IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

F-sport demand is off the charts

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-13, 09:31 PM
LexFather

Post F-sport demand is off the charts

If you are not aware, there seems to be a big difference between what Lexus forecasted for demand compared to actual demand. I believe on the last sales call it was around a 45% take rate. I assume the forecast was between 25-30% so that is a HUGE jump. Dealers are stating F-sports are flying off lots and they don't have enough to sell.

With my eyes around town, I would say I have seen more F-sports than non. The same issue happened with the GS (lower % rates) and the Camry SE.

Mike
Old 09-17-13, 10:04 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like IS sale in general is way up. Some of this could be contributed to buyers holding off purchase due to new design being released.

This article states Lexus IS sales increased 87%!
This increase in demand probably isn't helping availability and price negotiations especially if Lexus didn't expect this and didn't have enough supply in some parts of the country.

Sales surged 87 percent for Lexus’s new IS sedan and 32 percent for its RX sport-utility vehicle.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...d-in-2013.html
Old 09-17-13, 11:03 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Releasing the new IS with a dedicated F-Sport package and not tacking it on halfway down it's life is probably helping. Heavy advertising, with the F-Sport in the spotlight, may also be helping.
Oddly though, all new IS's Ive seen in L.A. have been non-F-Sports, female drivers, and they've all been Starfire Pearl.
Old 09-17-13, 11:27 PM
eyeball
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't seen an Fsport in San Diego yet surprisingly!
Old 09-18-13, 05:19 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

saw 2-3 regular IS before I saw an F Sport. Still havent seen a 350 F Sport except the one I test drove
Old 09-18-13, 06:03 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you seen the IS ads? Sexy, hip, classy -- eye candy ads. I've seen 5 3IS here in LA and each was an Fsport. Saw one at Laurel Canyon and Moorpark -- black -- guy looked to be 50 -- IS250 Fsport. Only mention the age because some say they're targeting a young demo.
Old 09-18-13, 06:08 AM
unc879wins
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Only spotted one 3IS on the road in Tucson and it was yesterday. Matador 250 non-FSport.
Old 09-18-13, 10:11 AM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

maybe bc i live really close to the toyota headquarters in torrance but i've seen a ton of F-sports on the road. i'm guessing employees get great deals on new cars? i really like the new ads for the 3IS and the direction lexus is going in.
Old 09-18-13, 10:26 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^

Funny thing about the ads -- I've seen them mostly on CNN and ESPN -- not the audience one would think they'd hit since the ads are populated by young and attractive people.

BUT an older woman once told me that older women don't want to look like an older woman who looks great -- they want to look like the 23 year old. Maybe that's the psychology.
Old 09-18-13, 10:41 AM
eyeball
Lead Lap

[QUOTE=Glashub;8146299]^^^

Funny thing about the ads -- I've seen them mostly on CNN and ESPN -- not the audience one would think they'd hit since the ads are populated by young and attractive people.

I've been watching a lot of NFL games lately. The IS250 Fsport lease commercial plays all the time!
Old 09-18-13, 11:27 AM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

i've seen the tv ads all over the place; food network, travel channel, E!, bravo, etc. yeah, the wife and i watch too much tv lol
Old 09-18-13, 11:30 AM
enoren
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SonyHome
This article states Lexus IS sales increased 87%!

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...d-in-2013.html
You shouldn't bother quoting the 87% number; it's misleading since it's specific to month-over-month for the month that the car was released. If 20 cars were sold in June, it only takes 37 cars in July to hit 87%.

There was built up demand for the car -- many people holding off purchasing until the new one came out. In other words, demand the month before would have been unusually low, and demand the month of the release was very high. This would be an important metric if it were year-over-year, not month-over-month.

Notice we haven't heard the increase from August over July, only July over June. I suspect since the July supply was likely sold out, even if the August supply sold out it wasn't 87% larger. Don't get me wrong, I think that demand for the new IS is hot. They're selling every one they get. But the 87% number isn't as impressive as it sounds.
Old 09-18-13, 11:52 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Hmm sales on F-Sport are up. Hey let's not offer the features in the car they want

forcing the buyer because looks smh

F-Sport GS and LS sales have quickly cooled off. Way more F-Sports on lots than non. IS because of it's sporty nature should continue to have a strong take rate.

Still, offering features not available is an absolute slap in the face to customers
Old 09-18-13, 11:56 AM
damtachoa
Pole Position

I have not seen any of the IS350 F sport anywhere in san jose. I only saw 2 IS250 non sport.
Old 09-18-13, 12:17 PM
waxy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by damtachoa
I have not seen any of the IS350 F sport anywhere in san jose. I only saw 2 IS250 non sport.
Might be because I bought the only model of 2 available in the Bay Area.

IS F Sport 350 Grey, Black Interior

The other one was Ultra white, black interior.
Made my purchase about a month ago, never had the opportunity to post pictures.
I will eventually get around it, work and stuff is usually in the way.
I was told that the next available one will not be until late this year at earliest.

Picked up from Steven's Creek, while I did check other locations, they only have F Sport 250's.
I personally think it's a waste of money but to each their own.

I commute on 87, 101, 280 and 237 Daily, so if you see it then it's probably me lol.

Quick Reply: F-sport demand is off the charts