IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Custom Clear bra - full wrap vs. partial - opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-13, 03:47 PM
Oxytocin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alexlude
Where in CA did you get your work done? Any pics of the job? what brand did your Installer use? VentureShield or Xpel?
I'm in the Bay Area, the guy's in Belmont. I found him on yelp, he has an average of 4.6/5 review. There was also another place nearby him that had more reviews and 4.3/5. He used Suntek. The other place has Xpel Ultimate, but after a lot of consideration and rationality, I went with the first guy, AutoProFilms. He also did my tints. I went 30% for the rear and back windows, 70% for the front windows and windshield all for $700 with 3M crystalline. I think $300 alone was for the windshield. I meant to do 90% for the windshield, but some how that slipped my mind and I said 70%. So I just drive around with the sunroof cover slid back.

I can take some pics tomorrow, the sun is getting orange and my eyes kinda hurt. I just came back from spot cleaning tree sap off my hood, I was too lazy to put on my sunglasses this time and the Ultra White paint blinded me.
Old 10-09-13, 03:59 PM
alexlude
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Oxytocin
I'm in the Bay Area, the guy's in Belmont. I found him on yelp, he has an average of 4.6/5 review. There was also another place nearby him that had more reviews and 4.3/5. He used Suntek. The other place has Xpel Ultimate, but after a lot of consideration and rationality, I went with the first guy, AutoProFilms. He also did my tints. I went 30% for the rear and back windows, 70% for the front windows and windshield all for $700 with 3M crystalline. I think $300 alone was for the windshield. I meant to do 90% for the windshield, but some how that slipped my mind and I said 70%. So I just drive around with the sunroof cover slid back.

I can take some pics tomorrow, the sun is getting orange and my eyes kinda hurt. I just came back from spot cleaning tree sap off my hood, I was too lazy to put on my sunglasses this time and the Ultra White paint blinded me.

Funny, I was looking to go with Rob as well (i'm in the bay area). I have yet to call him for a price quote.. are you happy with his work? (scale out of 10) Did he warranty the materials / labor and if so for how long? Thx in advance.
Old 10-09-13, 05:01 PM
John510
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mines done. 650$. Im sure the guys who are charging 2K are a lot nicer but I only plan on having my car for 2 more years before I trade it in again so 2K is a bit steep unless you plan on keeping your car forever. You cant see mine in the picture but the line is about 1/4 way up the hood and fenders. Im happy. No more chips.

Old 10-09-13, 05:01 PM
Oxytocin
Driver

Funny, I was looking to go with Rob as well (i'm in the bay area). I have yet to call him for a price quote.. are you happy with his work? (scale out of 10) Did he warranty the materials / labor and if so for how long? Thx in advance.
Yeah, Rob is very nice. He did a really careful job. I think its an 8.5 or 9. I would consider a 10 as no visible lines at all, with 9 being lines at crucial junctions/curves of the car. I would say closer to the 8.5 only because it was the first 3IS he's done, so mine was the test subject. Now with experience I'm sure he can do even better. Where there are lines he makes it so it looks like it's part of the car, especially on the side mirrors since its not a full wrap. He did just the front up to the side, but you cant see the line unless you run your hands over it.

One thing I may suggest is doing the full rear doors instead of my partial ones, because I can see some scruff from the front tires above the film, so pretty much it needs a bit more coverage. He'll ask you to come back in a couple days so he can fix any remaining air bubbles and smooth out some areas.

I know the tint was warrantied, but I forgot to ask about the PPF, I can ask tomorrow when I go back. He's putting back my F Sport badges cause he took them off to do the fenders, one got messed up and he's been trying to order the correct one for over a month now (I did the tints and PPF mid August) and somehow they keep sending him the ISF badges. So I've been driving around with my right badge off, and everyone has asked me why I removed it or people would ask if I noticed that my right badge was stolen. Freaks me out every time someone brings it up cause I'll think it's one of the other badges.

I can take pics tomorrow.
Old 10-10-13, 01:19 PM
Oxytocin
Driver

Where in CA did you get your work done? Any pics of the job? what brand did your Installer use? VentureShield or Xpel?
So I went back to Rob today for my badge, he said that he uses VentureShield. He mentioned that he'll get Scotch Guard in the future when they make large film rolls. From our talk he said he doesn't like Xpel, I don't want to get into it and start any what's better arguments but you can call him and ask for his reasons. One thing I will say is that VentureShield is also 'self-healing' but 3M doesn't promote it as hard as Xpel.

Here are some pics I took, I'm not the best at capturing good angels, but I can take better shots if you'd like.

This is the area where there are two pieces that meet, the F Sports bumper was too curvy for him to do it with one piece of film. The line is darker cause it's dusty from the nearby hills, but when it's clean you can barely see it.

Same with the rear bumper, not noticeable at all unless it was pointed out. And it's in a corner no passerby looks at.

Slightly off topic, but how level is everyone's F Sport badges? When he put them back, it's a bit slanted, not sure if that's normal. He did align the prongs correctly with the holes.
Old 10-10-13, 01:23 PM
vbx
Lead Lap

This is the area where there are two pieces that meet, the F Sports bumper was too curvy for him to do it with one piece of film. The line is darker cause it's dusty from the nearby hills, but when it's clean you can barely see it.

Same with the rear bumper, not noticeable at all unless it was pointed out. And it's in a corner no passerby looks at.
I'm not feeling those lines. Anyone who clear-bra their ride have these lines on their bumper?
Old 10-10-13, 01:29 PM
alexlude
Lead Lap

So I went back to Rob today for my badge, he said that he uses VentureShield. He mentioned that he'll get Scotch Guard in the future when they make large film rolls. From our talk he said he doesn't like Xpel, I don't want to get into it and start any what's better arguments but you can call him and ask for his reasons. One thing I will say is that VentureShield is also 'self-healing' but 3M doesn't promote it as hard as Xpel.

Here are some pics I took, I'm not the best at capturing good angels, but I can take better shots if you'd like.

Slightly off topic, but how level is everyone's F Sport badges? When he put them back, it's a bit slanted, not sure if that's normal. He did align the prongs correctly with the holes.

Thanks for the pics -- can you tell the difference in paint color from the spots you clear bra'd and the spots that are not clear bra'd since you have a white car? I'm planning to get ultra white as well and since my last car was blue and clear bra'd you could hardly tell but how is it with white? is it a different shade of white with the bra on?
Old 10-10-13, 02:31 PM
f111f444
Pole Position

Wow very expensive for just clear wrap!!!!
Old 10-10-13, 02:46 PM
Oxytocin
Driver

Originally Posted by vbx
I'm not feeling those lines. Anyone who clear-bra their ride have these lines on their bumper?
The installer explained that it's nearly impossible to get these two places without lines, unless you take off the bumper. If you try to use one continuous piece then there will be folds or creases in the film, and the density of the film from stretched areas will be obvious. Honestly, no one can see these two areas.

Thanks for the pics -- can you tell the difference in paint color from the spots you clear bra'd and the spots that are not clear bra'd since you have a white car? I'm planning to get ultra white as well and since my last car was blue and clear bra'd you could hardly tell but how is it with white? is it a different shade of white with the bra on?
You can't see the difference, and since I did the full hood and fenders it makes it even harder to tell. However, when you're up close and personal you can see there is a film on the car, which there is, it doesn't look like metal, obviously. But from a normal distance no one has yet to notice until I mention the clear bra.
Old 10-10-13, 03:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Originally Posted by vbx
My GS has a couple lines like that, the bumpers are just so curvy they have no choice, the film won't stretch and lay into the valley without there being a break.
Old 10-10-13, 03:38 PM
alexlude
Lead Lap

yuppp better those lines than damn chips and scratches a few months later!!
Old 10-10-13, 03:44 PM
John510
Lead Lap

Here is mine. Mine is a precut 3M ventureshield. 650$ for partial hood, fenders, bumper and mirrors. Got it done in Pleasanton, CA

Last edited by John510; 10-10-13 at 03:59 PM.
Old 10-10-13, 03:49 PM
alexlude
Lead Lap

John510, is that precut kit or did the installer precut based on measurements then apply?
Old 10-10-13, 03:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

You do have a line, I can see it, its just in a different place. Yours doesn't cover as deep in that recess as the poster with the white one's does.
Old 10-10-13, 03:57 PM
John510
Lead Lap

John510, is that precut kit or did the installer precut based on measurements then apply?
Its a precut kit from 3M.

Originally Posted by SW13GS
You do have a line, I can see it, its just in a different place. Yours doesn't cover as deep in that recess as the poster with the white one's does.

Ok let me rephrase that. I dont have that seam on the side of my bumper but there are lines yes.

Last edited by John510; 10-10-13 at 04:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Custom Clear bra - full wrap vs. partial - opinions?