IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3IS Battery Drain (merged threads)

Old 07-18-14, 05:25 PM
mark168
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by davyjordi
i was just given that speech.
Hahaha. And i thought it was only in Manila that they use that speech.

I have a question to you guys. Here in Manila, Lexus is still under Toyota Motor Philippines. So what ever issues you have with your Lexus will still go thru TMP. Problem is that even if you own a luxury brand, you are treated like owning a cheap Toyota Vios when you have to deal with TMP. is it also the same in other countries?
Old 07-18-14, 06:05 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by mark168
Hahaha. And i thought it was only in Manila that they use that speech.

I have a question to you guys. Here in Manila, Lexus is still under Toyota Motor Philippines. So what ever issues you have with your Lexus will still go thru TMP. Problem is that even if you own a luxury brand, you are treated like owning a cheap Toyota Vios when you have to deal with TMP. is it also the same in other countries?
in both spain and the united states toyota and lexus are separate entities with their respective vehicles sold by separate dealerships, lexus offering a much more refined experience, comparatively. lexus in both the EU and the US treats its patrons rather well and in alignment with other competitive luxury marques or so has been the experience that my family and i have had.
Old 07-18-14, 06:16 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FinaLpeace
From this issue, you're the first one I saw that had a professional to write what they inspected at the time of arrival. It would be interesting to see how the dealer would respond to this. Try to not let them tell you that everything is fine and just swap out the battery because from the link above we had stories from other members doing the same thing which didn't solve the problem. This is not an easy problem to fix, so the dealers would probably try to go the easy way.
I was given a print-out of a variety of tests that lexus roadside assistance conducted. i brought that with me to the dealership and it was "placed into the vehicle's record."
Old 07-18-14, 07:11 PM
CptnCutler
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by doctorttt
Yes, I won't let the dealer to brush me away with saying that they will swap out the battery. I will bring this note written by the AAA tech and show to Lexus. In addition, I will print out the other thread related to the battery issue that a number of members here are experiencing. My car is only 11 months old, and I'm very fed up.
I had this same problem happen to me with my 6 month old car...The roadside assistance came and told me I needed a new battery, and of course they performed the swap. There must be some defect and I even have video of my car freaking out. (lights flickering, making really weird noises.)
Old 07-18-14, 07:31 PM
Need4Speed
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

I would be interested to know what the dealership does to correct this
Old 07-26-14, 03:27 AM
mishy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Need4Speed
I would be interested to know what the dealership does to correct this
I got a really nice jumpstart battery pack from my dealership. So very thoughtful of them. :-/
Old 07-28-14, 07:47 AM
Nikkixoxo
Driver School Candidate

Default 4th time it didn't start

Hi I bought my 2014 is 250 f sport a year ago July 20 2013 since then it has not started FOUR times 2 times it was completely dead they said we must have left something on or someone tried to steal it it sits in my garage so that was not the case the other 2 it was flickering and making weird noises it scared me! I have a video as we'll i wish I could upload it 3rd time they replaced the battery Mind you i was pregnant and had to worry about if my car would start while going into labor 4th time I finally involved the manager he kept it for 4 days today I will see what they came up with I called customer service & started a case and also am waiting to here back from them I was upset because she didn't let me explain she just said a case manager will call you with a resolution on Monday that's all I can say! It's very frustrating I'm paying for a 47K dollar car & I have to worry about if it's gonna start today & I've. Been late to everywhere I go because I have to get it jump started my dealer is 30 miles away from my house They tell me they have never had the problem with anyone else my bestfriend has the same car and never had a problem I just want them to buy it back it's such an inconvenience idk if I should start the lemon law process in ca or wait till they get recalled ?
Old 07-28-14, 08:27 AM
FinaLpeace
Driver

We should all start the lemon. Pretty sure if we all start the lemon, then Lexus would be too worry to not be aware of this problem. Lemon Lemon Lemon!
Old 07-29-14, 01:03 AM
FinaLpeace
Driver

Originally Posted by Nikkixoxo
My case manager called me today I simply said I want lexus to buy it back and she said okay they will call within 2 weeks and give me an amount also my friend is a master technician at lexus and said the recall is coming out for the navigation so look out for that soon!
Which dealership is this in California?
Old 07-29-14, 01:03 PM
hades281
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikkixoxo
My case manager called me today I simply said I want lexus to buy it back and she said okay they will call within 2 weeks and give me an amount also my friend is a master technician at lexus and said the recall is coming out for the navigation so look out for that soon!
Hey Nikkixoxo! The Navigation recall that you're talking about.... Do you know if it's a software reflash, or new hardware (new navigation unit)?
Old 07-30-14, 10:44 AM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

man this sucks, i had my eye set on a '15 IS350 f sport, hopefully they remediated that for the '15 model year.
Old 07-31-14, 05:52 AM
beaudoif
Driver School Candidate

I had my battery replaced twice in a month. First time, the battery was completely drained. The dealership changed the battery without any questions. The second time, they kept the car overnight to do a battery drain check and found nothing. They reprogrammed all the systems just in case.

They told me that I probably left something on in the car. Also told me that keeping the key close to the car could drain the battery.
Old 08-02-14, 09:14 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by beaudoif
I had my battery replaced twice in a month. First time, the battery was completely drained. The dealership changed the battery without any questions. The second time, they kept the car overnight to do a battery drain check and found nothing. They reprogrammed all the systems just in case.

They told me that I probably left something on in the car. Also told me that keeping the key close to the car could drain the battery.
I can add something to this regarding the claim that keeping the key close to the car could drain the battery.

Not just for IS but even other Lexus vehicles as old as 2006 where Lexus has added the puddle light and proximity sensors to sense the car keys --- if car is left in the parking for a couple of days (I believe it's about 7-10 days -- it is in the manual), the car system would turn off this feature to preserve the battery. Hence if the car is left for some time and you come to unlock the door, it takes a few seconds for the puddle light and proximity sensors to be active again.

So in the same scenario where the car is not driven for some time and yet the key is close to the car all the time, there is not chance for this battery preservation measure to take place and hence more batter drain would occur.
Old 08-02-14, 10:10 AM
dasbuch
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's astonishing to me that we have technology to program the car to slam on the brakes if we're about to collide with someone, tell us if another car is in our blind spot and warn us not to change lanes, tell us of upcoming traffic, pinpoint our car in the event of an accident and call for help, receive tons of radio stations from satellites in space, etc....

... but we can't create a battery that knows when it's negative electron discharge is outrunning it's positive charge and disable itself for use of anything other than starting the engine?
Old 08-02-14, 11:20 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dasbuch
It's astonishing to me that we have technology to program the car to slam on the brakes if we're about to collide with someone, tell us if another car is in our blind spot and warn us not to change lanes, tell us of upcoming traffic, pinpoint our car in the event of an accident and call for help, receive tons of radio stations from satellites in space, etc....

... but we can't create a battery that knows when it's negative electron discharge is outrunning it's positive charge and disable itself for use of anything other than starting the engine?
audi has done it or so i've heard.

edit: yep, audi has done way more than lexus has - http://www.audihelp.com/auda-106-power_management.html

Last edited by davyjordi; 08-02-14 at 11:23 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3IS Battery Drain (merged threads)