Search this Thread

Old 04-23-14, 07:57 PM
mmmrodge
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dbs600
WHAT!?

Let me get this straight:

You brought your car in for poor heated seats, they determined your driver's seat was getting TOO hot and are now replacing the WHOLE seat!?

Did you not tell them to keep it the way it is!?

Please explain; CONFUSED!!

Yes correct. They can't ignore the problem due to liability since they know about it. It's a lease so I want to keep them happy and not have it catch on fire or ruin the seat.
Old 04-23-14, 08:03 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmmrodge
Yes correct. They can't ignore the problem due to liability since they know about it. It's a lease so I want to keep them happy and not have it catch on fire or ruin the seat.
This is all very confusing; I'm not understanding you / we're not hearing the whole story.

Before you knew the seat was out of spec, would you say it was working properly? In other words, was it in-line with your expectations of what a heated seat should feel like? If not, was it too warm or was it not warm enough?

YOU want to keep THEM happy!? What does THAT mean? Even more confusing!

How about they give us heated seats that work as advertised and paid for?

Why must they fight us on this? May mean not another Lexus, not for the issue per-se, but the way in which it's being handled, amongst others expressed on this board.

Not the company it once was. :|
Old 05-22-14, 07:31 AM
kkp10d
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I have the F Sport of the IS 350. The closest and only dealership around me makes me feel like I'm crazy. First off, I love my car, but there have been some issues.
1.) After not using my car for 2 days, I tried to start it, it wouldn't start. I had to jump it twice. (Yes, I know you aren't supposed to do that) But after talking to the receptionist who wasn't understanding that my car wouldn't start, I just did it my way of getting there. Where they told me, nothing was wrong with it. It had a bull charged battery. Maybe it had a charge from the jumping.. They were trying to convince me I left something on. I did not. I know I did not, and have researched other people having the same problem.
BEFORE I left I mentioned that my heated seats button would turn down no matter what level I put it up (past one). He looked confused and said remind me about this problem next time you bring this in.

2.) It needed service ( at least that's what the oil change sticker said on my car too) Which I find out that it runs on synthetic oil and that I could have gone well up to 10,000 miles. And that they don't even change the oil at 5,000. Why put the sticker?
But I did what he said and reminded him that my heat seated buttons turn down, both seats don't even get warm and hot.

**Stop saying everyone has different tolerances for heat.. I know what's hot and what's not. My Mitsubishi got warm AND hot. It only had two levels too.

Anyways, he typed it into the report. I came back and he summed it up. He said nothing was wrong with them. He even felt the seats, they were warm. Maybe when the guy sat in it and it was his body heat. He said the buttons are normal. It goes down when it reaches a max level. He acted like he has always known this. I have yet to hear people talk about this. If I want it hot, warm, it should stay on the level I pick. He then gave me a piece of paper and said here is some seat heater literature and I should read it to understand how the seat heaters work! It was very rude and disrespectful to say and do, especially in front of everyone there.

So now my buttons still go down. And neither of my seats get hot. You wouldn't even know they were on. Passengers and drivers in my car are surprised when I say they are on. They say, really? It doesn't even feel warm?

I love how Lexus is more than willing to make their customers feel like they're crazy than to admit there is a problem.
Old 05-22-14, 07:44 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by kkp10d

2.) It needed service ( at least that's what the oil change sticker said on my car too) Which I find out that it runs on synthetic oil and that I could have gone well up to 10,000 miles. And that they don't even change the oil at 5,000. Why put the sticker?
Lexus does indeed recommend a 5k service, which mostly includes inspections and topping off fluids, but not an oil change. The details of this service are documented on page 47 in your Warranty and Services Guide:

Lexus provides your first scheduled maintenance service at no charge. The service is performed at six months or 5,000 miles, whichever occurs first. To obtain this service, contact your Lexus dealership. Your complimentary service will include these items:

*Inspect and adjust all fluid levels
*Program Lexus Personalized Settings, if requested
*Reset maintenance reminder light
*Rotate tires
*Visually inspect brake pads, calipers and rotors
*Inspect wiper blades
*Check installation of driver's floor mat
*Road-test vehicle
I mentioned that my heated seats button would turn down no matter what level I put it up (past one). He looked confused and said remind me about this problem next time you bring this in.
This is a timer function. It's explained on page 355 of your manual:

Seat heater timer control: The seat heater automatically switches from Hi > Mid > Lo. The switching timing differs depending on the temperature inside the cabin etc. when the heater was operated.

The seat heater timer control can be turned on and off by pressing the seat heater switches for the driver side and front passenger side at the same time until a buzzer sounds. The buzzer will beep once when the seat heater timer control is turned on and twice when it is turned off.
I hope this helps.

Last edited by JDR76; 05-22-14 at 07:55 AM.
Old 05-22-14, 07:58 AM
kkp10d
Driver School Candidate

I appreciate the response. Thank you.
But that still doesn't solve some of my issues:
Why didn't the guy know about the timer, and tell me?
He didn't have to be rude and try to belittle me with how he went about it. Telling me to read something and not being able to explain it. But whatever.

But my main problem...why aren't my seats ever hot....or warm...?
Old 05-22-14, 08:21 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

I appreciate the response. Thank you.
You're welcome, I hope it helped.

But that still doesn't solve some of my issues:
Why didn't the guy know about the timer, and tell me?
He didn't have to be rude and try to belittle me with how he went about it. Telling me to read something and not being able to explain it. But whatever.

But my main problem...why aren't my seats ever hot....or warm...?
I can't answer why he treated you like that but I agree it was not professional.

As for your seats, it appears that the warmers in the F Sport seats are less effective than those in the non F Sports and in some other vehicles, which is, I am sure, disappointing. Best you can do (in my opinion) is to call Lexus Customer Service and let them know that you find them to be insufficient. With enough feedback, they may act to improve them.

Good luck to you. Otherwise, I hope you are enjoying your car, and welcome to Club Lexus.
Old 05-22-14, 09:13 AM
daobn24
Pole Position

kkp10d - I believe you can disable the timer function. Try the method below.

Originally Posted by grondie
With the car in accessory mode, hold down both heater switches (driver / pass) until you hear a beep. This disables the timer "feature"
Old 05-22-14, 10:35 AM
kkp10d
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for making me more knowledgeable on my issues. JDR76, I will definitely give them a call. And other than that, I am enjoying my car. =)

Daobn24, thank you for the help too, I will try and see if that works. =)
Old 05-22-14, 12:03 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

I will definitely give them a call.
Yes, please do, and inform everyone else you can; salesman, sales manager, service advisor (again), service manager, corporate customer service, and even your dealership's area representative. We should not accept such nonsense; heated seats that don't work.

Last edited by dbs600; 05-22-14 at 12:07 PM.
Old 05-23-14, 03:18 PM
dasrakete
Driver School Candidate

Took my vehicle for the second service yesterday and complained that seat warmer units were not acceptable. Asked service department to verify they were working properly, show me the heat range specification and to explain how they verified they met the spec. Service advisor said units were working and that I should refer to the owner's manual. After biting my tongue and telling him not to insult my intelligence I again asked for the spec. and their method to check. Begrudgingly h printed off the spec. sheet for me. He stated that because ambient air temperature was high there was no way to check. I informed him I would be back when the temperature dropped along with an electric thermometer to verify. I am also contacting Lexus.

Sorry for the long winded reply.
Old 05-23-14, 03:35 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dasrakete
Took my vehicle for the second service yesterday and complained that seat warmer units were not acceptable. Asked service department to verify they were working properly, show me the heat range specification and to explain how they verified they met the spec. Service advisor said units were working and that I should refer to the owner's manual. After biting my tongue and telling him not to insult my intelligence I again asked for the spec. and their method to check. Begrudgingly h printed off the spec. sheet for me. He stated that because ambient air temperature was high there was no way to check. I informed him I would be back when the temperature dropped along with an electric thermometer to verify. I am also contacting Lexus.

Sorry for the long winded reply.
Long-winded reply not a problem.

Thanks for giving it effort; wish more would!

This is an issue and something needs to be done.

If I knew it to be a problem, would've gone with a different car!
Old 05-23-14, 08:42 PM
hoosier1
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dbs600
Long-winded reply not a problem.

Thanks for giving it effort; wish more would!

This is an issue and something needs to be done.

If I knew it to be a problem, would've gone with a different car!
The heated seats on the non-F Sport don't work, but I'm not having the dealer mess with the seats. At least the heated steering wheel works.

For those that are being told that the seats work, it is an insult to your intelligence.

The heated seats in my ES300h work great, and so did the heated seats in my BMWs and Audi.
Old 05-23-14, 09:21 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by hoosier1
The heated seats on the non-F Sport don't work, but I'm not having the dealer mess with the seats.
They work on mine, so it's an inconsistent problem. I seem to be one of the lucky few.
Old 05-24-14, 09:57 AM
UncleSpud
Pole Position

The seat heaters are practically worthless on my F Sport, but given my experience with trying to get Lexus to acknowledge and fix the ongoing problems with my radio/nav (intermittent reboots), I know better than to bring this to their attention. Never again will I buy a car in either its first model year or after it's been redesigned.
Old 09-06-14, 02:47 PM
dasrakete
Driver School Candidate

Default Seat Warmers Re-visited

I know this is early yet ...... If you are contemplating a 2015 IS try to confirm the output. When I talked to Lexus customer service about the poor performance and lack of warmth, their position is...... The engineers cannot change the design and there is NO adjustment. And, there have been no customer complaints.

So, if you live where the temperature drops below zero you are SOL.

This is the same attitude North American Automobile Manufactures had. Definitely didn't work out for them

Anyone who is dissatisfied with the seat Warmers needs to phone Lexus.

Quick Reply: Heated Seat Discussion (merged threads)