IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

JL Amp/Sub Install. Woke it Up!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-13, 01:38 PM
John510
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default JL Amp/Sub Install. Woke it Up!!

Want to make your stock system come alive? JL Audio has a 500 watt Mono amp that fits perfectly in the floorboard. Also installed one 10 inch JL TW3 in a 5" deep box. (Ignore the white towel its just stuck in there until I figure out how to strap my box down from falling over).

I also left the stock sub plugged in. The JL amp has a remote switch that I put in the blank spot to the right of the BSM button. It sounds AMAZING!.....

The floorboard comes off by removing the 10mm bolt on the cargo net clip. Then the floorboard pops up. Perfect spot to hide the amp.

Old 09-28-13, 07:19 PM
mattding
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for showing this off - will have to play copycat so I can actually hear the lower end.
Old 09-28-13, 07:50 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Amps sure have gotten smaller since the last time I had an aftermarket audio system in my vehicles. I used to a have a JLA 500x1 that was about twice that size!

I've actually been looking for a simple upgrade to enhance my music listening experience. Thanks for the pics/ideas.
Old 09-28-13, 08:12 PM
F350
Pole Position

nice, does the amp heat up a lot under the floorboard ?

Where did you tap the sub wires and did you have to use a line-out converter ?
Old 09-28-13, 09:09 PM
John510
Lead Lap

It is tapped into the stock subwoofer. Amp does not get that hot.
Old 09-28-13, 11:41 PM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Don't post things like this. Winter is coming, and i can't do anything.
Old 09-29-13, 07:11 AM
F350
Pole Position

Do you have the ML equipped in Your 3IS ?
Old 09-29-13, 12:26 PM
abcsoup
Driver

Originally Posted by F350
Do you have the ML equipped in Your 3IS ?
I was wondering the same thing. This amp hiding setup looks great, and I'd love to see how the trunk looks after the towels are gone. Also, if you get a chance, could you post a pic of where you put the amp remote by the BSM button?
Old 09-29-13, 02:04 PM
ddb
Rookie

Looks good!

I have a couple of questions...

Did you have someone do the install or did you do it? If you did, from which set of cables did you get the signal? The stock Sub?

BTW, instead of adding a manual switch, look for an automatic switch that activates when it detects a predetermined volume level (it will fire up the Amp when it detects music playing).

One more question, which way did you run the power cable to the trunk?

Thanks
Old 09-29-13, 03:10 PM
John510
Lead Lap

No ML. Towels will be gone as soon as I figure out how to strap the box down. Its only 5" deep so it flips over when I gas to hard. Power was ran along the passenger side and the amp volume level phone cord was ran along the driver side. They tapped into the stock sub somehow. A shop did the work. I will try to take a pic of where they tapped into the sub.

It is very loud and on full volume will shake my house.
Old 09-29-13, 09:16 PM
ddb
Rookie

Originally Posted by John510
No ML. Towels will be gone as soon as I figure out how to strap the box down. Its only 5" deep so it flips over when I gas to hard. Power was ran along the passenger side and the amp volume level phone cord was ran along the driver side. They tapped into the stock sub somehow. A shop did the work. I will try to take a pic of where they tapped into the sub.

It is very loud and on full volume will shake my house.
Well, I did a install myself on my old 2008 IS250, and I used the Stock Sub signal at the Stock Amp. The Stock Sub on that model had dual coils so it has two Positives and two Negatives, so I used them on my advantage as I installed a Stereo Amp with Two 8" Subs Box.

I did not do this install on my 2011 IS350 as I was literally LAZY to do it... lol But I think the new 2014 IS350 F I got with the ML System has very good power and I based on the fact I was lazy before, I doubt I would install anything on mine now

I'm sure the installer tapped the same cables on your install as I did to my IS250 5 years ago... damn is been that long

BTW, I used a Sub Box that was wider on the bottom so it didn't flip... but it took too much space on the trunk. I recommend you to find either wood or aluminum panels and make some "feet" for your Sub Box on the front... or back depends how you see it, basically you would add a bigger base so it cannot flip. You can do as I did and put some Velcro Straps to hold the box also in place by attaching it to the Trunk Mat (don't attach it to the seats as they now flip open).

Enjoy your blasting loud sound system!
Old 09-30-13, 04:33 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

John510, ever thought of building a carpet wrapped piece of wood that wound make it wedge up to the top? I'm sure the shop can do it. Where in 510 you located? Custom Car Alarms did my huge system and they're careful with your car. They're in Pleasant Hill. Nice work though.
Old 09-30-13, 05:20 PM
waxy
Pole Position

That's awesome, can you please post pictures of how it's installed?

I've been dying to see someone post audio upgrades.
So you've retained the stock speakers, only to upgrade an AMP and a Sub woofer?

What's the total cost and where did you get those components?

Do you have problems folding the seat back?
Maybe possibly mount it under the headboard flat down when you're able to conjure a makeshift mount.

I work with acrylic and can make an enclosure for those subs and AMP's with cast acrylic, then carbon fiber wrap it.
Just need the dimensions of those components before I can play around with acrylic.
I use Cast Acrylic and not Extruded. Extruded is very brittle, cast is very durable and can deal with heat and vibrations much better.
The smaller the amp and sub the better really.
Old 09-30-13, 06:59 PM
John510
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by waxy
That's awesome, can you please post pictures of how it's installed?

I've been dying to see someone post audio upgrades.
So you've retained the stock speakers, only to upgrade an AMP and a Sub woofer?

What's the total cost and where did you get those components?

Do you have problems folding the seat back?
Maybe possibly mount it under the headboard flat down when you're able to conjure a makeshift mount.

I work with acrylic and can make an enclosure for those subs and AMP's with cast acrylic, then carbon fiber wrap it.
Just need the dimensions of those components before I can play around with acrylic.
I use Cast Acrylic and not Extruded. Extruded is very brittle, cast is very durable and can deal with heat and vibrations much better.
The smaller the amp and sub the better really.
Kar Tunz in Pleasanton installed it so I dont have pics. Total with install and tax was around 9 out the door. I kept the stock system since it sounds very nice. Just needed more bass. I dont ever fold my seats down as there is 2 car seats in there for my kids (no I dont blast bass when they are in the car) Im thinking I might just velcro the back of the box to the back of the seats at the top part. That should hold it.
Old 10-01-13, 08:24 AM
waxy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by John510
Kar Tunz in Pleasanton installed it so I dont have pics. Total with install and tax was around 9 out the door. I kept the stock system since it sounds very nice. Just needed more bass. I dont ever fold my seats down as there is 2 car seats in there for my kids (no I dont blast bass when they are in the car) Im thinking I might just velcro the back of the box to the back of the seats at the top part. That should hold it.
Was looking on Amazon and there seems to be quite a bit of variety for both the subs and amps, totaled to around 300-400. Also have a good friend that does car audio who can hook it up at his shop. Maybe I'll get away with murder instead of forking out so much.

Quick Reply: JL Amp/Sub Install. Woke it Up!!