IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

What did your 2014 Lexus IS replace and what did you consider?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-13, 01:36 PM
enoren
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2014 replaced a 2009 IS. Before the '09 I considered BMW 3 series, Mercedes C-Class and the Cadillac CTS. I just liked the look of the Lexus better.

This time around, I considered waiting for the BMW 4 series before the new design was made public. Once I saw the F-Sport grill, there was no doubt that I was sticking with Lexus.
Old 09-29-13, 01:43 PM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by enoren
2014 replaced a 2009 IS. Before the '09 I considered BMW 3 series, Mercedes C-Class and the Cadillac CTS. I just liked the look of the Lexus better.

This time around, I considered waiting for the BMW 4 series before the new design was made public. Once I saw the F-Sport grill, there was no doubt that I was sticking with Lexus.
...and you saved yourself at least $12K in the process!
Old 09-29-13, 01:45 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Replaced a 2012 Genesis 4.6 with a 2014 Fsport. Genesis is a fine car. Worked flawlessly. Rich is tech e.g. adaptive cruise control, parking assist, pre-collision safety software, hill assist, electronic parking brake -- you name it BUT was no fun to drive unless I was accelerating -- the V8 was very nice. The ride/handling left a lot to be desired. I test drove a 2013 2IS Fsport cuz I was tempted by the big discount and then drove a 3IS. The 2IS reminded me of the Hyundai -- real 20th century ride/handing feel. The 3IS feels 21st century in ride/handling. In the end I realized I sometimes used the tech on the Genesis but I was all the time using the ride/handling so the Fsport was right for me.
Old 09-29-13, 01:48 PM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dbs600
I wanted ML and the power rear window shade too, but couldn't wait, was having a car crisis. Nice to special order exactly what you want! I hope the standard stereo isn’t that bad (actually didn’t even bother to listen to it).

Thanks for the thought. Yes, I saw a few RX F Sports on dealer lots, and you're right, the front is much better, but there's just something about the rear and rear 3/4 that I'm keen on, that and the fact that a neighbor two homes down has THREE of them! Otherwise, the interiors on them are GREAT.
The standard stereo in the IS is not bad at all. I listened to it and found it better than the one in my wife's Audi andmuch better than the stock system in my BMW 3 series.
Old 09-29-13, 01:56 PM
ddb
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2014 IS350 F is replacing my 2011 IS350. Did not consider anything else except that maybe I will be trading this one for the RC350 F in a couple of years
Old 09-29-13, 03:25 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CtSFox
The standard stereo in the IS is not bad at all. I listened to it and found it better than the one in my wife's Audi andmuch better than the stock system in my BMW 3 series.
Yes, whether stock, premium, Harman Kardon, etc. BMW systems SUCK.

Last edited by dbs600; 09-29-13 at 07:12 PM.
Old 09-29-13, 03:30 PM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dbs600
Yes, whether stock, premium, Harmon Kardon, etc. BMW systems SUCK.
I agree. Although I loved how my '02 3 series performed, the HK was disappointing. The system in my son's base Subaru Imprezza was much better. I auditioned the premium HK in BMW 335 recently and found it only to be louder to my ear, not better.
Old 09-29-13, 06:54 PM
grondie
Merkur Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Replaced 08 IS-F. A change is jobs meant going from working from home 75% of the time to commuting 5 days a week and as much as I loved the IS-F, a good commuter car it is not. After seeing the first pics of the 3IS, I wasn't sure - but, after seeing it in person at the local dealer event, I was sold.

Anyway, I did test drive the Focus ST, which I must say is one of the best FWD cars I've ever driven. However, the handbrake location meant that it was stabbing me in the knee which ruled that out (6'5, long legs).
Old 09-29-13, 08:44 PM
amoney805
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I traded in my 08' IS350. No other cars in its class caught my eye except the A4 but it's underpowered.

I considered a BMW 5 series but the extra cost in insurance and gas didn't make sense since I would never utilize the extra size.(fiance drives the family car).

So far I'm in love with my 350 Fsport. It reignited my love for driving. A feeling I never felt with the 2is.
Old 09-29-13, 09:30 PM
mojeda
Driver School Candidate

My IS350 F-Sport replaced a 2003 IS300. I really wanted the IS-F, however after learning the 2014 model will be a coup only I set my sights one level down. I'm really happy with the choice however and I love the new front end.
Old 09-30-13, 02:44 AM
kesh550
Rookie

2009 CLS 550 Mercedes Benz
Old 09-30-13, 06:48 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by vbx
Steer by wire is an option. Not sure why they think this will catch on. I also saw a review on youtube where they claimed that there is an "artificial" vibration added to make it feel like a normal steering wheel.

I won't trust my life on electronic steering. Anyone see the news where a hack group claims they can hack into cars and control it? Cars controlled by drive by wire and brake by wire can get hacked.
how can you hack and control it? The steering system only responds to the driver input Theres no antenna patched into the system to enable remote control over the steering system. I have a feeling in the future steer by wire is going to make its way in, just like throttle by wire and electric power steering. It eliminates a steering shaft and will make a car lighter and reducing the packaging of the steering system.

They have been doing this on commercial and military planes for decades already
Old 09-30-13, 12:22 PM
c3po33
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vbx
Steer by wire is an option. Not sure why they think this will catch on. I also saw a review on youtube where they claimed that there is an "artificial" vibration added to make it feel like a normal steering wheel.

Yes an option on the most base car, if you get the car with any really nice packages it's included in those packages. So unless you want a base car ( or very little options) your stuck with the steer by wire.
Old 09-30-13, 12:33 PM
IS350S2K
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Not replacing but adding to stable. Tired of not having a nice car to drive around in with friends. Keep the Fit as my commuter, the S2K as the track car, and the IS for everything else.
Old 09-30-13, 12:42 PM
MrBlonde
Driver School Candidate

IS300h F-Sport will replace my faithful Audi TT-S.

Alternatives? Neither A4 nor 3-series (owned an M3 and a 330Ci M before) can compare in terms of interior design and build quality.
Also, every other car in Switzerland is one of these two, so the only way to find your car in a parking lot owning one of them, is by remotely unlocking the car and watch out for the indicator lights.

Quick Reply: What did your 2014 Lexus IS replace and what did you consider?