What's Wrong w/ This Car Wash Regimen?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-13, 04:14 PM
magne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You use the car.
That's why you get swirls

Just letting the car sit outside on a day with lots of wind and dust in the air will leave swirls in the paint.
So will driving behind other cars that wirls up dust from the road.

The good thing about swirls is that they are easy to remove.

Only advice I can give you is to use microfiber instead of wool when washing, as the hair in the wool will hold on to small particles better than microfiber mittens.

Don't know what color you have, but I've read that the black non metallic lexus paint is very soft.
If this is true, it can leave swirls if touch the paint with anything when washing, just because of the thin layer of dirt that sticks to the car until you use a mitt to get it of.
I've even delt with paint so soft that I've gotten swirls when wiping of polish ressidue with a microfiber cloth. (early 2000' saab paint, known to be VERY soft)

If you want a solution to this problem. Vinylwrap the car
Old 10-27-13, 04:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Swirls are created by rubbing the paint in a circular motion, not by sitting outside or driving the car.

I would go to a chenille microfiber mitt or pad to wash, and make sure you're washing in straight line motions not circular motions.
Old 10-28-13, 01:07 PM
magne
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Swirls are created by rubbing the paint in a circular motion, not by sitting outside or driving the car.

I would go to a chenille microfiber mitt or pad to wash, and make sure you're washing in straight line motions not circular motions.
I would also refer to tiny scratches as swirls. Those scratches that that almost does not qualify as scratches. These you get when driving to dust and similar.
Washing in straight mines instead of circular will leave other markes instead. You'll get dirt and water lines..
Old 10-29-13, 12:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by magne
I would also refer to tiny scratches as swirls. Those scratches that that almost does not qualify as scratches. These you get when driving to dust and similar.
Washing in straight mines instead of circular will leave other markes instead. You'll get dirt and water lines..
Washing is always going to mar the paint, regardless of how careful you are. The reason washing in straight lines is better is because any marring will be less visible, because light only catches in it at certain angles. When you wash and wipe in a circle the marring is circular, and is viewable from all angles.

"Swirls" are swirls. Tiny scratches are not swirls.
Old 10-31-13, 06:16 PM
hoosier1
Driver

Many car washes capture used water in an underground tank for recycling through a filtration system. Depending on the integrity of the filter, you could be sand blasting your paint using dirty recirculating water. The water in one car wash had a sewage odor, so I will avoid that one in the future.

Also note in your owners manual that you should never use a pressure water nozzle close to the window glass, as the protective glass coating may be damaged.

I do use car washes on occasion, especially in the winter, and carry an Absorber chamois in the trunk to immediately dry the car. But, it's best to wash the car in your driveway when the paint is cool and not in direct sunlight.

My Harley is black and chrome, and I have never used a hose to wash the bike. Detailer spray and microfiber towels have resulted in no swirl marks, but it's impossible to maintain a car in this manner unless you have a show car.
Old 11-06-13, 08:23 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by JL25
I have cquartz finest on mine and starting to see swirls. I use the three bucket method with grit guards. Actually have 2 grit guards in the buckets. Use sheepskin mitt and a leaf blower to dry. I used the same tips as Todd Cooperider as mentioned in the post above. Any idea what I'm doing wrong and tips? Probably dumb question, but is it just the cquartz coating that has the swirls or is it on the paint now?
PMing your for more details