IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Whats worth getting on a new car

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-13, 07:35 AM
jokim
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats worth getting on a new car

When getting a new IS 350, what extras that the dealers offer are worth getting? What did you guys choose and why?

Such as the tire warranty, extended warranty, low jack, vin # etching, extended warranty etc..
Old 10-08-13, 07:39 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

None of the above. In most cases all of the things you mentioned are huge money makers for the dealership. To me none of it is really needed. But, if you really want that stuff you can find it cheaper by shopping around.
Old 10-08-13, 08:17 AM
carderoni
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Extended warranties almost never pay off. Learned the hard way. They may say they are 'bumper to bumper' but they always include exclusions for wear and tear. Hoses, belts, etc aren't covered, damage from rocks/debris won't be covered, and a lot of dealerships will try to weasel their way out of covering things like window regulators due to wear.
Old 10-08-13, 08:51 AM
alexlude
Lead Lap

I'm on the fence with extended warranty. With all the new electronics in the 3IS, any failure will probably be over $2.5k price tag.

Aside, where can you "shop around" for an extended warranty that the dealer can honor?
Old 10-08-13, 08:57 AM
isthree50
Rookie

I've been in the car business for 9 years the only thing I ever get is GAP...... This also depends if your financing and on how much you put down if you put $10k down for example really no reason to get gap the extended warranty is good but how long do you keep your cars? You also have the option of buying the extended warranty before your factory warranty expires so you also have the option to drive the car for a year or two make sure you are going to keep the car for a long time before you spend the money on and extended warranty
Old 10-08-13, 08:57 AM
Dark9t316
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by alexlude
I'm on the fence with extended warranty. With all the new electronics in the 3IS, any failure will probably be over $2.5k price tag.

Aside, where can you "shop around" for an extended warranty that the dealer can honor?
With electronics nowadays, they are designed to break long after warranty period. Not to say that our fancy LCD screen won't break after 2 years, but statistically speaking, the dealer would not be offering you warranty if it knows the car is prone to have costly fixes, thus is how they make money. Concept isn't all that different than buying warranty for electronics at bestbuy.
Old 10-08-13, 11:07 AM
PhoenixOne
Rookie

We went with the GAP insurance as well. For that low one time payment, it gives us piece of mind if anything happens. We purchased the 5 year extended warranty for her '09 and recently found out that the extended warranty doesn't start after the factory runs out but instead, it's active once purchased...which makes NO sense whatsoever. That means once the factory runs out, we only had 2 years left on the extended. *Scratches head*. This time, we found out that our car insurance has extended bumper to bumper warranty at a very low per monthly price which we were already paying for.
Old 10-08-13, 11:12 AM
alexlude
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PhoenixOne
We went with the GAP insurance as well. For that low one time payment, it gives us piece of mind if anything happens. We purchased the 5 year extended warranty for her '09 and recently found out that the extended warranty doesn't start after the factory runs out but instead, it's active once purchased...which makes NO sense whatsoever. That means once the factory runs out, we only had 2 years left on the extended. *Scratches head*. This time, we found out that our car insurance has extended bumper to bumper warranty at a very low per monthly price which we were already paying for.
Oh nice, your car insurance has extended bumper to bumper warranty at low monthly price? What insurance company do you have? I have State Farm and wonder if they cover something like that.

So all you have to do is pay your deductible and get the item fixed?

Will need to look into this... Thanks
Old 10-08-13, 11:22 AM
Skinnyfats
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only thing I normally get is GAP I have burned one time before never again. Got hit by an uninsured motorist totaled my car. Insurance was 5K short on paying the car off. So I was without a car and 5K in the hole. Paying for a car you no longer can drive isn't fun.
Old 10-08-13, 11:31 AM
PhoenixOne
Rookie

Originally Posted by Skinnyfats
Only thing I normally get is GAP I have burned one time before never again. Got hit by an uninsured motorist totaled my car. Insurance was 5K short on paying the car off. So I was without a car and 5K in the hole. Paying for a car you no longer can drive isn't fun.
EXACTLY! Just for that reason, in my opinion, it's worth it.
Old 10-08-13, 12:17 PM
vbx
Lead Lap

I didn't get extended warranty on my G35 until the original factory warranty was about to expire. I only paid about $800 for an additional 4 years and it was well worth it. Saved me over 3k so far.
Old 10-08-13, 01:34 PM
PhoenixOne
Rookie

Originally Posted by vbx
I didn't get extended warranty on my G35 until the original factory warranty was about to expire. I only paid about $800 for an additional 4 years and it was well worth it. Saved me over 3k so far.
Now that's how it's supposed to work. Back in '09, finance manager said it would kick in after the factory warranty runs out. Fast forward to '13, we find out from the warranty company that it has been active since we purchased the vehicle. For those getting extended warranty while getting your new ride, I would call the warranty company and double check that it indeed kicks in after the factory warranty expires.
Old 10-08-13, 01:42 PM
Dark9t316
Lead Lap

I've never spent more than few hundred dollars fixing a Japanese car, and these expense are incurred long after the warranty period is over.
Old 10-08-13, 01:48 PM
vbx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PhoenixOne
Now that's how it's supposed to work. Back in '09, finance manager said it would kick in after the factory warranty runs out. Fast forward to '13, we find out from the warranty company that it has been active since we purchased the vehicle. For those getting extended warranty while getting your new ride, I would call the warranty company and double check that it indeed kicks in after the factory warranty expires.
That sucks. Was the extended warranty from the dealer or through a 3rd party?
Old 10-08-13, 01:56 PM
PhoenixOne
Rookie

Originally Posted by vbx
That sucks. Was the extended warranty from the dealer or through a 3rd party?
Dealer............

Quick Reply: Whats worth getting on a new car