IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3IS Battery Drain (merged threads)

Old 12-01-14, 04:21 PM
Loe
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

couple things I've observed with my car, at first I thought it was a fluke, but its happened on three separate occasions...

When I go to shut off the ignition and press the button, the car will normally shut off. However, twice now when I went to shut it off, the speedo screen remained in the first "on" position (not the "ignition" position) with the speedo displaying a grayish screen with the ODO showing. You can still lock the door with the FOB in this position, making it appear as though it's truly shut off. Thankfully I went back to the car because I forgot my phone, only to see the speedo still displaying that grayish screen.

Tonight, I wanted to test out some new tunes and put the ignition on the "ignition" position, but without the brake pedal pressed. When I hit the button again, in theory this should have shut the accessory completely of (as it normally does), and I left the car & hit the FOB to lock the car, but went back to it again because I left my ipod in there and wanted to load more music. Needless to say, I had to cycle the ignition 3 times before it truly shut off.

Something to think about...
Old 12-08-14, 11:46 AM
cFoo
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dealer finally replaced my battery. As documented on here, dead cells when they did the load test. I'm happy with the replacement under warranty. What I'm not too impress with is the response from the tech. I played dumb and asked what will happen if the battery dies again? He asked how often and how long I park the car? I told him I fly out a lot on business trips, often 4-5 days. He told me to buy a trigger charger. I gave him the are you kidding me look, and told him that I park-n-fly. That's not feasible. He told me that's the official recommendation from Lexus Canada because of all the complicated electronics in the car. I quickly made the point that all my previous Benz and Acura, with just much electronics, can park 3-4 weeks just fine when I'm on vacation. I didn't want to continue arguing something that is not yet a problem so I left it at that. I'll try out the new battery and see how long before I have to take the car back again.
Old 12-08-14, 03:45 PM
dagobert
Driver School Candidate

My IS has been sitting for 10 days now...battery is still showing 12.3v...fresh as a daisy, fired right up.

I didn't look but is the OEM a Panasonic battery?
Old 12-10-14, 05:13 AM
mechfreak
Driver School Candidate

Been 2 weeks since my gateway ECU was replaced and touch wood no issues as yet
Old 12-10-14, 08:08 AM
DreamAce7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mechfreak
Thanks for the update.
Old 12-10-14, 08:51 AM
cFoo
Driver

This is just great. I don't know if it's the new battery or not but my car's infosystem restarted 4 times during the commute this morning. On the 5th time it did a hard reboot and didn't come back until I turned the car off and on again.
Old 12-11-14, 07:47 AM
sapd911
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mechfreak
Same for me, it has been about 3 weeks since my ECU was replaced. I let my 13 ES350 sit for 4 straight days in the garage, no issues so far. It appears they fixed the battery drain!

Last edited by sapd911; 12-11-14 at 08:10 AM.
Old 12-11-14, 08:04 AM
FrOHiKE
Driver

Originally Posted by cFoo
This is just great. I don't know if it's the new battery or not but my car's infosystem restarted 4 times during the commute this morning. On the 5th time it did a hard reboot and didn't come back until I turned the car off and on again.
At least your infotainment system didn't DIE 2 weeks into ownership like mine! All kidding aside, Lexus should be replacing my system by tomorrow.
Old 12-11-14, 09:08 AM
cFoo
Driver

Originally Posted by FrOHiKE
At least your infotainment system didn't DIE 2 weeks into ownership like mine! All kidding aside, Lexus should be replacing my system by tomorrow.
I actually wish it died! It makes for an easier conversation than trying to convince the dealer something that is random and cannot be reproduced. I have no doubt that Lexus will take very good care of us. It's just an annoyance for something that you wouldn't expect from a Lexus.
Old 12-17-14, 05:38 AM
Boomin
Racer

Received 395 Likes on 240 Posts

Wife had this car 11 months now, and car been parked since Friday. This morning dead, I used the key to get in and nothing works, nothing. Lexus road side is on its way and said the dealership will determine if the battery is dead pfffff.
Old 12-17-14, 06:01 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

As indicated in another post -- car went dead for the 1st time after 16 months of ownership. Got a jump and all has been well. 2 nights ago left the interior light on for 9 hours -- no problems. Weird. How many of you having this problem use an android phone? The one time my car went dead -- I accidentally left Spotify open all night and it might have been still connected to the car. Android is famous for having open apps. Just a thought.
Old 12-17-14, 08:48 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomin
Wife had this car 11 months now, and car been parked since Friday. This morning dead, I used the key to get in and nothing works, nothing. Lexus road side is on its way and said the dealership will determine if the battery is dead pfffff.
Hopefully, they didn't tell you that you can call roadside assistance from inside the car. Three people told me that when I had the battery issue. Dead battery. In car electronics not working. Does not compute.
Old 12-17-14, 09:22 AM
Boomin
Racer

Received 395 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by link13
Hopefully, they didn't tell you that you can call roadside assistance from inside the car. Three people told me that when I had the battery issue. Dead battery. In car electronics not working. Does not compute.
lol no from the celly
Old 12-17-14, 03:40 PM
cFoo
Driver

Originally Posted by Glashub
How many of you having this problem use an android phone? The one time my car went dead -- I accidentally left Spotify open all night and it might have been still connected to the car. Android is famous for having open apps. Just a thought.
I'm on iPhone. The car should turn off the stereo after xx minutes. I've seen it turned off because I left it on while washing. It will even tell you on the screen that it's going to turn off to save battery.
Old 02-24-15, 08:39 AM
Dark9t316
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fellas, this is my first real problem with the car. It all started this morning, was ready to drive to work, but the car won't start, once i depress the break petal and press start button, the dash flashes and makes buzzing and thumping noises. I'm the process of getting the car towed to the dealership at the moment.

Has anyone else experienced this?
2014 IS350 F-sport

2014 Lexus IS350 problem:

2014 Lexus IS350 problem:

2014 IS350 problem:

Last edited by Dark9t316; 02-24-15 at 11:04 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3IS Battery Drain (merged threads)