IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

a fully optioned F sport DOES exist! do why cant we get one?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-13, 02:09 PM
AMalick
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Glashub
See -- why no adaptive cruise control? What is it about SA that would cause them to think South Africans wouldn't option adaptive cruise control I wonder?
Very Strange indeed because a golf 7 comes standard with adaptive cruise control in SA. The Lexus demographic division needs a new boss
Old 09-22-13, 04:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Just because those features would be available in a package costing more than $49K (the current top out for the IS 350 F-Sport) doesn't mean you people who don't care about the options would have to buy the package. I figure a fully loaded F-Sport with those features might run $53k...which is still cheaper than a comparably equipped 3 Series or C Class, or even a Q50.

My GS was just abput $60k. Theres a package with radar cruise and HUD and ML and all that is around $65k, its rare and I personally wouldn't spend that for the GS, but its there for someone who wants it. People on the forum have them, my dealer had a couple when I got my GS. They wouldn't need ALL these features, but a couple of them are really glaringly lacking from a car of this caliber and to me they are leather memory seats. Basically any other car at the IS' price point has those features standard, and to be unable to get them on the IS F Sport just sticks out.

I think the issue is that Lexus did not have confidence that the F Sport would sell well here, and obviously they were wrong...

I think its a damn shame people are posting on a forum trying to wire up memory seats on their new $50,000 Lexus IS350s...

Americans pay $60k+ for the 3 series. Infiniti isn't afraid to offer a Q50 with an over $50k price tag optioned up, and they are in a FAR weaker market position than Lexus.

I think Lexus pulled their punches here and needlessly so. I think the new IS is a blast, and I honestly have thought about replacing our Jeep with one for my wife (don't really NEED an SUV), but I would want the F Sport, and truly the big thing that would deter me is lack of memory seats. We don't have them in the Jeep (one package too low) and since we both drive it a lot (which we would the IS the same way) readjusting seats and mirrors and such is a pain. If they sold USB here I might just put up with it.

Last edited by SW17LS; 09-22-13 at 04:49 PM.
Old 09-22-13, 05:09 PM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Just because those features would be available in a package costing more than $49K (the current top out for the IS 350 F-Sport) doesn't mean you people who don't care about the options would have to buy the package. I figure a fully loaded F-Sport with those features might run $53k...which is still cheaper than a comparably equipped 3 Series or C Class, or even a Q50.

My GS was just abput $60k. Theres a package with radar cruise and HUD and ML and all that is around $65k, its rare and I personally wouldn't spend that for the GS, but its there for someone who wants it. People on the forum have them, my dealer had a couple when I got my GS. They wouldn't need ALL these features, but a couple of them are really glaringly lacking from a car of this caliber and to me they are leather memory seats. Basically any other car at the IS' price point has those features standard, and to be unable to get them on the IS F Sport just sticks out.

I think the issue is that Lexus did not have confidence that the F Sport would sell well here, and obviously they were wrong...

I think its a damn shame people are posting on a forum trying to wire up memory seats on their new $50,000 Lexus IS350s...

Americans pay $60k+ for the 3 series. Infiniti isn't afraid to offer a Q50 with an over $50k price tag optioned up, and they are in a FAR weaker market position than Lexus.

I think Lexus pulled their punches here and needlessly so. I think the new IS is a blast, and I honestly have thought about replacing our Jeep with one for my wife (don't really NEED an SUV), but I would want the F Sport, and truly the big thing that would deter me is lack of memory seats. We don't have them in the Jeep (one package too low) and since we both drive it a lot (which we would the IS the same way) readjusting seats and mirrors and such is a pain. If they sold USB here I might just put up with it.
I think you make a very thoughtful post here. I realize I am only one person, but I would have paid more for the IS 350 F Sport AWD, Nav/ML I ordered. Before I test drove the IS, I was going to get either a BMW 335 xdrive or a 435 xdrive, priced out at MSRP's of about $58k and $61k respectively. I was delighted that the MSRP of the IS was $49,000, but that was just a bonus. I chose based on drivability and the "fun" factor, not caring too much about many other options except the sound system. So, what I wanted was available and what was not, I did not want.

Yet, I would have paid for other options if "required" to get the IS. Certainly, others who want these add ons (leather, memory seats, etc) should be allowed to order them. Perhaps you are correct that Lexus underestimed the demand for the IS. Yet, as others have posted, Lexus has apparently conducted thorough marketing research as to what will sell and what the critical price points are in various countries.
Old 09-22-13, 05:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

As someone who has been around the brand for 15 years these decisions mystify me. Lexus has never really been a "feature" brand. Their cars have always lacked "gizmos" if you will that competitors had, but the basic tenets of luxury have always been there, great leather, great materials, nice trims, and basic luxury features that truly get appreciated in your every day use...like memory seats. They have also always offered options in other markets they don't offer here, in an attempt to keep it simple here.

What mystifies me though is what they have chosen to omit on this vehicle...leather seats and memory seats really grab me as being glaring omissions....these things were par for the course in an entry level car 10 years ago...and today you start talking about things like cooled seats, rain sensing wipers, etc being "a given" but certainly memory seats.
Old 09-22-13, 05:23 PM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
As someone who has been around the brand for 15 years these decisions mystify me. Lexus has never really been a "feature" brand. Their cars have always lacked "gizmos" if you will that competitors had, but the basic tenets of luxury have always been there, great leather, great materials, nice trims, and basic luxury features that truly get appreciated in your every day use...like memory seats. They have also always offered options in other markets they don't offer here, in an attempt to keep it simple here.

What mystifies me though is what they have chosen to omit on this vehicle...leather seats and memory seats really grab me as being glaring omissions....these things were par for the course in an entry level car 10 years ago...and today you start talking about things like cooled seats, rain sensing wipers, etc being "a given" but certainly memory seats.
Yes, my 2002 3 series had all these things (except cooled seats). Our 1999 Rx300 (still on the road) has that great leather, etc. that you descirbe that my wife still enjoys,