IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Installing aftermarket Fog Lights to F Sport models

Old 09-18-13, 09:39 PM
ddb
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Installing aftermarket Fog Lights to F Sport models

Ok so I have seen so many posts and comments about Lexus missing the mark on the Fog Lights for the F Sport models in the US that I am wondering if anybody will be selling soon an aftermarket kit.

For now, I would like to try to install some small LED Fog Lights on my IS350 F as it seems that there are tons of LED lights available on eBay and other websites for very low prices (you can find sets of small LED lights for less than $20).

My concern is not how to install them but how to wire them. I am thinking to just wire them on a way that they would come ON as soon you turn ON the engine and go OFF when you turn it OFF without having to install a switch inside the vehicle.

If anybody has any idea of how to do this in a simple and safe way (I would add a fuse to that line anyways) please post here.

In case you are thinking that it is a bad idea to add cheap fog lights to the IS, well, I agree, but I am pretty sure that soon someone would come up with a full aftermarket kit, so for the time being, I rather save money for such a kit and install something cheap and simple that would be for looks and if possible to increase light output to illuminate better the road (my two previous IS were very good illuminating the immediate road ahead with the Fog Lights).

And by the way, I did find one place that has ready the original Japanese parts for the Fogs, but they are selling the fogs with the plastic cover for over $1K and it doesn’t include any harness or switch replacement to install inside the vehicle. So basically you would be having a big headache trying to figure out how to connect the original fogs. Not a good idea for a $1K kit. The place is www.nigel-jdmparts.com and even when they only have the non F Fog Lights listed on their website, they also carry the F Sport ones (I contacted them and that is how I know also the price).

Again, if anybody has any idea on how to wire the fogs, and even better, if you have any suggestion of aftermarket LED fogs and how to attach them to the bumper, please post it here so we can discuss it.

Thanks!
Old 09-19-13, 12:55 AM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ddb
My concern is not how to install them but how to wire them. I am thinking to just wire them on a way that they would come ON as soon you turn ON the engine and go OFF when you turn it OFF without having to install a switch inside the vehicle.
Hook them up to the DRL. They work that way.
Old 09-19-13, 01:02 PM
ddb
Rookie

Originally Posted by jhs82
Hook them up to the DRL. They work that way.
So just get power from the DRL harness? How about the fact that the DRL has two settings? They go brighter when driving on the day while they dimmer when the headlights go on at night. Just wondering if this would be an issue.

Also, I would be concerned about the fuse max being exceeded with the extra power... But I guess if that is the case I can always increase the resistance on the fuse to the next level.

What do you think?
Old 09-19-13, 01:17 PM
RastaRacer
Lexus Champion

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

hmmm, I would love to see this done. I like the idea of adding fog lights to my F-Sport but not for $1000
Old 09-19-13, 02:37 PM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ddb
So just get power from the DRL harness? How about the fact that the DRL has two settings? They go brighter when driving on the day while they dimmer when the headlights go on at night. Just wondering if this would be an issue.

Also, I would be concerned about the fuse max being exceeded with the extra power... But I guess if that is the case I can always increase the resistance on the fuse to the next level.

What do you think?
Use the signal to the DRL to run a relay. This will avoid any problems with fuses. Should not give any effect when the DRL goes down in strength either.
Old 09-19-13, 05:12 PM
ddb
Rookie

Originally Posted by jhs82
Use the signal to the DRL to run a relay. This will avoid any problems with fuses. Should not give any effect when the DRL goes down in strength either.
Right... I did not think of it this way... I got other frustrations on my head so I guess I am a little blind... is so obvious. Duh!

Thanks a lot!

I will be trying as soon as I find something I like and also waiting to see if I can find the JDM fog covers so I could do a better looking install...
Old 09-20-13, 02:07 AM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ddb
Right... I did not think of it this way... I got other frustrations on my head so I guess I am a little blind... is so obvious. Duh!

Thanks a lot!

I will be trying as soon as I find something I like and also waiting to see if I can find the JDM fog covers so I could do a better looking install...
Don't worry, bro. We're here to help.
Old 10-10-13, 04:08 PM
ddb
Rookie

Well, I just received a set of LED small lights, I'm planning to install them by attaching them to the black plastic covers on each side (where the REAL fog lights are supposed to be) and then get a relay to power them up.

As jhs82 suggested, I could get the signal from the DRL, now I have a question for anybody out there that might have a good idea... where do you think it would be best to get the signal? The power cables to the DRL are apparently way down there under the headlights, I don't even see them after I took a quick look.

Another place maybe could be directly from the fuse box... I don't even know where the DRL fuses are, I haven't look for them... anyways, will be my little project for the weekend.

If anybody has any suggestions or ideas, please post it here and I will give it a try. Hopefully I can do a clean install without much problem and if so, I will be posting some results as well the how to
Old 10-10-13, 07:18 PM
anhzie
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think just wait for after SEMA! i'm waiting for after SEMA to see if any company making COILOVER beside RS*R
Old 10-10-13, 07:41 PM
John510
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by anhzie
i think just wait for after SEMA! i'm waiting for after SEMA to see if any company making COILOVER beside RS*R
BCR will have one soon
Old 10-10-13, 07:52 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

You guys are feeling the pain us 4GS owners have lol. In terms of wiring I'd imagine it would be similar to how ours is wired. JoeZ I believe has a great thread on how he connected his up. When I get around a computer I'll see if I can find it.
Old 10-10-13, 11:53 PM
anhzie
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

alot people using BC coils idk it better than RS*R or not but i hope KW will make 1
Originally Posted by John510
BCR will have one soon
Old 10-11-13, 12:52 AM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ddb
Well, I just received a set of LED small lights, I'm planning to install them by attaching them to the black plastic covers on each side (where the REAL fog lights are supposed to be) and then get a relay to power them up.

As jhs82 suggested, I could get the signal from the DRL, now I have a question for anybody out there that might have a good idea... where do you think it would be best to get the signal? The power cables to the DRL are apparently way down there under the headlights, I don't even see them after I took a quick look.

Another place maybe could be directly from the fuse box... I don't even know where the DRL fuses are, I haven't look for them... anyways, will be my little project for the weekend.

If anybody has any suggestions or ideas, please post it here and I will give it a try. Hopefully I can do a clean install without much problem and if so, I will be posting some results as well the how to
The DRLs probably don't have a seperate fuse. I'd connect close to the DRLs. You still need to remove the bumper to get a clean install, so you'll be able to reach the cabels anyway.
Old 10-11-13, 01:13 AM
magne
Lead Lap

If you have the possibility the get the car up in the air, you can remove the plastic plate under the bumper, and you'll probably get accses to the wireing to the DRL's without removing the whole bumper.
Hower, I bet it would look better if you remove the whole bumper and run the wires hidden.
Old 10-11-13, 03:00 PM
ddb
Rookie

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions guys. I downloaded many tech documents from the Toyota Tech site and I know how to remove the bumper, headlights and DRL and even how to remove and where the wires go for the non F fog lights.

I think I will do as jhs82 and magne suggested and I will go under the car to just open the plastic cover under the front, then I will have a full clear view (as per the instructions on how to remove the front bumper) of everything behind the bumper including the DRL harness.

I'll try to keep the install clean and run the cables hidden. I also plan to take out the plastic covers (where the fogs should go) so I can modify them to hold the LED lights.

I do have a question, I got 6 LED lights that are less than an inch in diameter and I plan to install them vertically on top of each other as the plastic cover has a vertical cut at the end... question is, what do you guys think is better to do? Install all three on each side (will take the entire opening top to bottom), or just install two or even just one on each side?

I'll listen to your opinions

Thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installing aftermarket Fog Lights to F Sport models