Old 11-26-14, 10:02 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car has had three problems since new, including:

POOR MPG’S,
POOR HEATED SEATS, and
SLOW / DELAYED RADIO / NAVIGATION SYSTEM

The car has been to several dealers multiple times, regional representatives involved in many instances.

After getting nowhere with Lexus Customer Service, I contacted Lexus’ Executive Offices, which put me in contact with an executive assistant who eventually deferred to regional representatives I previously dealt with. After a few phone calls, I asked that the problems either be resolved or that the car be replaced, at which point I was told there was nothing else to do but refer my matter to Lexus’ Lemon Law team, which just sent me the attached letter.

What does “the vehicle showed a lack of necessary maintenance” mean? My car just went in for its “Second Scheduled Maintenance Service” at 10k miles and previously had its “First Scheduled Maintenance Service” at 5k miles. What else could they be looking for? How should I respond?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails NAVIGATION SLOWNESS- Resolved-lexus.png  

Last edited by dbs600; 11-28-14 at 02:28 PM.
Old 11-26-14, 11:07 PM
Jlin89
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dbs600
My car has had three problems since new, including:

POOR MPG’S,
POOR HEATED SEATS, and
SLOW / DELAYED RADIO / NAVIGATION SYSTEM

The car has been to several dealers multiple times, many instances in which regional representatives were involved.

Unfortunately, Lexus always claimed the problems as being either “NORMAL”, “OPERATING AS DESIGNED” or “UNABLE TO DUPLICATE CONCERN”.

After getting nowhere with Lexus Customer Service, I contacted Lexus’ Executive Offices, which put me in contact with an executive assistant who eventually deferred to the regional representatives I previously dealt with. After a few phone calls, I asked that the problems either be resolved or that the car be replaced, at which point I was told there was nothing else to do but refer my matter to Lexus’ Lemon Law team, which just sent me the attached letter.

What kind of ridiculous runaround is this? What does “the vehicle showed a lack of necessary maintenance” mean? My car just went in for its “Second Scheduled Maintenance Service” at 10k miles and previously had its “First Scheduled Maintenance Service” at 5k miles. What else could they be looking for? How should I respond?

Thanks.
Are there any other problems associated with your car other than the three that you've mentioned? you can't just lemon law a car based on those factors alone, the defects must be severe enough to badly hurt the vehicle's value for it to be lemon law'd ex. multiple engine failures within a certain time frame. I google'd the lemon law for your state and highlighted the part that may pertain to you:

IN ADDITION TO ANY WARRANTIES OFFERED BY THE MANUFACTURER, YOUR NEW CAR, IF PURCHASED AND REGISTERED IN NEW YORK STATE, IS WARRANTED AGAINST ALL MATERIAL DEFECTS FOR EIGHTEEN THOUSAND MILES OR TWO YEARS, WHICHEVER COMES FIRST.

(2) YOU MUST REPORT ANY PROBLEMS TO THE MANUFACTURER, ITS AGENT, OR AUTHORIZED DEALER.

(3) UPON NOTIFICATION, THE PROBLEM MUST BE CORRECTED FREE OF CHARGE.

(4) IF THE SAME PROBLEM CANNOT BE REPAIRED AFTER FOUR OR MORE ATTEMPTS; OR IF YOUR CAR IS OUT OF SERVICE TO REPAIR A PROBLEM FOR A TOTAL OF THIRTY DAYS DURING THE WARRANTY PERIOD; OR IF THE MANUFACTURER OR ITS AGENT REFUSES TO REPAIR A SUBSTANTIAL DEFECT OR CONDITION WITHIN TWENTY DAYS OF RECEIPT OF NOTICE SENT BY YOU TO THE MANUFACTURER BY CERTIFIED MAIL, RETURN RECEIPT REQUESTED; THEN YOU MAY BE ENTITLED TO EITHER A COMPARABLE CAR OR A REFUND OF YOUR PURCHASE PRICE, PLUS LICENSE AND REGISTRATION FEES, MINUS A MILEAGE ALLOWANCE onLY IF THE VEHICLE HAS BEEN DRIVEN MORE THAN 12,000 MILES. SPECIAL NOTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS MAY APPLY TO MOTOR HOMES.

(5) A MANUFACTURER MAY DENY LIABILITY IF THE PROBLEM IS CAUSED BY ABUSE, NEGLECT, OR UNAUTHORIZED MODIFICATIONS OF THE CAR.

(6) A MANUFACTURER MAY REFUSE TO EXCHANGE A COMPARABLE CAR OR REFUND YOUR PURCHASE PRICE IF THE PROBLEM DOES NOT SUBSTANTIALLY IMPAIR THE VALUE OF YOUR CAR.

(7) IF A MANUFACTURER HAS ESTABLISHED AN ARBITRATION PROCEDURE, THE MANUFACTURER MAY REFUSE TO EXCHANGE A COMPARABLE CAR OR REFUND YOUR PURCHASE PRICE UNTIL YOU FIRST RESORT TO THE PROCEDURE.

(8) IF THE MANUFACTURER DOES NOT HAVE AN ARBITRATION PROCEDURE, YOU MAY RESORT TO ANY REMEDY BY LAW AND MAY BE ENTITLED TO YOUR ATTORNEY'S FEES IF YOU PREVAIL.

(9) NO CONTRACT OR AGREEMENT CAN VOID ANY OF THESE RIGHTS.

(10) AS AN ALTERNATIVE TO THE ARBITRATION PROCEDURE MADE AVAILABLE THROUGH THE MANUFACTURER, YOU MAY INSTEAD CHOOSE TO SUBMIT YOUR CLAIM TO AN INDEPENDENT ARBITRATOR, APPROVED BY THE ATTORNEY GENERAL. YOU MAY HAVE TO PAY A FEE FOR SUCH AN ARBITRATION. CONTACT YOUR LOCAL CONSUMER OFFICE OR ATTORNEY GENERAL'S OFFICE TO FIND OUT HOW TO ARRANGE FOR INDEPENDENT ARBITRATION.

Also, the poor MPG you're getting can be attributed to many different factors that may have nothing to do with engine defects such as the way you drive, the climate of your state, (winter gas, cold weather), vehicle load etc. All of which can greatly reduce MPG.

Either way, good luck with your claim, if they don't provide you with a replacement vehicle or refund, don't feel like you've been cheated, I was in the same boat last year.
Old 11-28-14, 10:02 AM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for your research and reply, Jlin89.

I suppose it turns on how substantial impairment is defined.

Any thoughts on what "the vehicle showed a lack of necessary maintenance" means?
Old 12-01-14, 12:30 PM
kinglexus99
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

2015 w/ no known issues/lag/reboots/etc. I noticed my version is different than the ones mentioned. Maybe the dealers can update the dysfunctional systems to match?
Attached Thumbnails NAVIGATION SLOWNESS- Resolved-photo.jpg  
Old 01-13-15, 02:33 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Anyone find the solution to getting our Navigation / Radio systems to work the way they should?

Still very slow and delayed with significant lag, which shouldn't be on a 2014 $50k car.

Anyone go from a 2014 IS to a 2015 IS? 2015 any faster / better?

What a mess!
Old 01-14-15, 08:47 AM
byro
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone find the solution to getting our Navigation / Radio systems to work the way they should?

Still very slow and delayed with significant lag, which shouldn't be on a 2014 $50k car.

Anyone go from a 2014 IS to a 2015 IS? 2015 any faster / better?

What a mess!
Have you turned off the Animation setting? I found that it helped tremendously.
Old 01-14-15, 09:12 AM
drbazing
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by byro
I tried to find it quickly while on a stop light. Is it in Navigation Settings or Car Settings?
Old 01-14-15, 09:20 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

I haven't seen such setting in 2014 MY. Maybe it's in 2015 model?
Old 01-14-15, 01:53 PM
byro
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dojoman
I haven't seen such setting in 2014 MY. Maybe it's in 2015 model?
I think it's:

Setup -> General -> Animation

I'll confirm later.
Old 07-27-15, 10:04 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

For those who’ve experienced navigation system hell, any luck having Lexus acknowledge and correct same? Thank you!
Old 07-28-15, 01:34 PM
RoiteTrom
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I think it's:

Setup -> General -> Animation

I'll confirm later.
Just checked my car, it doesn't have the animation button lol
Old 07-28-15, 02:08 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

For those who’ve experienced navigation system hell, any luck having Lexus acknowledge and correct same? Thank you!
Mine is still slower than I would like, but pretty reasonable. The latest firmware update loaded at the dealer has largely eliminated my system crashing and various tether/connectivity errors. I am no longer dealing with the daily frustrations.
Old 07-28-15, 04:41 PM
Baopee
Pit Crew

I have 2014 but I purchased newest version nav update + map (mini SD), it did not speed things up, still lagging.
Old 07-28-15, 05:11 PM
Stevent
Driver

Originally Posted by Baopee
I have 2014 but I purchased newest version nav update + map (mini SD), it did not speed things up, still lagging.
Try asking the dealer to do a firmware update (Different from the Map Update)
Old 07-28-15, 05:24 PM
Baopee
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Stevent
Try asking the dealer to do a firmware update (Different from the Map Update)
when I insert the SD card, it did download some updates, nut sure what they were thou.

Quick Reply: NAVIGATION SLOWNESS- Resolved