IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Choppy Navigation Normal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-13, 11:27 PM
abcsoup
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm pretty sure that the nav choppiness isn't due to the read speed on the card, especially since previous Lexus vehicles have smoother displays. The data for the map that you're seeing is probably already cached into the nav system's memory at that point, so it wouldn't be reading from the SD card unless you just entered in a new destination. We'll probably have to wait for more firmware updates to see an improvement in system speed. Hopefully, they can optimize the rendering code for the map.

But I'm still curious, so I'm going to try to see what I can do with the SD card this weekend. Might have to dig up some card utilities to get it to read properly.
Old 10-31-13, 12:41 AM
vbx
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by abcsoup
I'm pretty sure that the nav choppiness isn't due to the read speed on the card, especially since previous Lexus vehicles have smoother displays. The data for the map that you're seeing is probably already cached into the nav system's memory at that point, so it wouldn't be reading from the SD card unless you just entered in a new destination. We'll probably have to wait for more firmware updates to see an improvement in system speed. Hopefully, they can optimize the rendering code for the map.

But I'm still curious, so I'm going to try to see what I can do with the SD card this weekend. Might have to dig up some card utilities to get it to read properly.
I thought the previous models used dvds? And I don't think its cached cuz if u remove the sd card, nav does not work.
Old 10-31-13, 01:23 AM
abcsoup
Driver

Oh, yeah, it definitely won't work if you remove the SD card. I just meant that the map data that's currently viewable on the screen (nearest 1-5 mile radius, or whatever your zoom level is) would need to be cached into the nav's RAM for rendering.

So, for example, if you just drove around in circles in a parking lot, I'm guessing that there wouldn't be any new map data being loaded from the SD card since the nearest roads are already cached in system memory. However, even though there's no SD loading, the nav's redraw rate will probably still be choppy since I think the problem is with the draw/render code and not with the SD loading speed. Of course, this is all just conjecture since I don't know exactly how the Lexus system is designed but that's what makes the most sense to me.
Old 10-31-13, 02:13 PM
vbx
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, keep us posted if you find a way to crack the stock SD card. I would like to see if transferring the files to a Class 10 Card would decrease the choppiness in the animation.

(Like watching movies on a class 4 card, and then watching it on a class 10 card). Night and day!
Old 11-01-13, 03:25 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brought my car in for service; master tech updated software from 8400 to 8500 on the spot, but doing so did not improve the speed of changing the volume, station or source.

While master tech said he didn’t feel there was too much delay(!?), he kept the car, but called me back today to say he spoke with Lexus corporate and they said they’re going to address this, as well as the choppy navigation map, which I also complained of, on the next software release, but there's no telling when that will be!? Disappointing if you ask me! Master tech also mentioned Denso develops the software, not Lexus itself, per-se.

In all, I still suggest everyone call Lexus corporate (800-25-LEXUS) to complain of what is a slow and sluggish system and choppy navigation map. I have a 2004 LX470 with no similar problems at all; you’d think that in 10 years the system would be faster, not slower. We need to be sure they’re working to release a solution ASAP...

Last edited by dbs600; 11-01-13 at 07:58 PM.
Old 11-01-13, 04:07 PM
alexlude
Lead Lap

new features = sometimes regression happens - all depends on how they resolve it... not trying to defend, but not all new software means better. because of the new features / possibly different company, many bugs can occur. Unfortunate that these issues are occurring, but luckily they can be resolved with SW updates. lets hope this happens sooner rather than later. Being first year of this new generation car, i'm not surprised. Let's see how fast they can resolved.

They've went from 8300 -> 8400 -> 8500 in a month or so, so i'm hopeful things will get resolved....
Old 11-01-13, 11:44 PM
abcsoup
Driver

Tried out a bunch of different methods and utilities (including some Linux filesystem readers since I heard the new infotainment system is Linux-based) to get the micro SD card to read, but all of them failed. I'm guessing the thing's encrypted somehow so only the nav system can read it?

Maybe they want to prevent people from being able to tamper with the nav data (take a left turn right off that cliff!) or make free copies of newer map data sets. Either way, I couldn't get either my Windows or Mac system to recognize it. Maybe someone with a Linux box could try it out, or we can just wait til version 8700+ fixes all our woes.
Old 11-21-13, 08:43 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Spoke with Lexus corporate, which states a new firmware (not software) has been released to dealers for the “RC2” system, which should resolve Enform’s delay / lag and navigation system choppiness.

While they state there’s a service bulletin for same, they wouldn’t provide the service bulletin number, stating same is internal, but also stated we’re still on software version 8500 (that this is an update to same).

Anyone receive the update yet? Notice any difference? Any way we can get our hands on the service bulletin? Annoying we can’t update same ourselves!

I hope this works, but if not, I encourage everyone experiencing difficulty to notify Lexus. You can either call them at: 800-25-LEXUS (53987) or e-mail them here: http://lexus2.custhelp.com/app/ask.

Thanks.
Old 11-21-13, 10:14 PM
alexlude
Lead Lap

Are you sure they're not talking about 8500 update? It's a separate update they're talking about?
Old 11-21-13, 11:26 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by alexlude
Are you sure they're not talking about 8500 update? It's a separate update they're talking about?
Yes, seperate update; firmware revision. Software to remain at 8500.

Dealers have same now!
Old 11-21-13, 11:36 PM
alexlude
Lead Lap

how can you check which version FW you have vs version SW?
Old 11-22-13, 07:18 AM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by alexlude
how can you check which version FW you have vs version SW?
Not sure; forgot to ask; while the rep was giving me information, he held back much.

Maybe it's one of the other numbers listed when getting to the screen that says '8500'.

In all, definitely something just released; wasn't available last week.

Last edited by dbs600; 11-22-13 at 08:17 AM.
Old 11-22-13, 08:10 AM
abcsoup
Driver

Definitely curious to see what the changes were. I was planning to wait til my 5k service before getting my V8400 updated, but if it's a big enough improvement, I'll stop in before then.

Someone please report back if you get it!
Old 12-09-13, 04:22 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

So this is strange:

As stated, a tech manager at corporate stated there’s a “firmware” update for the “RC2” system, that same had been released to dealers and that there’s a bulletin on same, although he wouldn’t reveal the bulletin number, stating the dealer can easily find same!?

I bought my car to the dealer, but the service manager and shop foreman state they’ve searched and can't find any updates for my vehicle and they've never heard of the “RC2” system. Wasn’t easy, but I pleaded with them to contact the tech manager, which they reluctantly did; they also called their Regional Technical Engineer (“RTE”).

Then they came out to the waiting area, where they asked me to wait, and stated their RTE states a fix is in the works, but that nothing’s been released. They also took the stance it was a waste to reach out to the tech manager, as he wasn’t helpful, which I was confused about, but didn’t press them on same, and left off that they'll investigate further and will be in touch with me when they have more info.

I received a call from the service manager today stating the RTE will be at the dealer on Wednesday and that he’d like me to bring my car to document my concerns. Unfortunately, I’m busy this week and need to reschedule, but he went on to state the fix will likely be replacement of the entire Enform / Navigation module!? I asked if he found out what the “RC2” system is and he said yes, that the RTE states it’s the system firmware version and that it needs to be updated. I asked why the firmware can’t be updated without replacing the entire module and he said it may be months before there’s an update and they’re just replacing whole units at this time!?

Replacing the whole unit seems drastic! Anyone have additional insight?

Otherwise, I’m still not sure if this fixes the slow / delayed Enform system, the choppy / not smooth Navigation system or both. They’re indirectly leading me to believe it’s only the choppy / not smooth Navigation system!

Thanks.

Last edited by dbs600; 12-11-13 at 07:34 AM.
Old 12-09-13, 04:41 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dbs600
So this is strange:

As stated, a tech manager at corporate stated that there’s a “firmware” update for the “RC2” system, that same had been released to dealers and that there’s a bulletin on same, although he wouldn’t reveal the bulletin number, stating the dealer can easily find same!?

I bring my car to the dealer, but the service manager and shop foreman state they’ve searched and cannot find any updates for my vehicle and that they've never heard of the “RC2” system before. Wasn’t easy, but I plead with them to reach out to the tech manager at corporate, which they very reluctantly did; they also called their Regional Technical Engineer (“RTE”).

They then came out to the waiting area, where they asked me to wait, and stated their RTE states a fix is in the works, but that nothing’s been released. They also took the stance it was a waste to reach out to the tech manager, as he wasn’t helpful, which I was confused about, but didn’t press them on same, and left off that they'll dig further and will be in touch with me soon again, when they have more info.

I receive a call from the service manager today stating his RTE will be at the dealer on Wednesday and that he’d like me to bring my car in so the RTE can document my concerns. Unfortunately, I’m very busy this week and need to reschedule, but he went on to state the fix will likely be replacement of the entire Enform / Navigation module!? I asked if he ever found out what the “RC2” system is and he said yes, that his RTE states it’s the system firmware (what I was told by the tech manager) and that it needs to be updated. I asked why the firmware can’t just be updated without replacing the entire module and he said it may be months before there’s an update and they’re just replacing the whole system at this time!?

Replacing the whole unit seems very drastic, no!? Anyone have additional insight!?

Otherwise, I’m still not sure if this fixes the slow / delayed Enform system, the choppy / not smooth Navigation system or both. They’re indirectly leading me to believe it’s only the choppy / not smooth Navigation system!

Thanks.
That's the second instance of Lexus wanting to change the whole system out I've heard. I think they are not telling us everything about this. There must be a reason they want to change out the whole system. Does this mean anyone who has this will need to get a whole new enform/nav system?

Let us know if after this replacement if your system works better.

Quick Reply: Choppy Navigation Normal?