IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3IS Battery Drain (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-14, 12:00 PM
FforLife
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, this happened to me too right about 600 - 1000 mi. Recharged it myself, reported to dealer for record. Batt is okay ever since.
Old 04-09-14, 02:26 AM
iPinky
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by itisme1760
I had the issue and took it into the dealership at Scottsdale, AZ. Initially they told me that all the checks ran fine and my battery had no issue. I asked the guy what would I do if I had the same problem (as I had to jump start the battery twice in two days before taking it in), he said to just call lexus roadside service and they will jump for me. Then take it in the shop again. I was furious that we had to do such a stupid loop around to get to the problem. I told him no, i can't do that, he said ok, gave me an ES loaner and told me to come back at lunch time. Came back a few hours later and they gave me a new battery and crossing fingers that this one has no problems...
That is the same exact thing they told me after asking the very same question you asked. Roadside Service? That's the best they could do. Ugh. And they wouldn't budge on replacing my battery since my battery had no issues either. I'm just hoping this doesn't happen to me again, especially since I'll be going out of state this weekend. I certainly do not want to be stranded in another state. But, oh wait, Lexus Roadside Service should be enough to erase my concern. BS, Lexus.
Old 04-09-14, 05:47 AM
finalhope
Rookie

This is why I haven't took my car to the dealership for this problem yet. Not until they figured out it should be a recall...... This is definitely a recall...... every 3rd gen IS owner should try leaving their car idle for couple of days and see what happens to their battery. Lexus better not screw this one up big or their reputation......

The thing you guys didn't know is that the 3rd gen IS turns off any interior lights when they sense battery is weak including when you have it in accessory mode etc...... I've tried it and it did what I wrote.
Old 04-24-14, 12:44 PM
jah1226
Driver School Candidate

Default Battery Number 2 is dead

Our battery died the first time at 3100 miles, which Lexus replaced even though they said the battery was fine . The car now has 5600 miles on it, and the battery was dead again this morning. This time they agreed to keep it overnight to check for a parasitic drain, and replace the battery if needed with an aftermarket model of my choice. The dealership (and Lexus) have been very willing to take care of the issue, but they need to look into the underlying cause. Nothing was left on in the vehicle either time. Hope they correct this quickly.
Old 04-24-14, 04:10 PM
finalhope
Rookie

Tell you guys what.
One night I heard some electronic noise coming out of my car when it is turned off for hours already. I have a feeling there is some kind of drain going on with the new IS. Sad that Lexus reliability is not going good here. The
Old 04-24-14, 04:17 PM
Ratedg
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

possible alternator prob? or jsut a bad battery it sounds likes
Old 04-24-14, 05:26 PM
yellow2112
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I had a post here from last week. My battery died at 1200 miles. Had it jumped by AAA and took it right to the dealer who replaced the battery.
Old 04-24-14, 09:24 PM
finalhope
Rookie

From the many owners that testified their battery dead after at least 2 nights of not driving (including me who just left it in the garage for 2 nights. It seems like its not simply just the battery's problem, possibly nothing is wrong with the battery, so that leaves it to a slow leak battery drain somewhere in all the new IS's. Im going to just buy a jump starter in case I get stranded. I'll probably wait until this is a known issue so the dealer can fix it without a hassle. Just my case, but hopefully not everyone does this or else the recall would take awhile

Again I honestly do not see how Lexus built up their reliable reputation.
Old 04-24-14, 09:28 PM
Vairox
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmmm, I haven't left my car unused for 2 days in a row but I'm going to Turks & Caicos next month which will leave my car unused for 7 days guess I'll find out then. Car had 3600 miles, 4 months old.
Old 04-25-14, 06:22 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by Vairox
hmmm, I haven't left my car unused for 2 days in a row but I'm going to Turks & Caicos next month which will leave my car unused for 7 days guess I'll find out then. Car had 3600 miles, 4 months old.
I fly a lot for work and therefore routinely leave my car parked for a week or more while on travel. Probably a dozen times or more since I got it. On the weekends, it usually sits both Saturday and Sunday as we usually take our RX. In all of this, it has never drained and failed to start. I hope it never does.
Old 04-25-14, 11:41 AM
jah1226
Driver School Candidate

We just picked the car up from the dealer. The tests for parasitic battery drain came back normal. The battery also tested normal, which has left everyone scratching their heads. My wife drives the car every day, so sitting for an extended period of time is not the culprit. Dealer has agreed to have a service tech come by the house and check the battery condition once a week for the next month, which is above and beyond my expectations. Will report any info when available.
Old 04-26-14, 08:52 PM
ras1325
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by finalhope
Tell you guys what.
One night I heard some electronic noise coming out of my car when it is turned off for hours already. I have a feeling there is some kind of drain going on with the new IS. Sad that Lexus reliability is not going good here. The
I heard that too but found out it's the EVAP system and totally normal.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...rcarriage.html

We've had 8 Lexus over the years and this is the only reliability problem I can remember, and it only happened once.
Old 05-02-14, 06:59 AM
jah1226
Driver School Candidate

Default WTF....Car Dead Again

Wife calls me again this morning and said the car would not start. This time we had the car taken to the dealer on a flatbed. I have never in my life had a car with less than 7,000 miles die this much, so we let the dealer know we would not pick up the car until they found the issue and corrected it. We live in Virginia, so they get one more chance to fix this until the Lemon Law takes effect. We have owned the Lexus brand for many years and have had great reliability from them, and my wife loves her F-sport but the end is near for this car. I know there are a lot of posts on here concerning starting issues, so I am curious if this is a known problem to Lexus (and their service departments) that will be denied forever. I know someone has to make up the statistics, but this is damned frustrating.
Old 05-02-14, 03:39 PM
finalhope
Rookie

Originally Posted by jah1226
Wife calls me again this morning and said the car would not start. This time we had the car taken to the dealer on a flatbed. I have never in my life had a car with less than 7,000 miles die this much, so we let the dealer know we would not pick up the car until they found the issue and corrected it. We live in Virginia, so they get one more chance to fix this until the Lemon Law takes effect. We have owned the Lexus brand for many years and have had great reliability from them, and my wife loves her F-sport but the end is near for this car. I know there are a lot of posts on here concerning starting issues, so I am curious if this is a known problem to Lexus (and their service departments) that will be denied forever. I know someone has to make up the statistics, but this is damned frustrating.
Well it would be hard for the lemon law in this case to take effect. If things get nasty, they can always try to blame you for draining the battery itself. If the lemon law works I would take this thing in and get my money back! The thing about Toyota/Lexus is they do not fail as much as the Germans when it comes to reliability, but once they do something wrong it's tooooooooooooooo big such as the carpet and accelerator problem in 2009.

I still haven't brought mine in to check the problem yet because I don't want my car to be a guinea pig for a recall
I do remember that the new IS would automatically shut off all lights when battery is low though. If that's true then the lemon law applies

Last edited by finalhope; 05-02-14 at 03:43 PM.
Old 05-02-14, 05:07 PM
ISFWes
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Dead Battery

Originally Posted by jah1226
Wife calls me again this morning and said the car would not start. This time we had the car taken to the dealer on a flatbed. I have never in my life had a car with less than 7,000 miles die this much, so we let the dealer know we would not pick up the car until they found the issue and corrected it.
Morale of this story ? Never buy a first year car.

Quick Reply: 3IS Battery Drain (merged threads)