it works reliably, which Japanese brands are notoriously better at accomplishing.

Even in the link you posted, Audi is relinquishing responsibility for "physical limitations" of batteries (i.e. in effect saying "sorry folks but it may drain out anyway") which does not inspire confidence IMO.
Old 08-02-14, 01:23 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Fair enough on the source of that particular info, I'm just saying Audi and the other German makes have a tendency to prioritize the quantity of their technology features and the innovativeness of them over reliability of the features themselves. I only want new technology if it works reliably, which Japanese brands are notoriously better at accomplishing.

Even in the link you posted, Audi is relinquishing responsibility for "physical limitations" of batteries (i.e. in effect saying "sorry folks but it may drain out anyway") which does not inspire confidence IMO.
if my car were equipped with audi's battery preservation features i'd feel a lot more confident given that my 3IS hasn't started three times in the past four months of ownership.

that aside, on audi's disclaimer, i don't think that anyone has held the notion that just because audi has infused a number of preservation / anti-draining technological advantages that audi has also created a battery incapable of being drained.

and lastly, i've had my fair share of electronic problems with lexus but have stuck with marque because i'm a loyalist, i suppose. my 2IS's navigation system had to be replaced twice, the center console had to be replaced once as the entire lighting system within failed, and both the driver's window and moonroof stopped working. oh, lexus. those problems are trivial compared to the engine and transmission problems i had with the car. yet here i am with another lexus hoping this one will live up to the reliability reputation that the brand prides itself on although the electrical problems experienced thus far with the car aren't encouraging.
Old 08-02-14, 01:54 PM
dasbuch
Driver

In terms of reliability, I really was speaking about brand reliability overall, as measured by companies that specialize in doing that, rather than comparing individual anecdotal experiences. I personally have had good luck with BMW, but overall as a brand their reliability track record is not equal to Lexus, that's what I meant, so I'm not one to become biased via my own personal experiences.

Anyway, my point wasn't really to split hairs over whether Audi is reliable or rushing features to market. My point was that regardless of car brand, it seems like batteries themselves (for any brand) could be designed such that they don't just stupidly drain out. Like perhaps a sensor and electronically controlled resistor that disallows the battery capacity to discharge beyond the amount required to start the car. I should also mention that I'm an engineer but not of the electrical variety, so perhaps someone could explain why this is in ways that I would not be able to debate.

In that case, my point would still stand, regardless of the reasons why it does not exist, it is remarkable that we have all these other capabilities but cannot design a battery that is smart enough to not allow itself to bleed to death. I'm looking more at battery technology than at car makers on this one.
Old 08-02-14, 02:03 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

In terms of reliability, I really was speaking about brand reliability overall, as measured by companies that specialize in doing that, rather than comparing individual anecdotal experiences. I personally have had good luck with BMW, but overall as a brand their reliability track record is not equal to Lexus, that's what I meant, so I'm not one to become biased via my own personal experiences.

Anyway, my point wasn't really to split hairs over whether Audi is reliable or rushing features to market. My point was that regardless of car brand, it seems like batteries themselves (for any brand) could be designed such that they don't just stupidly drain out. Like perhaps a sensor and electronically controlled resistor that disallows the battery capacity to discharge beyond the amount required to start the car. I should also mention that I'm an engineer but not of the electrical variety, so perhaps someone could explain why this is in ways that I would not be able to debate.

In that case, my point would still stand, regardless of the reasons why it does not exist, it is remarkable that we have all these other capabilities but cannot design a battery that is smart enough to not allow itself to bleed to death. I'm looking more at battery technology than at car makers on this one.
gotcha. thanks for the clarification.
Old 08-04-14, 08:35 PM
wongnee
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

I don't understand why you guys don't go LEMON,
if we have the same rights here we would have done it for a long long time.

They keep saying "we have never seen this happened before" <--- THIS IS A HUGE LIE!
Old 08-04-14, 08:37 PM
wongnee
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by FinaLpeace
We should all start the lemon. Pretty sure if we all start the lemon, then Lexus would be too worry to not be aware of this problem. Lemon Lemon Lemon!
JUST DO IT!!
Old 08-05-14, 10:32 AM
Lost808
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, went to start my wife's 250 this morning and the lights went crazy and heard a pop/static sound and no start. Now, nothing works or lights up and no starter clicking. The car is daily driven, 7 months since purchase, and 4k miles. Zero mods, headlights on auto and interior lights kept permanent off (don't like being illuminated at night). So, nothing left on drained the battery. Waiting for Lexus roadside now and my consultant is waiting for it to come in. Ahhhhh, the beauty of new technology.....
Old 08-08-14, 04:13 PM
Belex1
Driver School Candidate

Well just left my 2014 is 350 non FSport in the garage for 16 days straight while on vacation and it started right up on first try just like I never left. Car is 6 months old with 2,200 miles on it. Seems there is no rhyme or reason for when the battery drain happens to this car but so far so good with mine. I have left it twice now, once for the 16 day vacation and once for an 8 day vacation. It started fine after both.
Old 08-08-14, 09:54 PM
Lost808
Pole Position

Got my car back the next day after the dealership held it to see if it would start the next day. It did not start, so they decided to do a load test on the battery and it was below 11 volts. The battery crapped out, so they replaced it with a new one. It wasn't caused by sitting on the boat/lot before me getting it, as it was built only 2 months before I got it. So, the dealer said it must have been a battery from a bad batch. My consultant actually said that he has been seeing quite a few new cars coming in for dead batteries, and they were from all models, not just the IS.
Old 08-08-14, 10:51 PM
ckrjack
Driver School Candidate

Hello. I'm reading all posts about the battery. I was going to buy a IS today... wonder if I should. I have an Acura TL and had the same problem. Replaced battery starting at 17k miles - and to date, at least four times... It wasn't the battery. Acura wouldn't tell me but it's posted online that it was the Bluetooth hookup. I unhooked mine and no more battery problems. Acura wouldn't admit it. Takes 10 minutes to unhook. Pretty sad when you buy a decent car and you get stuck.....don't want to worry about that - that's major.
Old 08-08-14, 11:00 PM
ckrjack
Driver School Candidate

I was going to buy the IS today... after reading about battery problems - I'm rethinking it. I have an Acura and battery died at least six times. Did research myself. Battery dying is a symptom of the problem and not the cause itself. I researched my problem and it was the Bluetooth hookup. I unhooked it myself. You can Google how to do that. No special tools. No more problem. Dealer would never admit it...they wanted me to bring my car in to diagnosis it for $$$.
Old 08-09-14, 09:23 AM
chalun823
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just happened to me today also. Is250 in Hong Kong. Car was not driven for four days and battery was dead to the point where the security led didn't blink.
Old 08-11-14, 09:52 AM
flytldr
Driver School Candidate

Default I'm officially in the 'dead battery club'

Went out this morning, and whammo! Absolutely D E A D!
I mean to the point of no little red security light flashing. The car sat for exactly 24 hours since the 30 KM drive the day before. And no, I left nothing on inside, because once I boosted it, I checked everything.
I'm a Tech at our local Lexus dealer, and I've had 2 other 3IS's come in with the same issue. (and heard of several more)
The first one, we replaced the battery, and he hasn't had a recurrence.
The second one, we found a battery draw with the Certification ECU (the smart key ecu) It wasn't going to sleep, resulting in a 140mA draw after 10 mins, and would stay at that level, never dropping to a comforting and non-battery killing parasitic draw of 15-30mA.

Now, MY car has been affected, and I have no choice but to resolve this.
I specialize in electrical issues, and parasitic draws, so this is right up my alley. I just never thought I'd be diag'n my own ride!!
Anyways, I'm starting TAS file on this issue, and will report back...hopefully with an answer

Quick Reply: 3IS Battery Drain (merged threads)