IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

What Is The EXACT Size Of The Nav Screen??? Everyone Needs A Screen Protector!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-13, 02:28 PM
DexRox512
Turkey Killer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Is The EXACT Size Of The Nav Screen??? Everyone Needs A Screen Protector!!!

As a follow up to my last thread I posted about my nav screen starting to peel and have issues ( https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...test-mule.html ) I've somewhat zeroed in on what is creating this issue. My dealer is replacing my screen for me when they can get one, but I now have another section of the screen doing the same thing on the total opposite side. Basically though, when the outside of the screen, I'm assuming the anti glare layer, becomes scratched (even by an extremely minor amount) that layer starts to peel, chip or flake off...probably by heat or reflection. Anyway, my idea to resolve it (because hairline scratches are going to occur...even if the screen isn't being touched) is to call a company who makes screen protectors for nav screens and have a custom made protector put on by the dealer before the new screen is put in, so this doesn't happen to the new one. The measurements I took were 9.75 inches long and 4.25 inches tall. But I want it to go edge to edge and wanted to know if anyone has the exact measurements. Either way, I'd recommend everyone do this so you dont have to deal with this!
Old 09-22-13, 03:28 PM
vbx
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PJJames
As a follow up to my last thread I posted about my nav screen starting to peel and have issues ( https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...test-mule.html ) I've somewhat zeroed in on what is creating this issue. My dealer is replacing my screen for me when they can get one, but I now have another section of the screen doing the same thing on the total opposite side. Basically though, when the outside of the screen, I'm assuming the anti glare layer, becomes scratched (even by an extremely minor amount) that layer starts to peel, chip or flake off...probably by heat or reflection. Anyway, my idea to resolve it (because hairline scratches are going to occur...even if the screen isn't being touched) is to call a company who makes screen protectors for nav screens and have a custom made protector put on by the dealer before the new screen is put in, so this doesn't happen to the new one. The measurements I took were 9.75 inches long and 4.25 inches tall. But I want it to go edge to edge and wanted to know if anyone has the exact measurements. Either way, I'd recommend everyone do this so you dont have to deal with this!
I think Lexus should just fix the problem and issue a tsb.

Are you sure it's not a protective plastic overlay from the factory? My step-plate on my G35 was "peeling" and upon closer inspection, it was only a plastic overlay that was there to protect the aluminum finish.
Old 09-22-13, 03:32 PM
DexRox512
Turkey Killer

Ya I agree...but who knows how long that will take or if it'll even be fixed. Look how long it took them to fix the 2011 LED headlights...and those were never really fixed.

100% sure its not a protective film...it is physically part of the screen.
Old 09-22-13, 09:34 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

guarantee you that if this becomes a larger problem affecting more cars, Lexus will issue a recall or at the very least replace the affected vehicles with a new part number as needed.
Old 09-24-13, 09:49 PM
DexRox512
Turkey Killer

Just to let you guys know, I found a company to custom make a screen protector for our cars...and they've listed it in their ordering inventory. They do a screen protector for almost everything out there that has a screen...so I trust the product will be great. Here is the link to order...

http://nushield.com/order_now.php
Old 06-30-15, 03:14 PM
Roffles
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Any updates on this issue? I have this issue with my car and I've ordered an anti-glare coating from NuShield. But I'm hesitant to put it on because NuShield recommends that I remove all the existing anti-glare before applying their coating. I sill can't figure out if this coating is a physical layer of material or some sort of sprayed on adhesive. So I'm not sure what technique to use to remove it. It seems to me that if I intentionally remove the coating, I could be voiding my warranty, and assuming I'm not satisfied with the NuShield, I could be denied warranty work because I messed with it in the first place.