IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3IS Battery Drain (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-14, 10:09 AM
dAiLL3sT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I first bought my 2008 IS 350 I had this problem right after I got my tints done. Brought the car to the dealership and they replaced the battery for me cause the battery was not recharging for what ever issue. Now with the current 2014 I have, I just experienced the same problem after having the car for 4 days, but the difference this time was that it only happened once the car hasn't had problems started other than that one time since so. Don't be to worried.
Old 01-30-14, 08:51 PM
LP640
Driver School Candidate

I parked my 2014 IS for a month with no battery tender and it started up fine. Maybe its a bad batch of batteries.
Old 01-30-14, 11:51 PM
jennypenny
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LP640
I parked my 2014 IS for a month with no battery tender and it started up fine. Maybe its a bad batch of batteries.
Same here. Parked my car for 5 weeks for a holiday. Came back and everything started as usual
Old 01-31-14, 12:53 AM
ckim037
Driver School Candidate

As much as I love my 14 IS350 Fsport, I had my car battery completely drained too after 3 months of usage. Tried starting car and nothing happens, just the BSM flickering wildly and soon fading out with nothing being responsive. It's incredibly frustrating because I have to leave to work early morning and never expected to encounter a problem like this. I left my lighting **** on auto and I am very sure I did not leave any light on. The car just needed a jump and some driving to recharge, but I hope this never happens again.. Such a minor thing causes such inconvenience.
Old 01-31-14, 07:32 AM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dAiLL3sT
When I first bought my 2008 IS 350 I had this problem right after I got my tints done.
Tint shops often leave cars on accessory mode so they can roll up and down the windows, as needed. Your headlamps and nav were likely on as well, which caused the drain...
Old 01-31-14, 08:02 AM
Alius
Pole Position

This happened to me too during my first month of ownership back in August. Couldn't start it up in the morning so had it bed-trucked to my nearest dealer, inspected it with no problems and told me I probably had something on overnight. I don't remember leaving anything on but either way, every time I turn off the car now, I shut off the AC/lights to off position, and shut off the nav too, and so far have had no hiccups.
Old 01-31-14, 09:45 PM
JayRo354
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ckim037
As much as I love my 14 IS350 Fsport, I had my car battery completely drained too after 3 months of usage. Tried starting car and nothing happens, just the BSM flickering wildly and soon fading out with nothing being responsive. It's incredibly frustrating because I have to leave to work early morning and never expected to encounter a problem like this. I left my lighting **** on auto and I am very sure I did not leave any light on. The car just needed a jump and some driving to recharge, but I hope this never happens again.. Such a minor thing causes such inconvenience.
I feel your pain on that one since the same thing happened to me. I watched the BSMs flicker and die a slow death. I had to jump start a brand new car so I was pissed but I knew what the problem was since the same thing happened with my 06 IS.(I figured the minds at Lexus would have resolved that quirk...guess not) The OEM battery that comes with the car is crap. My dealer tried the old; maybe you left something on, but I told them I wanted a new battery that was aftermarket since that solved the problem with my old IS which went on for over 4 years after that until I needed a new battery.It took them a little time to give in since the technician could not find the problem. Apparently this has become a common issue on the New IS and the dealers know about it but will still give you a little grief when you ask for a new battery.
Old 01-31-14, 09:52 PM
JayRo354
Rookie

[QUOTE=Alius;8357037]This happened to me too during my first month of ownership back in August. Couldn't start it up in the morning so had it bed-trucked to my nearest dealer, inspected it with no problems and told me I probably had something on overnight. I don't remember leaving anything on but either way, every time I turn off the car now, I shut off the AC/lights to off position, and shut off the nav too, and so far have had no hiccups.[/QUOT

I hope that you replaced the battery with another brand.
Old 01-31-14, 10:02 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since it is happening with new cars, maybe it is because the car battery drained when sitting on the lot. Car batteries are not meant to be completely drained since they are not deep cycle. When they are completely drained, it takes a lot longer to fully charge the battery because resistance increases.
Old 02-01-14, 02:58 PM
LexusFsprt
Driver

your battery probably has dead cells.
Old 02-03-14, 10:44 AM
difeq
Driver School Candidate

New to the forum and would like to add my experience to the list in the hopes that it will help others. We have a 14 IS250 F

This weekend is the THIRD time that our car has not started, it has been completely dead every time. I mean, remote key won't unlock doors, absolutely no lights come up when we manually unlock the doors. The previous two times the dealer has found nothing wrong, but replaced the battery once, we had the car less than 2 weeks the first time this happened.

In their defense I have jumped the car the previous two times and they could find nothing wrong, as the battery would charge on my drive to the dealership. This time I did not jump it, I had the car towed to the dealership in a completely dead state. Hopefully we find the issue this time. I will keep this forum updated, but since others are seeing this issue, I think it important to document how bad it has been for us.

Last edited by difeq; 02-03-14 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Added model year info.
Old 02-03-14, 10:46 AM
difeq
Driver School Candidate

Oh yeah, before someone asks, we always turn off the AC and we leave our lights on Auto, we are not leaving anything on causing this kind of drain.
Old 02-04-14, 09:03 AM
waxy
Pole Position

Same thing happened to me when I was issued a loaner IS 250.
The vehicle was literally brand new, there was only 22 miles on the odo, and they didn't even get the license plates yet.

I had to leave for Vegas to attend CES for a business trip for 5 days, came back, stuck my hand in the driver side handle and thought I left my keys somewhere.

Thought it was the remote battery that died, so I swapped it out.
Tried again, no success. Then I pulled out the manual key to open the car.
Attempted the low or no battery ignition by holding the fob near the start.

Nothing was left on, the radio wasn't even on, nor the AC/Heater.
Headlights were set on Auto, no USB cables connected, so nothing could be draining the car battery.

Ended up walking 4 miles to O'Reily's for a jumper cable.
Got a neighbor to jump my car and it started working again.

2 days of idle, it died again...
Old 02-04-14, 09:45 AM
scottkim23
Driver School Candidate

Where do you guys leave your key? I've noticed if it is to close to the car I think it does some sync stuff that will kill the battery. I moved my key kinda far from the car and haven't had the issue again.
Old 02-04-14, 10:10 AM
waxy
Pole Position

My key fob flew with me to Vegas' so around 500-600 miles?
Only received one, with the loaner not 2.

This doesn't happen to my 350 thank god or I'd be knocking on Lexus's door more than I already am.

Quick Reply: 3IS Battery Drain (merged threads)