IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Can 3IS run two sets of tpms?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-13, 09:41 PM
zabone
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can 3IS run two sets of tpms?

I'm debating buying another set of sensors for the winter set. Is there a switch to toggle between the two sets? or do I have to reprogram each time I swap the summer wheels on?
Old 10-09-13, 10:50 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

when i bought new wheels for my 2009 tacoma discount tires used something called an easy sensor. they were programmed as clones from my factory ones. essentially they send the same signal and same RFID sognal as the stock ones did.
i swap back and forth all the time and the might never comes on because the truck knows no difference between the clones and the real ones.
Old 10-10-13, 07:05 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bass Mech
when i bought new wheels for my 2009 tacoma discount tires used something called an easy sensor. they were programmed as clones from my factory ones. essentially they send the same signal and same RFID sognal as the stock ones did.
i swap back and forth all the time and the might never comes on because the truck knows no difference between the clones and the real ones.
That's interesting. Never heard of such a thing. Worth looking into.

Back to the original question . . .I think the car does have a switch, may be located in the glove box. But I am not sure exactly how it works. Maybe it is auto learn? You still may have to have the new set of TPMS's programmed by the dealer before you are able to go back and forth between sets.
Old 10-10-13, 09:30 AM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by moose66
That's interesting. Never heard of such a thing. Worth looking into.

Back to the original question . . .I think the car does have a switch, may be located in the glove box. But I am not sure exactly how it works. Maybe it is auto learn? You still may have to have the new set of TPMS's programmed by the dealer before you are able to go back and forth between sets.
I don't know why it matters, if you get 4 new wheels and clone the sensors, you don't need a switch, the car doesn't care and doesn't know what set of tires are on the car. it will simply display the pressure in each and show where located.
completely solves the problem of having to run 2 different sets of tires.

here found the info for you

http://www.ez-sensor.com/index.html

I think discount charged me 30-40 a piece, very reasonable
Old 10-10-13, 01:04 PM
bwk
Rookie

No our 3IS can not have 2 sets of TPMS stored in its memory
Old 10-10-13, 04:12 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bwk
No our 3IS can not have 2 sets of TPMS stored in its memory
Are you sure? I heard there was switch in the glove box for Summer and Winter!? There is after market device that lets you program that in.

ATEQ QuickSet TPMS Reset Tool : Amazon.com : Automotive ATEQ QuickSet TPMS Reset Tool : Amazon.com : Automotive
Old 10-10-13, 11:33 PM
zabone
Rookie

oy. well whats the downside of running without tpms? I know there is a light, but is there a beeping noise like when you don't wear your seatbelt?
Old 10-11-13, 06:08 AM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by zabone
oy. well whats the downside of running without tpms? I know there is a light, but is there a beeping noise like when you don't wear your seatbelt?
I don't have my car yet but when I read the online manual it stated warning lights will be displayed. I would think you should be able to turn the warning light from keep displaying but my guess is they don't because it's safety concern.
Old 10-11-13, 06:16 AM
bwk
Rookie

Originally Posted by SonyHome
Are you sure? I heard there was switch in the glove box for Summer and Winter!? There is after market device that lets you program that in.

ATEQ QuickSet TPMS Reset Tool : Amazon.com : Automotive
I'm positive, I just purchased a set of winter tires and they can not program a second set of sensors to the vehicle
Old 10-11-13, 06:28 AM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bwk
I'm positive, I just purchased a set of winter tires and they can not program a second set of sensors to the vehicle
I need to get second set of tires for winter as well! You probably need to buy the tool like ATEQ so you can reprogram each time.

Did they have this on 2IS and remove it from 3IS? I guess I would not be surprised considering all the things they removed from 3IS F Sport.
Old 10-11-13, 09:20 AM
superrobin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wanted to run a second set of wheels/tires for winter too ... I asked my dealer if my 2IS TPMS equiped rims would work ... but tthey avoided answering by saying the 2011 17" rim would not fit my 2014 ....

On the 2IS I scrolled through the dash menu and changed to 2nd TPMS there

I still don't know about my 3IS!
Old 10-11-13, 04:57 PM
amoney805
Pole Position

From what my local tire shops are telling me, running two sets of tpms shouldn't be a problem. Once you get them programmed to the car, you should be able to swap them freely.
Old 10-11-13, 09:50 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by amoney805
From what my local tire shops are telling me, running two sets of tpms shouldn't be a problem. Once you get them programmed to the car, you should be able to swap them freely.
Some cars can store two sets in the system so you don't have to keep programming it! We were hoping 3IS did this too...