IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

How to: Changing Lane Change Flasher from 3 to 5 or 7

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-13, 12:00 PM
cabill
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the instructions. My dealer in Cleveland said it's only available on GS too. Sent him the information and the tech tried it and it worked. They made notes to know for future.
Old 03-07-14, 06:01 AM
magne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you post the photo\link once more, since the old one stopped working?
Old 03-07-14, 06:28 AM
DJ90
Driver

hmm i dont understand what is the use of these 3,5,7 blinks? why not just use the left turn or right turn signals?
Old 03-07-14, 06:38 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ90
hmm i dont understand what is the use of these 3,5,7 blinks? why not just use the left turn or right turn signals?
Convenience when lane changing.Just a touch up or down on the stick rather than a on and off move.
I like the one touch.
Old 03-07-14, 12:10 PM
RaysurX
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DJ90
From post #29

Your flasher stalk (rod / stick) actually has three positions
1) neutral - position while you are not touching it
2) Right or Left - nudging it slightly up or down
3) Right TURN or LEFT TURN - flicking all the way up or down

Position 2 is what we are talking about, which is initiated by a gentle nudge. The flasher will (by default flash 3 times then automatically turn off). A lot of people (including me) feel that 5 is a good number to signal and transition into a lane.

If you are always flicking the flasher stalk entirely up or down to position 3 then you would have not noticed position 2.
Old 03-13-14, 12:34 PM
mbadaluc
Driver School Candidate

If anyone printed the instructions for changing lane change flashers between 3-5-7 blinks, please repost them as the link to turnsignal.pdf no longer works. Thanks.
Old 03-13-14, 01:41 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

1.) Ignition off, doors closed
2.) Hold the wiper switch in the full up position. (this is the wiper off position)
3.) While holding the wiper switch in the full up position, turn the IG on. (two presses of the start/stop switch)
4.) Hold wiper switch in the full up position for 5 seconds
5.) Move the wiper switch down one "click" or "notch", hold for 5 seconds
6.) Move the wiper switch back to the full up position, hold for 5 seconds
7.) Move the wiper switch down one "click" or "notch". hold for 5 seconds (same position as step 5)
8.) Move the wiper switch back to the rest position (neutral)

If this was done correctly, the right turn signal will flash once.

To adjust how many flashes you want, you change the intermittent wiper speed switch. P1 starts with the speed switch all the way at the bottom, P4 will be the top speed. This is found on the wiper stalk.

P1: 3 blinks
P2: 5 blinks
P3: 7 blinks
P4: Function turned off

Set the intermittent wiper speed to the desired setting.

Use the Turn Signal stalk and push down like you want to activate the left turn signal, the flashers should activate

If the turn signal blinks once, you change it to the "3 flashes" setting
If the turn signal blinks twice, you changed it to the "5 flashes" setting
If the turn signal blinks three times, you changed it to the "7 flashes" setting
If the turn signal blinks four times, you turned the function off.

Once this is done, cycle the ignition switch off, and back on, and it should be changed.
The following 2 users liked this post by doodlebug:
Raziel022 (03-17-23), Tolerant (01-27-18)
Old 03-13-14, 02:51 PM
mbadaluc
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the instructions! They worked fine, once I realized that the wiper control has two spring loaded positions above the neutral normal position. I adjusted to 5 blinks.

I don't understand why the Owner's Manual indicates the change has to be done by the dealer and yet this item is not one of the items listed on the Personal Settings Checklist.
Old 03-13-14, 09:58 PM
sascher18
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by doodlebug
2.) Hold the wiper switch in the full up position. (this is the wiper off position)
3.) While holding the wiper switch in the full up position, turn the IG on. (two presses of the start/stop switch)
7.) Move the wiper switch down one "click" or "notch". hold for 5 seconds (same position as step 5)

To adjust how many flashes you want, you change the intermittent wiper speed switch. P1 starts with the speed switch all the way at the bottom, P4 will be the top speed. This is found on the wiper stalk.

Use the Turn Signal stalk and push down like you want to activate the left turn signal, the flashers should activate

If the turn signal blinks three times, you changed it to the "7 flashes" setting

Once this is done, cycle the ignition switch off, and back on, and it should be changed.
I can't seem to get this to work. I'm able to get the right signal to flash once. I'm setting the right stalk to P3. Turning left Signal stalk down (left turn). Hit start button to switch off and on again.
Old 03-13-14, 11:08 PM
sc00b
Pole Position

there was a post on how to do this step by step and it worked for me! try looking it up, it can be done at home
Old 03-13-14, 11:24 PM
sc00b
Pole Position

perfect how to

Originally Posted by onepointon
Do this, it may sound confusing and take a few times. Reread and try again if it fails.

I know this is confusing. I have done it to a few customer cars, and mine. The first one took a bit to understand, and I have given you the cliff notes. The repair manual is confusing as hell.

Good luck. If there are problems I will try to walk you through it.

BTW: regards to the above comment, this function cannot be changed through the Tech Stream. The method I posted is the only way it can be changed.
Old 03-14-14, 05:58 AM
toyotatom
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Got it to work except for the part where you turn the direction signal like you are making a left hand turn, the signal came on and stayed on like you were making a left hand turn. Anyway somehow it changed to 7 flashes which is better than three.
Old 03-16-14, 06:50 PM
Heard006
Driver School Candidate

For whatever reason, the last step(Use the Turn Signal stalk and push down like you want to activate the left turn signal, the flashers should activate) took me three times to complete. Anyway, now it's set to five blinks.

Other technology changes:
*turned off the seatbelt reminder dinging(this was done at the dealership)
turned off eco light(kept thinking the blinker was turning on ... so annoying)

I sure I'll find more
Old 03-19-14, 09:56 AM
smardav
Lead Lap

Seems like im so dumb. I dont seem to quite figure it out. Can someone explain to me:
1. Which one is the full off position? It says that its when the wiper is off. That means we dont have to hold the stalk? Or should I pull it up a notch? Or should I pull it up till it clicks and hold it there?
2. Do we have to hold for exactly 5 seconds?
3. Whats the different between rest position and off position?
4. When you said move down one notch, is it to the intermittent mode or moving it down one click till the wiper actually move constantly?
Thanks
Old 03-19-14, 10:35 AM
toyotatom
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by smardav
Seems like im so dumb. I dont seem to quite figure it out. Can someone explain to me:
1. Which one is the full off position? It says that its when the wiper is off. That means we dont have to hold the stalk? Or should I pull it up a notch? Or should I pull it up till it clicks and hold it there?
2. Do we have to hold for exactly 5 seconds?
3. Whats the different between rest position and off position?
4. When you said move down one notch, is it to the intermittent mode or moving it down one click till the wiper actually move constantly?
Thanks
I had trouble also, but somehow it got changed to 7 blinks so Im leaving it there. I will try to answer your questions.

1. Full off is at the top position on the wiper switch, just found that out, all though Im sure no one holds the wiper switch in that position when its not raining
2. That's the number that's out there so I guess you have to. Do at least 5 seconds for sure.
3. I think the positions are the same just worded different.
4. When they say one notch its with the main wiper switch, move the stalk all the way to the top and hold it there for 5 seconds, release it just a little bit and you can feel it land in another notch. So in other words the notch is in between full up and the off position, its there you can feel it.
The only thing you do with intermittent wiper switch is choose how many blinks you want once you complete the previous steps with the main wiper switch. If you want 5 blinks set the intermittent to P2 which is 2nd position from the bottom. good luck

Last edited by toyotatom; 03-19-14 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Wrong info

Quick Reply: How to: Changing Lane Change Flasher from 3 to 5 or 7