MOTHERLOAD list of PROS, CONS and discoveries

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-13, 09:31 AM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MOTHERLOAD list of PROS, CONS and discoveries

Took delivery yesterday.

First, let me say I’m happy this is not my daily driver, as the interior storage [configuration], or lack thereof, would DRIVE ME CRAZY and I’d be forced to return the car!

Otherwise, any comments (good, bad, ugly) or assistance w/r/t any of the following is welcome:

1. Heated seat strength SUCKS

2. The slide out valet key should have been part of the metal triangle piece that sticks out of the bottom of the key (why have two areas to hook a key ring?)

3. Knew the car wouldn’t have power dipping mirrors, but DIDN’T KNOW it wouldn’t have power folding mirrors (unless my memory is playing tricks on me)!

4. Can’t understand why the Enform / navigation system is SO SLOW; VERY UPSETTING

5. Cupholders by center arm rest are not terrible until you have a passenger

6. AWD hump by driver’s foot is a nonissue, and is actually comfortable; thought it would be otherwise

7. WTF is wrong with the interior in having a cigarette lighter plug inside the center storage compartment below the arm rest!? The storage compartment below the arm rest is so poorly designed that I can’t even store Starbucks paper napkins without them getting crushed, much less if I plug my cell phone charger adapter in there! WTF, WTF, WTF!

8. Don’t like that I have to have my cell phone in the center storage compartment to charge; thinking to drill a hole between the storage compartment and the forward most cup holder to slip a charger line through.

9. Don’t smoke, but no ashtray for change / coins!?

10. Is the engine ticking noise heard in a parking lot at idle normal?

11. Very neat that when you walk near the car with the key the interior lights turn on

12. Great steering wheel

13. Wish the plastic quality on the interior was better

14. Used to the double push of the start/stop button to shut off the car (from BMW); any way to program same in this car (I spent 2 minutes trying to figure out why the car was not locking, only to realize it was because it was in accessory mode; not fun)

15. LOVE the analogue clock, especially at night

16. Good looking aluminum trim

17. Enform mouse controller is very annoying; any way to make it move like a regular mouse, where you can position it over items yourself - like when it’s on a navigation map - instead of it jumping from button to button?

18. No eyeglasses holder, knew this before, but major fail

19. GREAT SEATS

20. Good engine power and very good engine sound

21. Front and front 3/4 angle views of the car are MEAN! Already have two compliments from strangers!

22. Good side-view mirror size

23. TFT instrument cluster display is AWESOME, but wish it took up more of the vacant space to the left and right

24. Thought my car (IS350 AWD F Sport) was came with VGRS, and a power adjustable steering column due to it having VGRS…?

25. Any way to change the instrument cluster dial to a speedometer instead of an RPM gauge?

26. Would it be strange if I change the front emblem to black pearl and leave the silver rear emblem from the factory?

27. WHY IS THE SOUND LEVEL (VOLUME) SO DIFFERENT FROM SOURCE TO SOURCE!? THIS IS EXCEPTIONALLY ANNOYING. I go from FM to AM, which is as low as can be, to SAT, which is super loud coming from AM at a regular listening volume

28. AGAIN, AGAIN, AGAIN, why is Enform SO SLOW!? I’ve been told my car has the updated software. Simply changing the volume or the station takes time and I often overshoot what I want, which is just plain cruel in a $50k car

29. Dislike how the shift gate upshift and downshift are reverse of what they should be; downshift should be a tap forward and upshift should be a tap backward

30. Why do I have to press the down button on the steering wheel button to scroll through my presets in ascending order!? We should have to press up on the steering wheel button to go from preset 1 to 2, etc…

31. What’s the difference between quick and short navigation routes?

32. Dislike how after you select a radio station from the steering wheel the option to select another from the list goes away and you have to start from selecting a source again and scrolling the list of stations from the top

33. How is it possible we can pause radio, but not record CD’s to the car; unfortunate

34. Start-Stop button is too high, causing accidental hitting of the windshield wiper stalk; I’d be pissed upon a fresh car wash

35. Poor rear view camera picture quality

36. Can’t see nose of the car

37. Where is the glass breakage sensor?

38. Love the retro, 80’s-like Sony TV remote control look of center control buttons!!!

39. Love the F Sport front grille, even with plate

40. Why can’t the rear headrests be pushed up any higher!? There’s only one notch!?

41. What is wrong with the owner’s manual case!? It’s not designed properly. If you know what I mean, you know what I mean.

42. Why doesn’t the key work outside car when car is on (pop open trunk or unlock doors)? Any way to change this?

43. Spent a little less than 5 minutes struggling with the stupid rear cargo net, while trying to arrange things in the trunk, until I said f it and removed it from the car all together; there’s no clearance with the cargo net in place, as it’s a very small trunk opening

44. Does EZ Pass work throughout the windshield or is there a special cut out somewhere for it to be placed? Have had this problem on Mercedes’ and BMW’s with special glass

45. Very neat that the sun visor mirror covers suck open or shut closed; never seen that in any other car! Similar to high end kitchen cabinetry / draws that soft close! Very cool, and I feel if the bean counters had known of this luxury, they would’ve removed it to keep cost low, as they have with much of the rest of the car, unfortunately

46. Ugly, ghetto sparkles of the black foam / sponge beneath and seen through to the seating perforations, seen mostly at night in the rear with the interior lights on; Tacky!

47. It’s obvious that NuLuxe IS NOT leather, to me, at least, which is disappointing; never gave a NuLuxe interior a real look at before my car arrived

48. And, last, but not least, any reason why my MPG’s haven’t been good? Hovering around 10, according to the computer, which is crazy, as I bought this car for fuel economy. Anything to do with a break in period? I'm sure it'll get better.

ANYWAY, hope this thing is good in snow. :|

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by dbs600; 10-11-13 at 09:18 PM.
Old 10-10-13, 09:43 AM
sloosh
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

31. Short is the shortest route and quick is the quickest route....they're not always the same. What don't you understand?
Old 10-10-13, 09:45 AM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sloosh
31. Short is the shortest route and quick is the quickest route....they're not always the same. What don't you understand?
Hmm; okay; got it; one regards distance, the other time.

Thanks!
Old 10-10-13, 09:47 AM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

maybe you should just buy a BMW or something!
I want my click back!
Old 10-10-13, 09:57 AM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bass Mech
maybe you should just buy a BMW or something!
I want my click back!
Test drove multiple models of the competition a few times - 3 Series, C-Class and A4 - and on a number of drives of the IS, the IS350 AWD came out on top; though I hadn't driven an F Sport.

Anyway, BMW Service, Customer Service, Dealers and Corporate are TERRIBLE and although I test drove a few 3 Series models (and have had them as loaners), I will never recommend the company or its products (long story short, my car has pulled to the right since new; long and ongoing story...).

So I don't know...

Otherwise, what do you mean by "click"?

Last edited by dbs600; 10-10-13 at 10:23 AM.
Old 10-10-13, 10:07 AM
jdot85
Driver School Candidate

10. Refer to this thread regarding the engine ticking noises: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ur-engine.html
Old 10-10-13, 10:08 AM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dbs600
Test drove multiple models of the competition a few times - 3 Series, C-Class and A4 - and on a number of drives of the IS, the IS350 AWD came out on top; though I hadn't driven an F Sport.

Anyway, BMW Service, Customer Service, Dealers and Corporate are TERRIBLE and although I test drove a few 3 Series models (and have had them as loaners), I will never recommend the company or its products (long and ongoing story).

So I don't know...

Otherwise, what do you mean by "click"?
I mean it seems you have little of anything positive to say about the car, if you dislike so many things about it perhaps a different car such as a BMW would have suited you better? I would hate to see the dislike list on that car!

and for the click, I wasted my time viewing this thread. nothing of any value here just a bunch of negativity. now ive clicked 2x and I need 2 clicks back because ive now wasted even more time on a worthless thread.
Old 10-10-13, 10:13 AM
WhiteISWay
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dbs600
Took delivery yesterday.

First, let me say I’m happy this is not my daily driver, as the interior storage [configuration], or lack thereof, would DRIVE ME CRAZY and I’d be forced to return the car!

Otherwise, any comments (good, bad, ugly) or assistance w/r/t any of the following is welcome:

1. Heated seat strength SUCKS

2. The slide out valet key should have been part of the metal triangle piece that sticks out of the bottom of the key (why have two areas to hook a key ring?)

3. Knew the car wouldn’t have power dipping mirrors, but DIDN’T KNOW it wouldn’t have power folding mirrors (unless my memory is playing tricks on me)!

4. Can’t understand why the Enform / navigation system is SO SLOW; VERY UPSETTING

5. Cupholders by center arm rest are not terrible until you have a passenger

6. AWD hump by driver’s foot is a nonissue, and is actually comfortable; thought it would be otherwise

7. WTF is wrong with the interior in having a cigarette lighter plug inside the center storage compartment below the arm rest!? The storage compartment below the arm rest is so poorly designed that I can’t even store Starbucks paper napkins without them getting crushed, much less if I plug my cell phone charger adapter in there! WTF, WTF, WTF!

8. Don’t like that I have to have my cell phone in the center storage compartment to charge; thinking to drill a hole between the storage compartment and the forward most cup holder to slip a charger line through.

9. Don’t smoke, but no ashtray for change / coins!?

10. Is the engine ticking noise heard in a parking lot at idle normal?

11. Very neat that when you walk near the car with the key the interior lights turn on

12. Great steering wheel

13. Wish the plastic quality on the interior was better

14. Used to the double push of the start/stop button to shut off the car (from BMW); any way to program same in this car (I spent 2 minutes trying to figure out why the car was not locking, only to realize it was because it was in accessory mode; not fun)

15. LOVE the analogue clock, especially at night

16. Good looking aluminum trim

17. Enform mouse controller is very annoying; any way to make it move like a regular mouse, where you can position it over items yourself - like when it’s on a navigation map - instead of it jumping from button to button?

18. No eyeglasses holder, knew this before, but major fail

19. GREAT SEATS

20. Good engine power and very good engine sound

21. Front and front 3/4 angle views of the car are MEAN! Already have two compliments from strangers!

22. Good side-view mirror size

23. TFT instrument cluster display is AWESOME, but wish it took up more of the vacant space to the left and right

24. Thought my car (IS350 AWD F Sport) was came with VGRS, and a power adjustable steering column due to it having VGRS…?

25. Any way to change the instrument cluster dial to a speedometer instead of an RPM gauge?

26. Would it be strange if I change the front emblem to black pearl and leave the silver rear emblem from the factory?

27. WHY IS THE SOUND LEVEL (VOLUME) SO DIFFERENT FROM SOURCE TO SOURCE!? THIS IS EXCEPTIONALLY ANNOYING. I go from FM to AM, which is as low as can be, to SAT, which is super loud coming from AM at a regular listening volume

28. AGAIN, AGAIN, AGAIN, why is Enform SO SLOW!? I’ve been told my car has the updated software. Simply changing the volume or the station takes time and I often overshoot what I want, which is just plain cruel in a $50k car

29. Dislike how the shift gate upshift and downshift are reverse of what they should be; downshift should be a tap forward and upshift should be a tap backward

30. Why do I have to press the down button on the steering wheel button to scroll through my presets in ascending order!? We should have to press up on the steering wheel button to go from preset 1 to 2, etc…

31. What’s the difference between quick and short navigation routes?

32. Dislike how after you select a radio station from the steering wheel the option to select another from the list goes away and you have to start from selecting a source again and scrolling the list of stations from the top

33. How is it possible we can pause radio, but not record CD’s to the car; unfortunate

34. Start-Stop button is too high, causing accidental hitting of the windshield wiper stalk; I’d be pissed upon a fresh car wash

35. Poor rear view camera picture quality

36. Can’t see nose of the car

37. Where is the glass breakage sensor?

38. Love the retro, 80’s-like Sony TV remote control look of center control buttons!!!

39. Love the F Sport front grille, even with plate

40. Why can’t the rear headrests be pushed up any higher!? There’s only one notch!?

41. What is wrong with the owner’s manual case!? It’s not designed properly. If you know what I mean, you know what I mean.

42. Why doesn’t the key work outside car when car is on (pop open trunk or unlock doors)? Any way to change this?

43. Spent a little less than 5 minutes struggling with the stupid rear cargo net, while trying to arrange things in the trunk, until I said f it and removed it from the car all together; there’s no clearance with the cargo net in place, as it’s a very small trunk opening

44. Does EZ Pass work throughout the windshield or is there a special cut out somewhere for it to be placed? Have had this problem on Mercedes’ and BMW’s with special glass

45. Very neat that the sun visor mirror covers suck open or shut closed; never seen that in any other car! Similar to high end kitchen cabinetry / draws that soft close! Very cool, and I feel if the bean counters had known of this luxury, they would’ve removed it to keep cost low, as they have with much of the rest of the car, unfortunately

46. Ugly, ghetto sparkles of the black foam / sponge beneath and seen through to the seating perforations, mostly at night in the rear with the interior lights on; Tacky!

47. I’s obvious that NuLuxe IS NOT leather, to me, at least, which is disappointing; never gave a NuLuxe interior a real look at before my car arrived

48. And, last, but not least, any reason why my MPG’s haven’t been good? Hovering around 10, according to the computer, which is crazy, as I bought this car for fuel economy. Anything to do with a break in period? I'm sure it'll get better.

ANYWAY, hope this thing is good in snow. :|

Thanks for reading.
I'll try to address some things:

1. I thought the seat heaters sucked too, but then this morning, when it was about 50F out, i felt the warmth pretty quick.

3. correct, no power folding mirrors

4. check the thread (navigation slowness resolved) for the update to see if you have the latest firmware. It helps a LITTLE

6. I like it too

8. I think there is a holder for a wire under the armrest. check again, I've never used it, but seen people post on here.

9. I use a cup for coins. Its my panhandling cup

10. There is a thread about the ticking sound too. Due to direct injection is what i hear.

24. Only RWD comes with those features

27. I actually like how each "source" has their own volume since different sources produce different volumes.. The system saves the settings once you change it.

30. It is a little backwards, but if you think about it, it goes in the order of list on the screen. (i got used to ti)

47. I actually like the nuluxe, it feels softer than leather. If over time it doesn't wrinkle, i'll like it even more.

48. It'll go up with time, has nothing to do with break in. More so from people starting and stopping it when they are moving it around.

I like the car a lot. my only complaint is some cheap plastic (esp steering wheel since I touch it all the time) and the radio slowness.

I love the small cockpit feel.
Old 10-10-13, 10:18 AM
Vulaj
Driver

You're awesome!!!

I know exactly what you mean by many of these features loll!!

Middle console ? Wtf they couldn't design that any better??

Consider yourself luck you have the navigation and sun shades as some of us *ehem* don't in our f-sports

I agree with you on almost everything you'd said!!!
Old 10-10-13, 10:23 AM
dCeption
Driver School Candidate

shocked and appalled, when i looked at OP's profile, it said gender: male,
after reading his post, thought it would be the opposite....
Old 10-10-13, 10:27 AM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bass Mech
I mean it seems you have little of anything positive to say about the car, if you dislike so many things about it perhaps a different car such as a BMW would have suited you better? I would hate to see the dislike list on that car!

and for the click, I wasted my time viewing this thread. nothing of any value here just a bunch of negativity. now ive clicked 2x and I need 2 clicks back because ive now wasted even more time on a worthless thread.
Definitely not returning to BMW, as mentioned, but needed to test drive and see what they had to offer, regardless. I did test drive the other cars mentioned and the Lexus IS came out on top, but yes, living with a car is perhaps different from test driving one. What I knew going in to this, however, is that I've had an LX470 since new and Lexus is a great company to work with.

Otherwise, I apologize for any time of yours I wasted, and to others who share your sentiment; didn't mean to.

Last edited by dbs600; 10-10-13 at 10:30 AM.
Old 10-10-13, 10:33 AM
dCeption
Driver School Candidate

u didnt waste any time bro, all the people that replied prolly dont have *****t to do anyways... good day mate..
Old 10-10-13, 10:41 AM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jdot85
10. Refer to this thread regarding the engine ticking noises: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ur-engine.html
Thank you, Sir!

Originally Posted by Vulaj
You're awesome!!!

I know exactly what you mean by many of these features loll!!

Middle console ? Wtf they couldn't design that any better??

Consider yourself luck you have the navigation and sun shades as some of us *ehem* don't in our f-sports

I agree with you on almost everything you'd said!!!
At least one person understands; Ha!

Have Navigation, but no sun shade; would've been nice.

Originally Posted by dCeption
shocked and appalled, when i looked at OP's profile, it said gender: male, after reading his post, thought it would be the opposite....
Haha; OCD for sure.
Old 10-10-13, 10:49 AM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks, WhiteISWay! 

4. I'll check to see if I have the latest software.

8. Have to look into what you're referring to.

9. Panhandling cup; LOL!

10. Gotcha; my BMW has direct injection too, so I know what you mean, but its a different sound; guess just a matter of different setups.

27. Not so sure, the system doesn't seem to save the sound level setting from source to source, it keeps it constant from one to the next. So a normal setting on FM is low on AM, and a normal setting on AM is loud on Satellite! Can you please confirm that yours saves the sound level for each source. If so, I need to bring this with service.

30. Guess I have to get used to certain things being backwards.

48. Thanks, sure hope the MPG's get better; confident they will...

OTHERWISE, forgot to mention I'm very happy with the standard, non-ML sound system quality!
Old 10-10-13, 10:53 AM
IS350S2K
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

After all your issues with the car, it still came out on top? I wonder what the others didn't have.

Quick Reply: MOTHERLOAD list of PROS, CONS and discoveries