IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Did any of you compare your IS350 F Sport to the Q50s before buying

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-13, 11:11 AM
JGard18
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Did any of you compare your IS350 F Sport to the Q50s before buying

That's the spot I'm in now. Test drove an IS 350 the other day, loved it, except for the complete lack of headroom. I'm 6'5" and I had to recline the seat way beyond anything comfortable in order to fit. Even my Miata and S2000 had more headroom than this car! However, I sat, stationary, in an F sport, and the deeper seats seemed to help alleviate that issue. Aside from that, though, I thought this was a great car.

Next I want to go drive the Q50s (and despite protests from my wife, I want to drive an ATS, too). Specs alone say it has 1.5" more headroom up front, but man, I'd sure hate to buy a car I didn't like as much just because I fit better in it. I know if I ask straight up if you compare the two which you like more will give a biased opinion, but I am curious if anybody drove them before buying the IS and why you chose the IS. Thanks in advance
Old 09-24-13, 11:18 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Google "Q50 forums" and research there. Seems there are the usual bugs and crashes with the software and other issues with a 1st gen car. Al in all seems like it will be a great car. Depends on your pain tolerance. I was well aware of the Q but as an often early adopter in a/v I know the pain of dealing with 1st gen products.
Old 09-24-13, 11:31 AM
LexFather

Welcome. I'm actually 6"5 and probably have more experience than anyone driving both cars. To me headroom is about the same and I find the F-sport seat to be a much better place to be, I just have to lower the IS seat more. The Q50 has extendable manual leg support and electric lumbar support but I never can truly get super comfy in the seat. I've yet to hit my head in either car.
Old 09-24-13, 11:35 AM
JGard18
Pole Position

Good to hear, thanks! I prefer everything I know about the IS over the Q50, but I do feel like I owe it to myself to drive another car before making the decision on this one. I've plowed through car purchases in the past and sold them right quick, so I'm trying to take my time here and really evaluate all options.
Old 09-24-13, 11:57 AM
vbx
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Glashub
Google "Q50 forums" and research there. Seems there are the usual bugs and crashes with the software and other issues with a 1st gen car. Al in all seems like it will be a great car. Depends on your pain tolerance. I was well aware of the Q but as an often early adopter in a/v I know the pain of dealing with 1st gen products.

Isn't the redesign 2014 also a 1st gen? With it's bugs and headaches also?

The Q50 is actually a rebadged G37 sedan. Motortrend compared the 2 cars and the Q50 had faster 0-60 and 1/4 times.

With that said, since Nissan / Infiniti vehicles cannot recirculate the cabin air w/o having the A/C on, I will stay away from it.
Old 09-24-13, 12:57 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

You're right in a sense. Much of what we have in the IS is trickle down or just not that sophisticated i.e Enform. The Q is much more than a rebadged G imo. It's an attempt to do something disruptive at this price point with the electronic steering system and all of the electronics offered. The engine and tranny are G holdovers but the electronics are all 1st attempt stuff as far as I know.
Old 09-24-13, 01:28 PM
vbx
Lead Lap

You're right in a sense. Much of what we have in the IS is trickle down or just not that sophisticated i.e Enform. The Q is much more than a rebadged G imo. It's an attempt to do something disruptive at this price point with the electronic steering system and all of the electronics offered. The engine and tranny are G holdovers but the electronics are all 1st attempt stuff as far as I know.
It's just a 2014 G37. Infiniti is re-badging all it's cars with Q. Sure it has new features and gizmos but that's expected with a new year model.
Old 09-24-13, 01:31 PM
QMDJ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I test drove the ATS before and I think it is not a bad car. Maybe i was driving the 200hp turbo version of it, but i just thought that acc. was lagging it. That is not to say that i was just completely flooring it to see how "fast" it goes, but i just did not enjoy it. The styling of the ATS had this gloss interface, and if your a neat freak that doesnt like fingerprints, you might want to look else where. Also, the navigation/air condition controls, was very not responsive and paying that much for something that doesnt work, i wouldnt get it.

I did drive the is350 at the lexus lane change event but did not have a chance to play and fiddle with the controls and navigation as it was more about testing the performance. Also if this helps you, i drove the audi a4 2.0T. Understeered like crazy even compared to an is250 and the handling isnt just as nice to the lexus if you are thinking about testing that out.
Old 09-24-13, 01:31 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Okay. You're right vbx. It's just a G37 with a few gizmos. When you get a chance read through here, http://www.infinitiq50.org/forum/new...cussion-forum/

Maybe when you've really familiarized yourself with the car you'll feel differently.
Old 09-24-13, 01:37 PM
JGard18
Pole Position

Yeah, I've been checking out their forums, too, just haven't registered, mainly because I'm leaning Lexus' way right now. Just looking for other opinions to see if there's anything in particular I may be overlooking or whatnot.

Looking at the pictures of that car, I think it's really a good looking vehicle, and I've never liked Nissan design before, but there's just something about the IS and how aggressive it looks, fits my personality better.

Also, I was floored with how well the automatic transmission worked, especially the flappy paddles. I have always driven manuals, hate autos, and I've driven some in the past that allow for "manual" shifting, but they're always a huge letdown. The responsiveness of the IS paddles really took me by surprise.
Old 09-24-13, 01:40 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Okay. You're right vbx. It's just a G37 with a few gizmos. When you get a chance read through here, http://www.infinitiq50.org/forum/new...cussion-forum/

Maybe when you've really familiarized yourself with the car you'll feel differently.

It is not G37 as you know , maybe he wont detect sarcasm :-).

But also, wouldnt it be better to send him to see some reviews of the car that compare the class? You cant really find out much from Q forums, except for problems and MPG.
Old 09-24-13, 01:48 PM
ddb
Rookie

Well, I didn't even think about looking at any other car or models. Went to Lexus, gave in my 2011 IS350 and got a 2014 IS350 F. Then my wife gave her 2012 CT200h and got a 2013 CT200h for a better price

Oh and the Sales Manager at Lexus is my friend
Old 09-24-13, 03:38 PM
Fringe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I first considered the IS, then was leaning towards the Q50S after test-driving the Lexus and not initially liking a few things.

Finally decided I preferred the IS F Sport RWD because of its class-leading turning circle, unique red interior, and my preference for the local Lexus dealer over the Infiniti dealer.

My preference for the styling, interior design, exterior colors, superior paint finish, and Lexus history of quality and low cost of ownership helped seal the deal in my mind as well.
Old 09-24-13, 03:49 PM
vbx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Fringe
I first considered the IS, then was leaning towards the Q50S after test-driving the Lexus and not initially liking a few things.

Finally decided I preferred the IS F Sport RWD because of its class-leading turning circle, unique red interior, and my preference for the local Lexus dealer over the Infiniti dealer.

My preference for the styling, interior design, exterior colors, superior paint finish, and Lexus history of quality and low cost of ownership helped seal the deal in my mind as well.
Smart move. The Infiniti can get pretty expensive. It's a service prone vehicle. Luckily I purchased the extended warranty for the G.

I mean, who the hell uses fluid filled bushings? Which requires not to replace just the bushings, but the entire rear subframe. At a cost of $2,400.

Sames goes with their valve covers. You can't replace the sparkplug seals. There is none. The seals are molded onto the plastic valve covers. You have to replace the valve covers. A $700 job for 2 valve covers at the dealership.
Old 09-24-13, 08:12 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by vbx
Smart move. The Infiniti can get pretty expensive. It's a service prone vehicle. Luckily I purchased the extended warranty for the G.

I mean, who the hell uses fluid filled bushings? Which requires not to replace just the bushings, but the entire rear subframe. At a cost of $2,400.

Sames goes with their valve covers. You can't replace the sparkplug seals. There is none. The seals are molded onto the plastic valve covers. You have to replace the valve covers. A $700 job for 2 valve covers at the dealership.
I own a '13 Lexus and a '10 Infiniti, and I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "service prone". Neither car has needed anything outside of standard service. Our G37 Convertible is rock-solid and we will be buying one when our lease is up. In addition, I've owned FX35s and M35/45 and none has needed more than the standard maintenance. Not sure what you have experienced, but my experience with Infiniti (just like Lexus) has been trouble-free. The Infiniti dealer here in Dallas is also just as good as the Lexus dealer in taking care of me.

Quick Reply: Did any of you compare your IS350 F Sport to the Q50s before buying