F-sport demand is off the charts

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-13, 03:24 PM
SexyElaine
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John510
You know whats comical......

Tons of people are complaining about cooled seats, tilting mirrors, etc instead of a real problem. How about making a manual transmission car? Im not 65 with arthritis in my arm. I WANT A MANUAL!!!!!!
This i miss sooo much !! I had a manual on my G35 way back and enjoyed driving it soo much due to it despite living in Manhattan at the time !!??

Lots of my friends thought i was crazy having one with the traffic each day and ohhhh having the extra pedal and wearing 4" heels
Old 09-20-13, 04:15 PM
vbx
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Manual cars are not only more fun to drive, but the drivers in a manual car are more calm and collected. People who complain about traffic and manual cars are usually people who don't know how to drive a manual.

If you drive in traffic and pay attention to the road, you'll see that a lot of the idiots cutting everyone off and having some type of anger issues are mostly automatic drivers.

I mean, if all you're doing is stepping on the gas and brakes all day, yeah, you'll go crazy too. I was giving a loaner a few times and I when I got back on my 6mt, I was a lot more fun to drive.
Old 09-20-13, 06:32 PM
SimTide985
Driver

Originally Posted by damtachoa
I do think it's way overpriced when it cuts off a lot of features. No wonder I don't see any F Sport around in San Jose.

Here are all the features that cut off:
1. Power Mirror
2. Fog Light
3. Memory Seat
4. Cool Seat
5. Power Shade
6. Head Up Display (must be in option)
7. F-Sport Brakes
I disagree 100%. At least for the 350.

The F-Sport, considering its engine size, transmission, and drivetrain, it still undercuts all of luxury sport sedans in its segment, so if you take this into account, the price is justified.

Additionally, the F-Sport package is a lot more than just cosmetics. There is a great deal of additional performance parts, interior upgrades, and transmission

For the IS250 on the other hand, I might see the argument there as its much smaller and less powerful engine doesn't quite make up for its MPG advantage and price tag when compared to the 350.
Old 09-21-13, 01:21 AM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by vbx
Manual cars are not only more fun to drive, but the drivers in a manual car are more calm and collected. People who complain about traffic and manual cars are usually people who don't know how to drive a manual.

If you drive in traffic and pay attention to the road, you'll see that a lot of the idiots cutting everyone off and having some type of anger issues are mostly automatic drivers.

I mean, if all you're doing is stepping on the gas and brakes all day, yeah, you'll go crazy too. I was giving a loaner a few times and I when I got back on my 6mt, I was a lot more fun to drive.
I wanted an automatic because it's calmer to drive in heavy traffic with constant stop and go and speeds where you can't run in first gear at idle without going to fast.
For me the CVT is perfect. And the EV mode.

And i do know how to drive a M/T properly.
Old 09-21-13, 01:28 AM
SimTide985
Driver

Originally Posted by vbx
Manual cars are not only more fun to drive, but the drivers in a manual car are more calm and collected..
Old 09-21-13, 06:56 AM
Dark9t316
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SimTide985
Lol that's how i felt, people normally want to get rid of manual in favor of automatic if they have to sit in traffic.
Old 09-21-13, 10:55 AM
G8rGirl
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
If you are not aware, there seems to be a big difference between what Lexus forecasted for demand compared to actual demand. I believe on the last sales call it was around a 45% take rate. I assume the forecast was between 25-30% so that is a HUGE jump. Dealers are stating F-sports are flying off lots and they don't have enough to sell.

With my eyes around town, I would say I have seen more F-sports than non. The same issue happened with the GS (lower % rates) and the Camry SE.

Mike
Sounds about right. Part of the reason I ended up with a non-F when I was buying at the end of July/beginning of August is because they didn't have the configuration I wanted, I would have to wait until the end of September for something "close" to what I wanted, and I couldn't/wouldn't wait. There was MUCH more non-F availability at the time. I'm very happy with what I have now, but maybe the high demand means Lexus will fully-option the F-Sports, which will be great for my future purchases.
Old 09-21-13, 11:00 AM
G8rGirl
Driver

Originally Posted by Dark9t316
Lol that's how i felt, people normally want to get rid of manual in favor of automatic if they have to sit in traffic.
DSG transmissions. The best of both!
Old 09-21-13, 06:40 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by enoren
You shouldn't bother quoting the 87% number; it's misleading since it's specific to month-over-month for the month that the car was released. If 20 cars were sold in June, it only takes 37 cars in July to hit 87%.

There was built up demand for the car -- many people holding off purchasing until the new one came out. In other words, demand the month before would have been unusually low, and demand the month of the release was very high. This would be an important metric if it were year-over-year, not month-over-month.

Notice we haven't heard the increase from August over July, only July over June. I suspect since the July supply was likely sold out, even if the August supply sold out it wasn't 87% larger. Don't get me wrong, I think that demand for the new IS is hot. They're selling every one they get. But the 87% number isn't as impressive as it sounds.
Looking at this article, it looks like Lexus sold 2,369 IS in August 2012 and they sold 4,432 in August 2013. But as you said calendar year to date is same for both years at 18,859.

http://www.cheersandgears.com/topic/...a-motor-sales/
Old 09-22-13, 01:54 AM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by G8rGirl
DSG transmissions. The best of both!
In theory, yes. But Volkswagen and Audi has a LOT of issues with them, and are limiting the options on getting them in Europe.
Old 09-22-13, 02:15 AM
vbx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Dark9t316
I never seen anyone with a manual car complain about driving a manual in traffic. It's always the guy driving an auto using that as an excuse. lol

I drive in traffic everyday on the 5 and the 55. No problems at all. Really no difference when compared to an automatic.

Difference is, on a manual, we can actually rest here and there instead of pressing on the brakes.

The only thing that sucks are the hills. I hate it with idiots follow way to damn close on hills. I always use my ebrake on the hills just in case.
Old 09-22-13, 03:47 AM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vbx
I never seen anyone with a manual car complain about driving a manual in traffic. It's always the guy driving an auto using that as an excuse. lol

I drive in traffic everyday on the 5 and the 55. No problems at all. Really no difference when compared to an automatic.

Difference is, on a manual, we can actually rest here and there instead of pressing on the brakes.

The only thing that sucks are the hills. I hate it with idiots follow way to damn close on hills. I always use my ebrake on the hills just in case.
I think that at least part of one's concerns about using a manual transmission routinely in traffic depends on age. It might not bother someone with young ligaments and joints in their 20's or 30's. It may be another matter for those middle aged and older.
Old 09-22-13, 04:36 AM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vbx
I never seen anyone with a manual car complain about driving a manual in traffic.
Well, here´s one.
Old 09-22-13, 05:34 AM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jhs82
well, here´s one.
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!! I was about to pull the trigger on a loaded VW Beetle R-Line Manual before deciding IS350 AWD F Sport!
Old 09-22-13, 07:46 AM
G8rGirl
Driver

Originally Posted by jhs82
In theory, yes. But Volkswagen and Audi has a LOT of issues with them, and are limiting the options on getting them in Europe.
I loved mine when I had it and had NO problems. The rest of the car...well. Give me a DSG transmission in a Japanese car and I am in heaven!

Quick Reply: F-sport demand is off the charts