IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3IS Battery Drain (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-14, 02:12 AM
finalhope
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFWes
Morale of this story ? Never buy a first year car.
True, the best year's model is usually the latest one until they start redesign on the next generation.

BUT, seeing that they haven't made this a recall or known issue yet, then what are the chances Lexus would fix this problem for the 2015 model? For those looking forward to buying one in 2015 rethink that

Last edited by finalhope; 05-03-14 at 02:24 AM.
Old 05-03-14, 09:22 AM
ISFWes
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Dead Battery

Lexus would still have sold the cars. The difference is someone else would be going to the dealership to get the problems fixed. And not you.
Old 05-03-14, 04:00 PM
finalhope
Rookie

Originally Posted by ISFWes
Lexus would still have sold the cars. The difference is someone else would be going to the dealership to get the problems fixed. And not you.
I think I saw a few replies to this thread stating that they went to the dealer, replaced the battery, checked everything else that can be related to the problem, and yet still the problem comes up again.
Sorry I'm not that type of person who enjoys buying a new car then afterwards going to the dealer to fix an issue that they do not have a clue about.
Old 05-04-14, 08:01 AM
ISFWes
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Dead Battery

Did they ever get a good fix on the Blue screen of death on the 3rd IS Navigation system?

Also just wait till the new NX rolls out in a few months. With its first ever turbo motor in a Lexus.
Old 05-04-14, 12:31 PM
mahtbeezy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

car died again last week. I posted back in October in this thread because it happened to me, too. They did a check and only charged it back to 100. I'm currently at 20k miles.

Then the front drivers door lock kept getting stuck and would not open with remote and/or door handle. they ordered a full replacement and it works fine now. Maybe this was making the battery drain...who knows.
Old 05-05-14, 11:51 AM
jah1226
Driver School Candidate

Default Still Fighting Dragons

Dealer called this morning and there is still no resolution. The tech wanted to know if we had any wireless devices in the home/garage that may be causing any interference. I let him know all of our security system endpoints were hard wired, and that I have already checked our router logs and the car has not been trying to connect to it Lexus is going to have their regional tech take a look at the car on Thursday, so looks like the wife will be without her new car for another few days. My day job is in network engineering, so I tend to troubleshoot everything with a flowchart. This seems like a malfunctioning micro switch/sensor that is not allowing the car to go to sleep, so if anyone else has had similar symptoms please chime in.
Old 05-05-14, 12:06 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

did they swap the battery to rule it out?
Old 05-05-14, 04:27 PM
finalhope
Rookie

LEMON LAW SHALL TAKE EFFECT! See this is the reason why I'm not bringing the issue up to the dealer yet...... even if I do they are not playing with my car...... I'm surprise on how long it may take Lexus to recall on this problem.
Old 05-05-14, 06:19 PM
jah1226
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: Still Fighting Dragons

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
did they swap the battery to rule it out?
Yes, the dealer replaced it on the first visit, although they insisted that it checked out good. I was also present when the charging system was checked. I honestly don't believe the charging system or battery is the underlying cause, it seems like something is not shutting down which drains the battery, and unfortunately it happens randomly. I just hope Lexus will handle this in a way that validates all the customer service accolades they have received thru the years.
Old 05-06-14, 12:37 AM
finalhope
Rookie

This totally sucks, nothing is worse than not being able to even start the engine. It defeats the main function and purpose of having a car. They need to quickly address this issue and I honestly think the Lemon Law should take effect, but it's going to be a tough one. It's almost a year and Lexus haven't mention any recall or brought up this problem at all. I was thinking of scenarios such as what happens when I wake up in the morning to go to school to take an exam but my car wouldn't start? LEXUS RELIABLE REALLY?

Last edited by finalhope; 05-06-14 at 12:41 AM.
Old 05-08-14, 05:49 AM
blubyu305
Driver School Candidate

Add me to the list. I came home from a harrowing 6 day vacation and decided to take the car out for a nice drive.

Went to unlock the doors and nothing happened. Verified the battery wasn't dead in my remote (red light still flashes) and had to take the remote apart to use the key. Opened the door and had no interior lights.

Called roadside to give me a jump - as soon as he completed the circuit the alarm went off and the car was able to be turned over then drove it to recharge the battery. This is the first time the car has sat for anymore than 2 days.

Is it normal when jumping these cars that the alarm goes off?

Car has 7k miles

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

Last edited by blubyu305; 05-08-14 at 05:55 AM.
Old 05-08-14, 05:50 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

if you are one of those that like to troubleshoot yourself:

Old 05-10-14, 08:05 PM
finalhope
Rookie

Okay so I decided to take my car into the dealer yesterday for a checkup on this issue. Like others said here, they checked the battery and the system everything is fine...... he suggested I probably didn't drive it enough to leave it sit for 2 nights LOL. Well it's hard for them, I understand. When is Lexus going to solve this issue for all the 2014 owners and 2015 since it's an unnoticeable problem yet.
Old 05-10-14, 08:39 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

Some of the 2013 GS350 owners have been dealing with this issue since 2012

Parasitic draw is the only explanation at this point..!!

Or

Panasonic is selling Lexus some crappy batteries...

Joe Z
Old 05-11-14, 02:35 AM
jennypenny
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I left my car for 3 weeks idle, no battery issues. Maybe they didn't replace your battery? Maybe mark your battery with marker and check it after?

Quick Reply: 3IS Battery Drain (merged threads)