IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Can someone who actually owns Atomic Silver describe it...

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-13, 01:45 PM
KeyserS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can someone who actually owns Atomic Silver describe it...

For this challenge, the prerequisites are:

1. You actually do own the atomic silver car, and are not motivated to respond just because you have all the answers to everything,

2. You have a talent for written descriptions of things that are visual.

Okay, the thing is, I still have not seen Atomic Silver in person. And I have heard conflicting reports of what it looks like. I don't know if some of these people just don't know how to accurately describe anything, or they've never actually seen the car, or what exactly.

Is it more reflective than the other kind of silver? Is it significantly darker? Is there a hint of beige to it? Is there a hint of blue to it? Does it resemble metal more closely than any other car paint that you've ever seen? Does it have lots and lots of itty bitty flakes of metal that you can hardly make out individually except by looking up close with your reading glasses on?
Old 10-05-13, 02:01 PM
JLex23
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's the best color available by far
Attached Thumbnails Can someone who actually owns Atomic Silver describe it...-image.jpg  
Old 10-05-13, 02:08 PM
aTeAse
Lead Lap

It's a nice color.

I won't say much about it though:

Just came back from the dealer 2 days ago. Thought it looked nice, very reflective. Definitely better than the plain o'l boring silver 75% of the people get when they buy a car.

My old car is beige/tan, it does seem to have a slight hint of beige.

This is why I now own a white 3IS.
Old 10-05-13, 02:25 PM
JLex23
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It certainly does not have beige in it. It is really reflective and looks different depending on the lighting
Attached Thumbnails Can someone who actually owns Atomic Silver describe it...-image.jpg  
Old 10-05-13, 02:27 PM
Jimt9
Driver School Candidate

I have atomic silver and I just love it. Originally I was going to get black but after I saw atomic silver in the showroom I knew that was the color for me. During thr bright sun it is a very bright silver, at night it has a gold hue to it. I have gotten nothing but compliments on the color.
Attached Thumbnails Can someone who actually owns Atomic Silver describe it...-lexus-3.jpg   Can someone who actually owns Atomic Silver describe it...-lexus-1.jpg  
Old 10-05-13, 02:43 PM
magne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've seen the color several times, and almost bought the car in Atomic silver, but changed my mind the very last second.

The atomic silver looks really nice, and it sort of looks like brushed metal when bright lights hits it.
The reason I changed my mind is that the color has a slight tone of gold in it, especially when it is cloudy outside. The slight gold tone makes the color looks a bit "off" to me. In some angles it looks slightly champagne, and reminds me off gold or champagne color that elderly people tend to buy cars in.
However, when it is bright outside and all the sparkle pops form the paint, the color looks really cool, both bmw and audi have some grey colors that are pretty close, but without the gold tone.
If you like the slight gold tone, deffently buy the car in that color!
If you're afraid to be put of by it, see the color in different lights before you decide..

Some more pics that display the color in different lights.
Attached Thumbnails Can someone who actually owns Atomic Silver describe it...-lexus-sonic-2.jpg   Can someone who actually owns Atomic Silver describe it...-lexus-sonic-3.jpg   Can someone who actually owns Atomic Silver describe it...-lexus2.jpg   Can someone who actually owns Atomic Silver describe it...-lexus1.jpg  
Old 10-05-13, 02:43 PM
aTeAse
Lead Lap

Well, it has someone of a gold hue then?^
Old 10-05-13, 03:02 PM
KeyserS
Rookie

Thanks for the several excellent pictures and a couple of excellent descriptions, especially from magne. The inherent problem with digital photographs is that the white balance is rarely set optimally in the camera to match the actual light, and even if it were, computer monitors are rarely calibrated. The screen on my MB Pro has LED lighting, whereas the larger LCD monitor I use concurrently with it is older and has florescent tubes. The colors look very different on the two displays. I've tried to calibrate the color on the older display, on numerous occasions, and eventually decided that the light from the florescent tubes just can't be made white, and therefore the screen can't be "calibrated". Concerning the issue with the cameras themselves, the pictures from Jimt9. The reflective, shiny aspect of the paint comes through clearly, but the color has an obvious blue tint to it, which you do not see at all in the other pictures. In fact, not to beat up on Jimt9, but in his pictures all of the shadows look blue, and all color is greatly over-saturated. It makes for an interesting picture, but does not give you a realistic depiction of what anything actually looks like. But the descriptions are very helpful, and I think I have a sense of what it looks like. No substitute for seeing one in person of course, but I expect I will be placing the order early next week. I think I would like this color a lot, and it probably is a very practical color compared to black, but I've never had a black car and in recent years I've been thinking that my next car would be black. So I'm leaning toward obsidian with flaxen leather interior. Real leather, naturally. There will be aftermarket grills, and I expect it is easily possible to buy and install the lovely F-Sport grill. But gotta have the real leather, and gotta have that touch of wood, even if it isn't much. In fact, I would say that that touch of wood is right around the right amount.
Old 10-05-13, 03:05 PM
KeyserS
Rookie

Originally Posted by aTeAse
Well, it has someone of a gold hue then?^
It sounds like the color changes slightly in hue depending on how diffuse the light it. It sounds like in direct light such as you get on a sunny day you don't see any gold or beige and it takes on a sort of brushed metal, perhaps nickel look, whereas in diffuse light such as a cloudy day, you see just a slight hint of gold or beige.
Old 10-05-13, 03:30 PM
John510
Lead Lap

Ive seen one in person and when the sun its there is a gold tinted pearl in it. Im assuming this is because there is gold flake in the paint. Almost a champagne color over a gunmetal if that makes sense.
Old 10-05-13, 05:05 PM
magne
Lead Lap

Try to google the european name of the color for more pictures.
In Europe the color is named "sonic titanium".

I find the color very interesting, but it just wasen't quite my taste. It will most certanly be easier to maintain than black. Just becuse silver colors does not show swirls and stonechips as good as black does.

I know that it will not be easy to see a good picture of this color, as all pictures I've seen does not match the color on my computer compared to what it looks like in real life.

If you have a plasma tv and some sort of media system, like ps3, x-box or windows media center on your tv, try to display the pictures form google on your tv.
Plasma tvs are a lot better calibrated and shows colors more naturally than any pc screen will do.
Also, if someone can use a professional camera and not a compact camera to take the pictures, it will give a lot better result.
The first two pictures I posted in my last post shows the color pretty close on my pc screen to what I think it looked like when i saw it in real life and it was a bit cloudy.
Old 10-05-13, 07:49 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't meet the criteria because I don't own one, but my dealership had one in stock and I stood and admired it for at least 5 minutes from every angle because it is a unique color with lots of depth. Lexus put enough "gunmetal" in it for the color not to come off as an old-fashioned gold or champagne (kiss of death).

If Lexus offered Atomic Silver/Rioja Red in F Sport in the States it would be a no-brainer for me. Gorgeous color.
Old 10-06-13, 01:59 AM
alexlude
Lead Lap

best way i'd describe it is like a sharkskin hue... a drop of some olive in there...
Old 10-06-13, 03:17 AM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JLex23
It certainly does not have beige in it. It is really reflective and looks different depending on the lighting
Color is very nice!
Old 10-06-13, 08:56 AM
DJP31
Driver School Candidate

Can someone who actually owns Atomic Silver describe it...-2013-08-17-12.54.59.jpg

This is mine, it is a showroom shot but my other pics are too big to upload at the mo. The colours shown so far do the car justice and it is true to say the car does take on different hues depending on the light.

The guy that runs the Lexus dealership is a pal of mine and he said they have more compliments on this colour than any other.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Can someone who actually owns Atomic Silver describe it...