IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Growing Impatient . . . anyone cancel?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-13, 10:16 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Growing Impatient . . . anyone cancel?

Just growing more and more impatient as I read all of the threads. Especially those of you who have received your vehicles in a relative short period of time. It has been over two months with no car in sight for me. And little or no info from the dealer. I guess what upsets me the most is that the dealership has my grand deposit sitting in their account. And I have nothing but a promise of a car to come. I still can't quite understand how the cars are allocated. And I still don't think I ordered anything special. Oh well, I guess I will just keep waiting it out. Has anyone said the heck with waiting and canceled their order?
Old 10-09-13, 10:22 AM
alexlude
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is your order a fully customized order or do you know if a car has been allocated to your dealer that fits your criteria? If it is the former, expect 4 month waiting time. If the latter, you should have a production/delivery date established.
Old 10-09-13, 10:31 AM
Skinnyfats
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could fly out to Miami or Los Angeles and buy a car for under sticker. Shipping, air fare, hotel, car rental you will about break even if you get 3K off sticker.

I almost went this route.
Old 10-09-13, 10:41 AM
kabgolf1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by moose66
Just growing more and more impatient as I read all of the threads. Especially those of you who have received your vehicles in a relative short period of time. It has been over two months with no car in sight for me. And little or no info from the dealer. I guess what upsets me the most is that the dealership has my grand deposit sitting in their account. And I have nothing but a promise of a car to come. I still can't quite understand how the cars are allocated. And I still don't think I ordered anything special. Oh well, I guess I will just keep waiting it out. Has anyone said the heck with waiting and canceled their order?
Do not feel bad. My dealer was given little to no information as well and I ordered back in May. In fact, other than the order being confirmed on May 20th, there was no information from Lexus until my car was built and it landed into my dealer's allocation. I had to give a 5K non refundable deposit for mine being that it is a RWD model in a region where basically AWD are the model of choice.
Old 10-09-13, 10:42 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by alexlude
Is your order a fully customized order or do you know if a car has been allocated to your dealer that fits your criteria? If it is the former, expect 4 month waiting time. If the latter, you should have a production/delivery date established.
I wouldn't say it is overly optioned out. Typical stuff on a non-sport RWD. Maybe the only option not typical is the rear sunshade. It seems as though that is missing from all of the cars I view online. Also don't see many black wi/gray leather out there.
Old 10-09-13, 10:43 AM
sloosh
Driver

I placed a special order for my car back in July as I was told by the dealership there would be no RWDs coming into the entire east coast unless they were SOs. Then last week my brother in law (who wanted the same car) calls up a larger dealership about 1.5 hours away who say they've got 2 there with 6 more coming in. He picked up his last Saturday in the color scheme he wanted, mine is on a truck right now and will be there anytime between this Saturday and next Tuesday. Another small added benefit is we're getting a few extras we initially didn't care about - ML, VGRS, etc.

I see you're in NC so if you want to try giving Lindsay Lexus in Alexandria, VA a call to see if they have what you want I'd suggest doing it.
Old 10-09-13, 10:43 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kabgolf1
Do not feel bad. My dealer was given little to no information as well and I ordered back in May. In fact, other than the order being confirmed on May 20th, there was no information from Lexus until my car was built and it landed into my dealer's allocation. I had to give a 5K non refundable deposit for mine being that it is a RWD model in a region where basically AWD are the model of choice.
Well that does make things somewhat better. 5K though? Wow. Seems like an awfully high deposit.
Old 10-09-13, 10:46 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Skinnyfats
You could fly out to Miami or Los Angeles and buy a car for under sticker. Shipping, air fare, hotel, car rental you will about break even if you get 3K off sticker.

I almost went this route.
Thought about that. Did that when I bought my GS. Flew to Houston and drove it home to NC.
Old 10-09-13, 10:50 AM
kabgolf1
Lead Lap

Well that does make things somewhat better. 5K though? Wow. Seems like an awfully high deposit.
It is because I special ordered 350 F-Sport RWD white/red with BSM, VGRS, Radar Cruise, NAV/ML, Rear Shade. My dealer said that if I were to back out of the deal, they would take a beating on the car because it would not sell. They sell 90% AWD 250. I know this because when I bought my 2008 RWD IS350 from them, it had been sitting on the showroom floor for 9 months. I got the 08 for 30% discount from sticker as there was no interest in the car at all. Right place at the right time.
Old 10-09-13, 10:54 AM
sloosh
Driver

Originally Posted by kabgolf1
It is because I special ordered 350 F-Sport RWD white/red with BSM, VGRS, Radar Cruise, NAV/ML, Rear Shade. My dealer said that if I were to back out of the deal, they would take a beating on the car because it would not sell. They sell 90% AWD 250. I know this because when I bought my 2008 RWD IS350 from them, it had been sitting on the showroom floor for 9 months. I got the 08 for 30% discount from sticker as there was no interest in the car at all. Right place at the right time.
The higher deposit doesn't really help them does it? When I special ordered my car, I was told the deposit was 100% refundable.
Old 10-09-13, 11:03 AM
kabgolf1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sloosh
The higher deposit doesn't really help them does it? When I special ordered my car, I was told the deposit was 100% refundable.
There was a previous thread about deposits. In RI you have 3 business day to cancel a contract in order to receive the deposit back otherwise the deposit is forfeited unless the party agrees to refund it to you.
Old 10-09-13, 11:10 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sloosh
If nothing else, it helps their cash flow. Money in the door and nothing going out for weeks, months, mayber ever . . . . . .if you are locked in and for some reason have a change of heart.
Old 10-09-13, 11:21 AM
JGard18
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to go way off target here, but man, this is something Tesla has gotten right. Dealerships absolutely suck. Let manufacturer's list their cars on their websites, you go build how you want it, then they start building it and ship it to you within 2-3 months. No being duped by the dealership, no waiting and wondering what happens, etc.

I sure hope they win their battles against a few idiotic state governments to let them "sell" cars in their states (my former state of MA and current of TX are both guilty)
Old 10-09-13, 12:12 PM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

If you ordered a car which is not already in the pipline (in process of production or in transit, allocated to the dealer), the timeline is something like this: Your order is received by the system on the 20th of month which occurs after your order. Then there is about a two month wait until productrion. Figure about thirty days to make the voyage from Japan to the Northeast. Then another week or to for the car to arrive at the dealership.
Old 10-09-13, 12:41 PM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CtSFox
If you ordered a car which is not already in the pipline (in process of production or in transit, allocated to the dealer), the timeline is something like this: Your order is received by the system on the 20th of month which occurs after your order. Then there is about a two month wait until productrion. Figure about thirty days to make the voyage from Japan to the Northeast. Then another week or to for the car to arrive at the dealership.
Looks like I am going to be creeping into A December to Remember!

Quick Reply: Growing Impatient . . . anyone cancel?